1. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    24 Aug '12 23:55
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Where did the pagans get a concept of three? Why not two or four? Where did they get the idea of a God in heaven anyway? What about their belief in a virgin and a son, where did that originate from? Romans 1:20-25 tells us that man from the beginning knew God."... and their foolish hearts were darkened" (verses 25) "they exchanged the truth for a lie, and wo ...[text shortened]... ey still retained some elements of the truth but distorted its meaning and it became lost.
    This debate illustrates nicely the impossibility of shaking religious belief by using historical evidence and that is not in any case the value of this work. Those who hold to a given belief system are not dependent on that kind of evidence and can normally compartmentalise their information to prevent disturbance.

However, for a different set of people who are not committed to a religious belief system, then obviously there is a real need to account for the things set out by religions. After all, no reasonable account of human nature can ignore religious belief and no intelligible account of human history or the history of ideas can discount what is set out.

Hence, for example, to notice the way John's gospel reworks so much that was said centuries earlier by the Stoics is illuminating indeed. Why on earth start a fourth gospel with an assertion that in the beginning was the word and that god was the word? What is the reason for importing the notion of Logos into what appears to be a work of biography? There is nothing in Jewish religious thinking to invite this material. It is evidently addressed to people with some familiarity with Greek philosophy, which of course is not part of the biblical tradition.

Generally, it is interesting and important to investigate the material from which this new religion was constructed and to notice how innovations were often very clearly borrowed. This is not only the case for the content of the new religion but also for its manner of arriving at its formulations and conclusions, which often were very unlike traditional biblical thinking.

However, the point remains. This evidence is not going to shake religious convictions. It does something quite different, which is to satisfy the curiosity and interest of those who are not committed and who are nevertheless motivated to understand (in their own terms).

For the religious, it is important to be well versed in their scriptures, which answer every question (apparently to their satisfaction). For others, it is important to understand the way in which this complex system of ideas was constructed.

Where there can be a clash was pointed out, for example, by Rowan Williams who heads the Church of England. Reviewing quite a good recent book of history about early Christianity, he noted drily that it would cause severe problems for anyone insisting on the literal truth of the bible, something of course that most Christians do not waste their time on.
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    25 Aug '12 00:04
    Originally posted by finnegan
    This debate illustrates nicely the impossibility of shaking religious belief by using historical evidence and that is not in any case the value of this work. Those who hold to a given belief system are not dependent on that kind of evidence and can normally compartmentalise their information to prevent disturbance.

However, for a different set of people ...[text shortened]... iteral truth of the bible, something of course that most Christians do not waste their time on.
    And for the few that do use their time to find the truths in the Bible and the truths from Jesus himself and who he was, it is not always accepted just as he wasn't.
    And these truths unfortunently are not always acceptd by the popular religions.
    It's bucks the system and even makes them a little uncomfortable.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Aug '12 00:24
    Originally posted by galveston75
    And for the few that do use their time to find the truths in the Bible and the truths from Jesus himself and who he was, it is not always accepted just as he wasn't.
    And these truths unfortunently are not always acceptd by the popular religions.
    It's bucks the system and even makes them a little uncomfortable.
    Looks like you all shamed RJ into disappearing.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    25 Aug '12 00:28
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Looks like you all shamed RJ into disappearing.
    Maybe not. He means well and does have a lot of knowledge but just needs to get his direction straight... 🙂
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Aug '12 04:39
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Maybe not. He means well and does have a lot of knowledge but just needs to get his direction straight... 🙂
    I use the sun to get my directions straight. In the beginning of daylight, I know it is in the east and it is in the west as darkness is beginning. At other times, I am just guessing.
  6. Joined
    15 Jul '12
    Moves
    25 Aug '12 04:40
    Isn't the correct question "Is Christianity Pagan"?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Aug '12 04:57
    Originally posted by Phil Hill
    Isn't the correct question "Is Christianity Pagan"?
    No, that is not the question that I am interested in answering. I already know that Christianity is the opposite from paganism.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    25 Aug '12 07:28
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    that's a silly question to ask. pagan is a subjective term meaning non-mainstream religious beliefs. all religions will eventually become pagan as new superstitions replace the old.
    Pagan means non Abrahamic.
  9. Joined
    15 Jul '12
    Moves
    25 Aug '12 09:58
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Pagan means non Abrahamic.
    Nah, Void is right. That is the current definition of pagan. Originally it meant nothing more than one from the country (sort of like gentile).
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Aug '12 13:172 edits
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    .....now, and you're not so big.
    Thanks, but I must admit that I do need to lose a few pounds. 😏
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    25 Aug '12 13:27
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Yes, I agree, been there done that, I was raised Catholic. I never paid attention to the Trinity. I have found over the years that the explanation usually boils down to this..."The Trinity is not understood by reason nor intellect, it is accepted by faith."
    Funny but I found faith comes by hearing the words of God, not by man's doctrines. The doctrine ...[text shortened]... He is God, then it raises a slew of questions with the usual answers that don't make sense.
    If this is your belief, perhaps Islam is better for you than Christianity. Your belief is definitely not Christian. 😏
  12. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    25 Aug '12 16:23
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The pagan trinity was comprised of three Gods not one. The Greek triad of Zeus, Athena, and Apollo, the Hindu triad of Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva the Egyptian triad of Isis, Horus, and Sub. They were all separate not united as the one God and almost unanimously had a mother involved as in a heavenly family. This was really tritheism, which has more in common ...[text shortened]... s, that mankind had a true knowledge but refused to worship him and sank into idolatry.
    Good stuff

Walter Martin was the founder of CRI

Manny
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Aug '12 08:41
    Yes, I agree, been there done that, I was raised Catholic. I never paid attention to the Trinity. I have found over the years that the explanation usually boils down to this..."The Trinity is not understood by reason nor intellect, it is accepted by faith."
    Funny but I found faith comes by hearing the words of God, not by man's doctrines. The doctrine ...[text shortened]... He is God, then it raises a slew of questions with the usual answers that don't make sense.
    Who do you pray to and what name do you use when you pray to that person?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Aug '12 21:16
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Who do you pray to and what name do you use when you pray to that person?
    Sometimes Jesus , sometimes God thru Christ, but it is irrelevant because they both hear.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Aug '12 22:15
    Sometimes Jesus , sometimes God thru Christ, but it is irrelevant because they both hear.
    Being as Christ is in fact Jesus, I'll take that as you pray to Jesus, who must therefore be be your God.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree