Is The Bible Accurate?

Is The Bible Accurate?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
27 Jan 06

Originally posted by The Chess Express
There are plenty of people here who doubt that the Bible is accurate, or that God told the authors what to write, but lets consider the evidence.

Below I’ve listed 20 places where the author accurately wrote about things that were not known or accepted in his day. Might this indicate a divine connection?

A = What the author wrote. B = The be ...[text shortened]... Snow and ice seen as valuable. Job 38:22
[b]B
Snow and ice seen as a scourge and waste.[/b]
Well let me tell you my story. Please excuse some of my misspelled words for im terrible at spelling. Anyways I was going to a bible school in St Paul Minnesota, USA I allways knew that God was real. Only a fool full of pride in his own mind would think that they can explain away the creation without God in it. But I allways thought the bible was not totally correct. Due to the human err in translation to present. Then I found the perfect conterdiction. It has to do with the two thiefs crucified next to Jesus. In the gospel of luke it says one thief hurled insults at Jesus why the other repented and rebuked the other thief. (Luke chapter 23, verses 39 threw 43.) Then in the gospels of Matthew and Mark it says that both thiefs hurled insults at Jesus and says nothing about either of them repenting. (Mark, chapter 15, verse 32.) (Matthew, chapter, 27 verse 44.) Wow! Here I had my proof that the bible was not correct threw and threw. So I prayed earnestly for 2 days for God to tell me which gospel was correct. Not that I was expecting a answer or anything. God didnt talk to me much back then. At least I didnt think so. Everytime He did I just thought I was losing my mind. But I had to know the truth about the bible seeing that most of my faith in God was based on His Living Word. So I prayed hard and long and even with tears because my faith was being questioned in my own mind. Then as real as you speaking to me God chuckled and quitely said; David they both are correct. At first both did hurl insults at Me. And then later one repented and is with Me. End of conversation. No God does not have conversations with me. But sometimes as real as can be He will tell me sometihng that He feels is important for me to know. So to all you out there that knock God, or hate Him, or dont beleave in Him. Just remember if you have even the amount of time left that the thief had before he was to die. If you were knowing you were gonna die. which you are by the way. Pray to Him. He will allways forgive you if you really mean it. Nomatter how late in your life. Nomatter how much you wasted your life. Nomatter how much you sinned. Your forgiven. He loves you with all His heart. And allways did. and He wants you back with Him. God Bless; David

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
27 Jan 06

Originally posted by Nemesio
If you want to count it as a 'win,' feel free to stamp a little 'X' over the icon 'Nemesio'
you have on your wall.
Nemesio
Your last post in that thread contained a bunch of rhetorical questions, some sarcasm...
Rhetorical, meaning, not requiring an answer. Not true. You were asked pointblank questions, which you continue to half-answer. The half part being the part which agrees with your premise. Sarcasm is your calling card, but you'll forgive me when I use the same, I'm certain.

You conclude that because it looks like worship, it's either idolatry or Jesus must be God. Such a conclusion is based on an incomplete or erroneous understanding of what the Messiah signifies to a 1st-century Jew
The conclusion is based upon Scripture first, implications second, results third. Please, enlighten all of us on the first century Jew's perspective of the Messiah. Do try to use Isaiah and the Psalms in your explanation, and don't leave out Codex 1 of the Law.

explain your foible in asking me to turn to the Greek when it said precisely what I indicated in English, and your conclusions drawn in spite of the evidence.
Your pretense is surpassed only by your obstinacy. The Greek of the parts and the Greek of the whole leave but one conclusion.

If you want to address the passages I cited and the conclusions drawn from them, feel free to reopen that thread and let's continue to exchange information.
The thread was left two weeks ago, volleyed to your side of the court, still waiting response.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
27 Jan 06
2 edits

Originally posted by KingDavid403
Well let me tell you my story. Please excuse some of my misspelled words for im terrible at spelling. Anyways I was going to a bible school in St Paul Minnesota, USA I allways knew that God was real. Only a fool full of pride in his own mind would think that they can explain away the creation without God in it. But I allways thought the bible was ...[text shortened]... s you with all His heart. And allways did. and He wants you back with Him. God Bless; David
Hey thanks for sharing that. It goes to show that Jer 29:13 “And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.” is just the truth of it. People tend to want evidence first in order to believe in something, with God it’s the other way around.

One non-subscriber’s rec from me. God bless. 🙂

Edit: Makes you wonder whether all the time and energy people spend researching the authenticity of the Bible couldn’t be better spent in prayer.

D

Moves
27 Jan 06

LOL!

So you're a 'badge' man. How many books have I read? How many degrees do I have?
How many articles have I published?

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese.

A fact presented by a layman or an expert remains a fact. If you wish to wrestle with
the issues, then let's do so.

If you wish to just post nonsense, expect people with facts (regardle ...[text shortened]... f how they
obtained them -- college courses or independent study) to expose it.

Nemesio
🙂 You set yourself up as the authority figure, not I. I was just trying to see if there was any weight behind your claim. I see you're just like the rest of us, trying to find the truth.

As far as the apocrypha goes, the OT canon (as established in 90 AD) did not include them and the Catholic church didn't officially include them until the Council of Trent. This article explains it well and has a lot of good references in it if you'd like to chase them down.
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Roman%20Catholicism/rcc16-apocrypha.htm

DF

D

Moves
27 Jan 06

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=35981

St Paul clearly did not think of Jesus as God, and neither did the
authors of the Synoptic Gospels. St John's Gospel comes the closest
to approaching that, but even it has passages which make such a
conclusion questionable.

Go through the thread and read what I wrote. Try to ignore th ...[text shortened]... God, He was close to
God, He came from God, but He is not equal to God in any way.

Nemesio
I read over that thread, thank you.
It can be confusing when trying to determine if Jesus actually was God or not. You are correct in saying that Jesus never actually said, "I am God, worship me!" in those words. But we do have the following:

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:14 And the Word became flesh, and tabernacled among us. And we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and of truth.
The 'Word became flesh' is referencing Jesus, which, from 1:1, is a direct statement that He's God.

John 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”
Here, Jesus is claiming to be God. This is a reference to an OT passage where Moses was talking with God and God said His name is "I am".

Joh 5:22 For the Father judges no man, but has committed all judgment to the Son, (23) so that all should honor the Son, even as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.
John 20:28 And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”
Heb 1:6 And again, when He brings in the First-born into the world, He says, "And let all the angels of God worship Him."
In these passages, Jesus says it's OK to worship Him, He accepts worship, and the angels are allowed to worship Him.
To worship anything less than God breaks the first commandment. This shows Jesus to be God before and after His incarnation.

To see Jesus as God one has to look at the whole Bible. There is only one way the entire book can be true, Jesus was fully man and fully God. It doesn't make a lot of sense at first glance (or even the 2nd or 3rd) but when taken as a whole, it does.

If you think that this is just a Christian pouring meaning into the words of the Bible, I'll remind you that the Jews killed Jesus because He called Himself God.
Joh 10:33 The Jews answered Him, saying, We do not stone you for a good work, but for blasphemy, and because you, being a man, make yourself God.

DF

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
27 Jan 06

Hey thanks for sharing that. It goes to show that Jer 29:13 “And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.” is just the truth of it. People tend to want evidence first in order to believe in something, with God it’s the other way around.

One non-subscriber’s rec from me. God bless. 🙂

[b]Edit:
Makes ...[text shortened]... nergy people spend researching the authenticity of the Bible couldn’t be better spent in prayer.[/b]
If you ever become a subscriber please feel free to join our clan. (King Davids Mighty Warriors Clan) After King David and his mighty men of the Bible. We would be glad to have you on our team. Hey we even have a rude, naked, bishop in our clan. lol Hes good at chess so i just look the other way. lol God Bless! David

TCE

Colorado

Moves
27 Jan 06
1 edit

If you ever become a subscriber please feel free to join our clan. (King Davids Mighty Warriors Clan) After King David and his mighty men of the Bible. We would be glad to have you on our team. Hey we even have a rude, naked, bishop in our clan. lol Hes good at chess so i just look the other way. lol God Bless! David
Thanks for the offer. I’d like to join your clan, but I’ve decided that as long as the moderators say stuff like this

Originally posted by Russ
Inappropriate language/swearing/bad language is not acceptable on these public forums.

A tolerant approach, where the context of the post has been considered, has not been successful. One person's use of inappropriate language just seems to feed the desire of others to swear, and when one post is moderated and not another, it always causes complaints of unfair treatment.

Therefore, all posts containing inappropriate language will be removed. As a general guideline, if you would not repeat your post word for word to your mother, then don't post it!

All posts containing language deemed inappropriate will be removed, regardless of how masterful the post was. So if you don't want it removed, check your language. No consideration for post content will be given.

and then do nothing, I can no longer support this site. I hope you have fun here though. Glad to have you in the forums.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
27 Jan 06
2 edits

Originally posted by DragonFriend
I read over that thread, thank you.
It can be confusing when trying to determine if Jesus actually was God or not. You are correct in saying that Jesus never actually said, "I am God, worship me!" in those words. But we do have the following:

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Joh 1:14 And th ood work, but for blasphemy, and because you, being a man, make yourself God.

DF
If you think that this is just a Christian pouring meaning into the words of the Bible, I'll remind you that the Jews killed Jesus because He called Himself God.

John 31 The Jews took up stones again to stone him. 32 Jesus replied, "I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these are you going to stone me?" 33 The Jews answered, "It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you, but for blasphemy, because you, though only a human being, are making yourself God." 34 Jesus answered, "Is it not written in your law, 'I said, you are gods'? 35 If those to whom the word of God came were called 'gods'—and the scripture cannot be annulled— 36 can you say that the one whom the Father has sanctified and sent into the world is blaspheming because I said, 'I am God's Son'?

(1) The “Jews” did not kill Jesus; the Romans did. The main Jewish group implicated in seeking Jesus' death are the sadducees.

(2) The word “Jews” in this Gospel may well refer simply to the residents of Judea (apparently this was a common designation), the “southern kingdom” as opposed to the defunct “northern kingdom,” the area which included Galilee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jews_in_the_New_Testament/JNT

It may also refer solely to those religious authorities who sought Jesus' death (i.e., the saducees).

Another possibility is that, at the time of the writing of the Gospel of John, the Temple had been destroyed, and the two surviving Jewish religious groups were the Pharisees (the root of rabbinical Judaism, the Pharisees were opposed to the Sadducees and the Temple cult) and the followers of Jesus. In a time of heightened danger, fear and tension, the relations between the two groups deteriorated.

(3) Jesus and his disciples were religiously and ethnically Jews.

(4) The above-quoted passages from John are interesting in that Jesus counters the accusation that calling himself the “Son of God” is blasphemy by quoting Psalm 82:6, Ani amartey elohim aten v’benei elyon kolkem; “I say, gods (elohim) you are, and sons of the Most High (elyon) all of you.” Therefore, if God calls all of the community of Israel “gods” and children of elyon, how can Jesus' claim be blasphemous when he is claiming no more (or less) divinity here than all of them. (See Geza Vermez’ Jesus the Jew for an exploration of the Judaic background of the phrase “son of God.” )

At bottom, any Jew could say he was a son of God. Note that in the face of this argument they refrained from stoning him (though they subsequently tried to have him arrested).

King David

Planet Earth.

Moves
27 Jan 06

Thanks for the offer. I’d like to join your clan, but I’ve decided that as long as the moderators say stuff like this

[b]Originally posted by Russ

[i]Inappropriate language/swearing/bad language is not acceptable on these public forums.

A tolerant approach, where the context of the post has been considered, has not been successful. One ...[text shortened]... no longer support this site. I hope you have fun here though. Glad to have you in the forums.[/b]
I Dont understand! Please Explain? I think what you saying is theres swearing going on in the posts and that Russ is not doing anything about it, Am I correct? Well I do know that Russ just kicked a member out of RHP for swearing in the clan goading posts. Russ does a good job running this site. You have to remember hes dealing with people all over the world. If we run and hide from Everywhere theres sin? Then we would have to lock ourselfs in our houses and do nothing. And then we become useless to God or anyone. The fact of the matter is people swear and sin. I swear sometimes in my anger. Its less now thats forsure. But I still do. And Im sure you do it once in awhile too. I am a sinner! Saved only by Gods Grace! Just like everybody else. Its nothing I do, or dont do. Expecting Russ to control all the sin at RHP is crazy. And its expecting him to be like God. Hes only human. And only has so much time in a day. I do know that if someone takes it to far they are gone. I can respect that you dont like the swearing in posts. But your still here! Weather a member or not your here. And your still paying cause you have to deal with all those stupid adds that help pay for this site, that mess your computer up and so on. Do as you wish. But all I know is Jesus still payed my price even thow I am a sinner. And I sure am NOT worthy of His payment. But He still payed it. Why? His Love for all of us. Jesus two commandments. 1. Love God with all your heart, Mind, soul, and strength. And the SECOND IS LIKE THE FIRST. 2. Love your fellow humans as yourself. It does not say only love them if they dont sin or swear. It does not say dont love them if they dont act the way we and God would like them to. It says love them. I thank God That He still loves me even thow Im a filthy sinner. Even thow He has cleaned me up ALOT. His Blood continues to wash away my filth to make me even cleaner. As you said earlyer. Prayer is the answer. Will you pray for the swearers? Will you pray for Russ? Will you pray for all of us at RHP? Will you love us all as yourself? Jesus said pray for your enemys. love those that persacute you. Its Hard I know. And you will fail sometimes as we all do. And it will seem that your prayer is not being heard. But does this mean we just give up? Do we just quit having faith, hope, and love in God and our fellow humans???? God Bless. David

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Jan 06

Well let me tell you my story. Please excuse some of my misspelled words for im terrible at spelling. Anyways I was going to a bible school in St Paul Minnesota, USA I allways knew that God was real. Only a fool full of pride in his own mind would think that they can explain away the creation without God in it. But I allways thought the bible was ...[text shortened]... s you with all His heart. And allways did. and He wants you back with Him. God Bless; David
Good post David, I enjoyed reading it. The word of God is accurate. You may have received revelation about the contradiction but you didn't get the details. The apparent contradiction is resolved when you do a study and find there were 4 others crucified with Him, making it a total of 5 crosses. For more study on this go here....

http://www.truthortradition.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=516

BTW, you get my rec.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
28 Jan 06
2 edits

I Dont understand! Please Explain? I think what you saying is theres swearing going on in the posts and that Russ is not doing anything about it, Am I correct? Well I do know that Russ just kicked a member out of RHP for swearing in the clan goading posts. Russ does a good job running this site. You have to remember hes dealing with people all ...[text shortened]... ? Do we just quit having faith, hope, and love in God and our fellow humans???? God Bless. David
I Dont understand! Please Explain? I think what you saying is theres swearing going on in the posts and that Russ is not doing anything about it, Am I correct?

Calm down, please, I have nothing against you, really. Swearing is one thing. You are quite correct that I occasionally swear as well. Personal attacks are another matter.

Proverbs 16:27 An ungodly man diggeth up evil: and in his lips there is as a burning fire.

Well I do know that Russ just kicked a member out of RHP for swearing in the clan goading posts.

Let me guess. This member was not popular with the others i.e. not many recs.

Russ does a good job running this site.

Maybe the site, but not the forum.

You have to remember hes dealing with people all over the world. If we run and hide from Everywhere theres sin? Then we would have to lock ourselfs in our houses and do nothing.

I’m talking about keeping the forum descent, not becoming a basket case.

I am a sinner!

Is this a boast? Jesus tells us not to sin.

Saved only by Gods Grace! Just like everybody else. Its nothing I do, or dont do.

This is not true. There are plenty of things that a good Christian needs to do.

James 2:26 "For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." KJV

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder for them that diligently seek him.

2 Tim 3:16-17 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Expecting Russ to control all the sin at RHP is crazy. And its expecting him to be like God. Hes only human. And only has so much time in a day. I do know that if someone takes it to far they are gone.

I have given the moderators documented personal attacks made by certain members here a number of times. It does no good. Once a member gets above a certain rec number they win immunity.

I can respect that you dont like the swearing in posts. But your still here! Weather a member or not your here. And your still paying cause you have to deal with all those stupid adds that help pay for this site, that mess your computer up and so on.

Good point. Perhaps I should leave.

Do as you wish. But all I know is Jesus still payed my price even thow I am a sinner. And I sure am NOT worthy of His payment.

If you were not worthy of Jesus he would never have come down here for you. If we are not worthy of Jesus why does he tell us to be like him? God made us in his image.

Matthew 10:38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Have you taken up your cross? If so then you are worthy of him! BELIEVE IT DAMNIT! 😏

Jesus two commandments. 1. Love God with all your heart, Mind, soul, and strength. And the SECOND IS LIKE THE FIRST. 2. Love your fellow humans as yourself. It does not say only love them if they dont sin or swear. It does not say dont love them if they dont act the way we and God would like them to. It says love them.

Loving the wicked doesn’t necessarily mean subjecting yourself to their ways.

Amos 5:14 Seek good, and not evil, that ye may live: and so the LORD, the God of hosts, shall be with you, as ye have spoken.

Proverbs 23:9 Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom of thy words.

1 Corinthians 5:9-13 (King James Version)I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: 10Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortionists, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world. 11But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. 12For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? 13But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

I thank God That He still loves me even thow Im a filthy sinner. Even thow He has cleaned me up ALOT. His Blood continues to wash away my filth to make me even cleaner.

Filthy sinners don’t come to know God, try not to sin. If you must boast, boast about that.

As you said earlyer. Prayer is the answer. Will you pray for the swearers? Will you pray for Russ? Will you pray for all of us at RHP? Will you love us all as yourself? Jesus said pray for your enemys. love those that persacute you. Its Hard I know. And you will fail sometimes as we all do. And it will seem that your prayer is not being heard. But does this mean we just give up? Do we just quit having faith, hope, and love in God and our fellow humans???

Uh…I pray for the world, does that count? If it makes any difference I have forgiven everybody (and I continue to do so). 😞

God Bless. David

God bless. Hey, next time you strike up a conversation with God, ask him about me would you? 🙂

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
28 Jan 06
1 edit

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
The thread was left two weeks ago, volleyed to your side of the court, still waiting response.
As I explained in the thread, and as I will remind you here, I had no intention of continuing
with the thread with your repeated assertions in spite of evidence. You can pretend the Bible
says whatever you want on this matter. What it actually says is another matter.

When you want to deal with my questions (which you have left wholly unanswered),
then I will resume the thread. Your conclusions before the proof approach is wearisome
and I am not going to entertain this merry-go-round of a thread any further.

Answer my points for once and engage in discussion, stop posturing as if you've
made conclusions based on either Scripture or history, and stop thinking of this as a
competition with a 'winner' and a 'loser' and you'll find I will resume the thread with
the interest this topic deserves.

Until then, you can volley all you want. All you're doing is double faulting.

Nemesio

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
28 Jan 06
1 edit

I have given the moderators documented personal attacks made by certain members here a number of times. It does no good. Once a member gets above a certain rec number they win immunity.

Consider it like a pick-up basket ball game where the usual rule is "no blood, no foul". If you can show me an example of damages you incurred from being spoken to harshly I will take your complaint seriously. Until then...sticks and stones...

TheSkipper

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
28 Jan 06

As I explained in the thread, and as I will remind you here, I had no intention of continuing
with the thread with your repeated assertions in spite of evidence. You can pretend the Bible
says whatever you want on this matter. What it actually says is another matter.

When you want to deal with my questions (which you have left wholly una ...[text shortened]... Until then, you can volley all you want. All you're doing is double faulting.

Nemesio
Spoken like a true believer.

TCE

Colorado

Moves
28 Jan 06

Originally posted by TheSkipper
Consider it like a pick-up basket ball game where the usual rule is "no blood, no foul". If you can show me an example of damages you incurred from being spoken to harshly I will take your complaint seriously. Until then...sticks and stones...

TheSkipper
Hmmmm…damages…you mean like how they make people feel? What do you consider to be an example of damages? Why bother to have a TOS?