1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 20:452 edits
    Originally posted by abnoxio
    KellyJay has quite a high chess rating, he's certainly not unintelligent
    Chess rating is a poor indicator of intelligence. [This is not meant as a slight on KellyJay.] One of the reasons is that knowing chess theory is essential to playing well, and this is gained by study and experience. Raw intelligence alone is not enough.

For example, Albert Einstein was reputedly an 1800 player, while John Wayne played at a 2000+ level, yet few would claim John Wayne was smarter than Einstein.
  2. Standard memberabnoxio
    M.U.T.I
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 20:47
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Oh. I stand corrected.

According to Wikipedia:

Estimates put the total number of species, described and undescribed, at between 5 and 8 million.

That means between 10 and 16 million (two of each kind) aboard the Arc...
    Well Kent Hovind and others believe that two of every "kind" of animal, means a for example, a dog, who later spawned wolves, hyenas, yorkshire terriers, coyotes, jackals....etc. This reduces the number of animals on the ark, but not below absurdity. Yet it creates another problem, super evolution. Meaning that within 6000 years or so a "kind" of animal became a common ancestor to thousands of species. It gets sillier and sillier. Don't get me started on the flood creating the grand canyon in a couple of weeks.
  3. Standard memberabnoxio
    M.U.T.I
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 20:521 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Chess rating is a poor indicator of intelligence. [This is not meant as a slight on KellyJay.] One of the reasons is that knowing chess theory is essential to playing well, and this is gained by study and experience. Raw intelligence alone is not enough.

For example, Albert Einstein was reputedly an 1800 player, while John Wayne played at a 2000+ level, yet few would claim John Wayne was smarter than Einstein.
    Are you kidding me? John Wayne played at 2000? Holy crap! I wonder what Clint Eastwood plays at.

Plus I agree that chess abilities are not, necessarily, an indication of intelligence, I know a guy who is a friggin genius and he plays at about 1309 at this writing. He's got his big head kid looking avatar, can't remember his name.
  4. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 22:472 edits
    Absent many, many magical interventions, the Ark story could not be literal. Some people, like KJ, are comfortable with that. I recognize that there's really no debate to be had with him. He accepts miracle (i.e., magical) solutions. I do not.

Now there are plenty of Christians that believe the Ark story without any magical interventions is literal, but those people are just out to lunch.
  5. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 23:021 edit
    Originally posted by telerion
    Absent many, many magical interventions, the Ark story could not be literal. Some people, like KJ, are comfortable with that. I recognize that there's really no debate to be had with him. He accepts miracle (i.e., magical) solutions. I do not.

Now there are plenty of Christians that believe the Ark story without any magical interventions is literal, but those people are just out to lunch.
    I heard one theory to explain the Flood legend. After ice age, sea levels rose and the Mediterranean see entered in the black sea, flooding the whole region, that before was only a small lake. People living in that depressed terrain saw the whole world flooding. It coincided with a major storm, and since they were quite fond of sinning, they though it was the wrath of God.
    Well, at least, this is good fiction. A good story must make sense, and Noah's one doesn't.

I'm amusing reading the old testament. It's lots of fun. That God is a wicked bastard. I hope he dies in the end...
  6. Standard memberabnoxio
    M.U.T.I
    Moves
    14 Feb '08 23:27
    Originally posted by telerion

Yeah I agree with you on that, once you say God did it and it was a miracle, you've just got to walk away as you have no common ground you have a discussion.
  7. At the Revolution
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 01:14
    On the surface it sounds so ridiculous as to be discarded offhand.
    It is. Don't feel alone.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 09:13
    Well Kent Hovind and others believe that two of every "kind" of animal, means a for example, a dog, who later spawned wolves, hyenas, yorkshire terriers, coyotes, jackals....etc. This reduces the number of animals on the ark, but not below absurdity. Yet it creates another problem, super evolution. Meaning that within 6000 years or so a "kind" of animal beca ...[text shortened]... sillier. Don't get me started on the flood creating the grand canyon in a couple of weeks.
    One also has to ask about the plants and freshwater fish.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 09:20
    So do all miracles from any religion. They are based on the concept of violation of the laws of physics or at a minimum a violation of randomness ie if we do not think an occurrence falls within a reasonable likelihood of occurring by 'chance' then we attribute the cause to God.

My immediate questions for anyone who believes the Noahs ark story are:
    1. If it was a miracle, why didn't God simply zap all the people dead? Why the whole fancy ark / flood thing? In fact, why not simply do it the 'humane' way and make everyone except Noah infertile?
    2. If it was a miracle, why do so many 'believers' try to prove that it was possible within the laws of physics?
    3. If God stays within the laws of physics then it can rightly be discarded offhand.
  10. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 12:09
    Is the Noah's Ark story true?

It truly is a story.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 13:321 edit
    Two of every animal, and 7 of every clean animal rounded up on a boat of that size, then a global flood? You see nothing improbable about that? And dinosaurs? It's silly.
    Just a few chapters earlier in the same book, God spoke and there
    was light, stars, and on and on. You think the God who could create
    the universe by just the power of His Word would have a issue
    rounding up a few animals and getting them into a ship, dinosaurs
    included?
    Kelly
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 13:34
    Oh, you mean what kind of evidence. I see no evidence. None.
    Exactly what evidence do you think you should see that you do not?
    Kelly
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 13:35
    Originally posted by serigado
    it wouldn't happen even if you melted all the water in the poles.
    And to put ALL species , one of each kind in a ship, you would need a ship 100x bigger then titanic.
    Good thing Noah lived hundred of years, or else he would never had time to build it.
    I wonder how he went to Australia to save the koalas and kangaroos.

Just another made up story from the Bible. It's fun to tell kids, though.
    "And to put ALL species " it did not say all species.
    Kelly
  14. Standard memberabnoxio
    M.U.T.I
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 13:45
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Exactly what evidence do you think you should see that you do not?
    Kelly
    Interesting question, it implies several things, one being that the lack of evidence is not proof of non-existence. Second it attempts to shift the burden of proof to me. In other words justify your non acceptance of what I consider proof. But I can answer this way; A event such as Noahs Ark and a global flood is so implausible to the point of absurdity that it would require an amazing amount of proof for me to suspend my belief in the natural laws of the universe. I could certainly be convinced though, almost instantly if God chose to provide me with evidence that I could not interpret any other way. As of this writing your God is no more likely to exist than Prometheus, Dionysus, or Mithra.
  15. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    15 Feb '08 13:49
    Originally posted by serigado
    it wouldn't happen even if you melted all the water in the poles.
    And to put ALL species , one of each kind in a ship, you would need a ship 100x bigger then titanic.
    Good thing Noah lived hundred of years, or else he would never had time to build it.
    I wonder how he went to Australia to save the koalas and kangaroos.

Just another made up story from the Bible. It's fun to tell kids, though.
    "God did it. The Bible says it. I believe it."

That's essentially the only "consistent" defense a Noah's Ark literalist can muster.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree