1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 16:31
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    so basicaly, what you are saying is that the grand poobah of christianity should remove santorum from the equation and form a better PR office in order to trick people into christianity?

the message of christianity is quite clear, if you don't understand that santorum is not speaking for it, you probably wouldn't follow christianity anyway. someone ...[text shortened]... t be offended by santorum. in fact nobody should be offended by what a retarded zealot says
    Do you think people like Santorum are tarnishing Christianity's image amongst the general public? Yes or no.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 16:382 edits
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Do you think people like Santorum are tarnishing Christianity's image amongst the general public? Yes or no.
    I would say 'not much'. I would hope he is tarnishing the image of the republican party, but then I am not sure if that can get tarnished mush more. It (and Santorum) seems to have a remarkably large number of followers though.

I think its a question of whether you see Santorums message to be as a result of his Christianity, or a result of his politics, or a result of his stupidity.

Also, Christianity large number of denominations works in its favour. If someone says the wrong things, then it is his denomination that gets tarnished. If the Pope says the wrong thing, then its 'Catholicism' that gets blamed, not 'Christianity'. If a fundamentalist says something wrong then the Catholics do not get tarnished.

Islaam, being so much more united (or appearing to be so) tends to suffer whenever one of its members does something wrong. If there is a terrorist act, people are sometimes say 'its the extremists', but just as often they blame Islam in general.
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 16:46
    i thought i answered that
    if you cannot understand any of what i said, please let me know, i would be happy to explain
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 16:50
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    i thought i answered that
    if you cannot understand any of what i said, please let me know, i would be happy to explain
    Don't bother.
  5. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 16:51
    It is well documented that "the nones" (people with no religious affiliation) are the fastest growing segment of the population. They're around 16% of the population and rising. When people like Santorum get on the campaign trail and spew their bile, it further alienates large segments of the population, who are horrified at his medieval notions. The hard c ...[text shortened]... like Santorum continue to be the face of Christianity, I think this process is inevitable.
    I think if Christianity can withstand the Roman empire then it can come through anything. The success of our faith is not dependent on anything other than the Holy Spirit. Once you understand that Jesus is actually far far more than just some medieval belief system then you will not make such predictions.

The fact that you think it will go away shows how much you do not understand it. Sure , religion will come and go and churches may be demolished but the Spirit cannot be killed off or diminished by such trends. Infact if what you have described happens it might actually be part of God's plan for the church to re-invent itself and move away from all that medieval , creationist and homophobic nonsense into a fully fledged modern faith that shows the world who Jesus really is.
  6. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 16:58
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I would say 'not much'. I would hope he is tarnishing the image of the republican party, but then I am not sure if that can get tarnished mush more. It (and Santorum) seems to have a remarkably large number of followers though.

I think its a question of whether you see Santorums message to be as a result of his Christianity, or a result of his politics ...[text shortened]... e are sometimes say 'its the extremists', but just as often they blame Islam in general.
    It seems clear to me that Santorum's politics are a result of his particular brand of Christianity. He has a large following, yes, but I think they are a shrinking minority who become more shrill the smaller their numbers get. I also don't think the various denominations are quite as well defined as they used to be. Protestants used to hate Catholics. But now as long as you're an evangelical they all seem to be cozy with each other.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 17:04
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    I think if Christianity can withstand the Roman empire then it can come through anything. The success of our faith is not dependent on anything other than the Holy Spirit. Once you understand that Jesus is actually far far more than just some medieval belief system then you will not make such predictions.

The fact that you think it will go away sh ...[text shortened]... homophobic nonsense into a fully fledged modern faith that shows the world who Jesus really is.
    I say that if Christianity cannot shake off the growing influence of hard core evangelicals then it will eventually doom itself to oblivion. It would be interesting to see Christianity transform itself into "a fully fledged modern faith", but I doubt it will happen. I see them doubling down on things like creationism until they've driven themselves into extinction.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 17:20
    I have not been following him, I've seen him talked about, but that isn't the
    samething.
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 17:211 edit
    It is well documented that "the nones" (people with no religious affiliation) are the fastest growing segment of the population. They're around 16% of the population and rising. When people like Santorum get on the campaign trail and spew their bile, it further alienates large segments of the population, who are horrified at his medieval notions. The hard c like Santorum continue to be the face of Christianity, I think this process is inevitable.
    I have no interest in Santorum. Ron Paul is my Christian for President. 😏

P.S. Santorum is a fake Christian anyway.
  10. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 17:22
    I say that if Christianity cannot shake off the growing influence of hard core evangelicals then it will eventually doom itself to oblivion. It would be interesting to see Christianity transform itself into "a fully fledged modern faith", but I doubt it will happen. I see them doubling down on things like creationism until they've driven themselves into extinction.
    Christianity might die off but the Holy Spirit will still draw men to Jesus.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 17:394 edits
    Originally posted by knightmeister
    Christianity might die off but the Holy Spirit will still draw men to Jesus.
    I have nothing to say on ringwett's main concern here.

But I say Amen to what knightmeister just said.
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 17:49
    It is well documented that "the nones" (people with no religious affiliation) are the fastest growing segment of the population. They're around 16% of the population and rising. When people like Santorum get on the campaign trail and spew their bile, it further alienates large segments of the population, who are horrified at his medieval notions. The hard c ...[text shortened]... like Santorum continue to be the face of Christianity, I think this process is inevitable.
    I don't believe all "hard core evangelicals eat it up"

A lot of that impression is media hype.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 21:10
    The fate of Christianity is what it is, but I agree that people like Santorum are greasing up the slippery slope. As you say, the influence of secularism is increasing, but this may be a thing of being "the right time" for such a movement. More people than ever are falling away from the church and more young people than ever are embracing atheism. It's the times we live in. We're in the last days, a time when the "things of this world" are more prevalent and powerful than religion. This is just a foreshadowing of the emergence of the AntiChrist and the billions that will gladly follow him. If you think things are bad for Christians now, just wait. I expect that after the AntiChrist comes to power and then 3.5 years later proclaims himself to be God, Christians still alive in the world will see a holocaust of biblical proportions aimed directly at them, forcing them underground.
  14. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 21:39
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The fate of Christianity is what it is, but I agree that people like Santorum are greasing up the slippery slope. As you say, the influence of secularism is increasing, but this may be a thing of being "the right time" for such a movement. More people than ever are falling away from the church and more young people than ever are embracing atheism. It's t ...[text shortened]... see a holocaust of biblical proportions aimed directly at them, forcing them underground.
    Ah yes, she who wishes to divorce herself of the "fundie term" (presumably for its negative connotations) introduces yet once more the Anti-christ and a grand apocalypse.

It's ok though, when the minions of hell wage war we shall all be equipped with a long sword +4 (they can deal a whopping 5-12 slash and magic damage!!!) 🙂
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Mar '12 22:20
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Ah yes, she who wishes to divorce herself of the "fundie term" (presumably for its negative connotations) introduces yet once more the Anti-christ and a grand apocalypse.

It's ok though, when the minions of hell wage war we shall all be equipped with a long sword +4 (they can deal a whopping 5-12 slash and magic damage!!!) 🙂
    I think I would prefer a Mossberg 500. 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree