1. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 16:46
    Is the God that you believe in, THE correct God?? I have been reading a vast amount of posts on this site, and most of them are written with an attitude of certainty that THEY are completely correct about God/Jesus, and that everyone else is wrong....or deceived by Satan. I would challenge all who are reading this to read a post by 'sonhouse' in the thread titled 'A deity does not need to test humans', on page 2. I think most probably missed this one, and it's a valid question that should be answered.

Why is YOUR God 'the' correct God? Why is your belief system completely correct, and everyone else is either just stupid, cannot read scripture correctly, deceived by Satan, or just plain wrong?? And, more importantly......a question that has come up at least 4 times recently....if someone disagrees with YOUR belief......that surely means that they do NOT love the 'true' God, and therefore are in Satan's firm grip.

I believe in a Creator.....that I call God. But have many doubts about everything else. I can freely admit, without shame, that I don't have THE absolute answer. Why can't you?? Sometimes when I am reading a response, I feel the desperation in your words the need to 'convince' people....or just yourself, because at any moment your entire belief system could crumble under your feet.

The BEST explanation I have ever heard regarding God has come from the movie 'Rudy'. The priest tells Rudy that in his 40 years of being a priest, he knows only 2 absolute certainties: 1) There is a God 2) I'm not Him.

Is your God 'the' correct God??
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 16:531 edit
    Originally posted by chaney3
    Do you think someone who has identified what they think is the "correct god" will be able at the same time to recognise it is the incorrect god?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 16:57
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Do you think someone who has identified what they think is the "correct god" will be able at the same time to recognise it is the incorrect god?
    This might depend on what your pastor has told you.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 16:58
    I don't know. It seems to me that a lot of people gain their belief system from a young age and are unwilling most of the time to 'modify' it, or at the very least listen to an open discussion on the matter. To at least entertain the thought that maybe they 'could' be wrong, despite any evidence they may be given.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 17:14
    I believe in a Creator.....
    And why do you believe that is the correct God? Why have you rejected all the non-creator gods and why do you reject the views of someone like me who says there is no god whatsoever?
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 17:16
    To at least entertain the thought that maybe they 'could' be wrong, despite any evidence they may be given.
    The problem is that evidence for which specific god is real is sorely lacking.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 17:184 edits
    Is the God that you believe in, THE correct God?? I have been reading a vast amount of posts on this site, and most of them are written with an attitude of certainty that THEY are completely correct about God/Jesus, and that everyone else is wrong....or deceived by Satan. I would challenge all who are reading this to read a post by 'sonhouse' in the thread titled 'A deity does not need to test humans', on page 2. I think most probably missed this one, and it's a valid question that should be answered.

As a Christian I recognize the other faiths could have their hands on some truth.

When the Moslem says that there is one God, how can I not say he is not correct?

Even when Buddhist says that our lives are an illusion there is some truth he has his hands on. Certainly there is something missing with God in our lives, that to that extent life is "vanity of vanities."

Believing in the God of the Bible does not preclude there are no corrects of other beliefs not based upon the Bible.

Why is YOUR God 'the' correct God? Why is your belief system completely correct, and everyone else is either just stupid, cannot read scripture correctly, deceived by Satan, or just plain wrong??

I think there are a lot of people who come to a Forum like this imagining that they are more tolerant. Actually what they display is not true tolerance but non-committal ambiguity.

A person who is like a jelly fish who has no firm belief is not necessarily a tolerant person. He's just ambiguous and floating along, lost with no definite beliefs of his own. Some people in this state point to themselves as being more tolerant.

I think to judge someone's tolerance truly, first you find someone who believes something, stands for something, and is committed to something. Then we can ascertain how tolerant that person is to others who hold a different belief. Sloppiness is not necessarily tolerance.

I do not believe every aspect of the things I teach are without any possible mistake. I think I am certainly on the right track to have received Jesus as Lord. And I think I have some grasp of many things in the Bible.

I could have some things wrong.

And, more importantly......a question that has come up at least 4 times recently....if someone disagrees with YOUR belief......that surely means that they do NOT love the 'true' God, and therefore are in Satan's firm grip.

The last very serious disagreement I had with a poster is with one who said to worship Jesus was idolatry. He's welcomed to that opinion. But I'm pretty sure it is a blasphemous one.

You can be tolerant and yet say someone is wrong about something.

I believe in a Creator.....that I call God. But have many doubts about everything else. I can freely admit, without shame, that I don't have THE absolute answer. Why can't you??

I can.
    Next question?

Sometimes when I am reading a response, I feel the desperation in your words the need to 'convince' people....or just yourself, because at any moment your entire belief system could crumble under your feet.

To that I do plead some culpability. I got saved by Jesus Christ. I think others should be saved too.

What keeps a person like me coming back to give one more try is the thought and prayer like this -

"Lord Jesus, it just cannot be JUST me. I know I was not looking for You. I know you had great mercy on me, giving me the ability to believe in You and to know You. It just CANNOT be just me Lord. I know that there are others to whom you will be equally as kind. I know that you will give that ability to believe in you to some others."

This is the fire of evangelism. It just cannot keep it to myself. If God opened my heart to Christ, I know He will do so to others.

I'm just a fool for Jesus Christ.
    Whose fool are you?

You are a little funny. You act as if all God cares about is that one have the "correct" information about God, and then go on his merry way.

More than having just the correct data about God, God seeks to me one with me in my daily and even moment to moment living. You can be "dead right" when it comes to being a follower of Jesus.

One fellow put it -
    "Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary use words."
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 17:22
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And why do you believe that is the correct God? Why have you rejected all the non-creator gods and why do you reject the views of someone like me who says there is no god whatsoever?
    I said that I believe in a Creator, and that I call him God. I am most certainly not declaring that I am correct, or trying to convince anybody of it. Your views: Putting aside the actual name of 'God', and just keeping this deity as 'Creator' for the moment: It's true that I don't fully understand why an atheist cannot at least believe in the Intelligent Design concept....that is seems very unlikely (TO ME), that all of us humans, and the earth in general.....just simply came from nothing. I will admit that I don't understand atheism....equally as much as why I don't understand how people worship Buddha (as an example). I will never be bold enough to say that I 'reject' your belief.....I just merely don't get it.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 17:39
    Originally posted by sonship
    [quote] Is the God that you believe in, THE correct God?? I have been reading a vast amount of posts on this site, and most of them are written with an attitude of certainty that THEY are completely correct about God/Jesus, and that everyone else is wrong....or deceived by Satan. I would challenge all who are reading this to read a post by 'sonhouse' in the ...[text shortened]... wer of Jesus.

One fellow put it -
    "Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary use words."
    I have shared a thought with a friend, and I will share it with you: If I am reading a novel, and I get to page 8 and don't understand what is written on page 8.....I stop reading further!!! I stay on page 8 and make the effort to understand it, because it is likely that further along in this novel......it will matter that I understand the words on page 8. My point: I am spiritually 'stuck' on page 8. You are correct, I have not seemingly committed to anything yet, because the entire person of Jesus Christ has me admittedly confused. Some of what you believe makes sense, but....some of what robbie writes makes sense too. Yet......both of you cannot be correct at the same time regarding Christianity and Jehovah Witness. I am confessing my confusion, yet, trying to seek knowledge and information.......even on a chess site. And, I don't necessarily like to debate religion, and was going to stop visiting this site, but have decided to jump in and see what happens.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 17:45
    [b]I said that I believe in a Creator, and that I call him God. I am most certainly not declaring that I am correct, /b]
    By saying that you believe something, you are declaring that you are correct. That is what the word 'believe' means. All you are really saying is that you wont force your beliefs on others, nor do you have sufficient reasons for your beliefs that you are willing to try and convince others of their validity.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 18:08
    I am spiritually 'stuck' on page 8.
    Perhaps you are simply reading the wrong book. ;o)

As an objective atheist (smile) i see all you religious chaps grappling with the 'same' proverbial elephant in a dark room. (The Muslim has the trunk and the Christian one of his ears). End of the day it's the same animal, you're just experiencing different parts of it. You're all just looking for answers as to why you are here and where you are going. Something to make the world a little less scary.

All the rest is background noise.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 18:13
    Originally posted by sonship
    [b]When the Moslem says that there is one God, how can I not say he is not correct?
    You could confuse him by introducing the idea of a triune god?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 18:14
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Perhaps you are simply reading the wrong book. ;o)

As an objective atheist (smile) i see all you religious chaps grappling with the 'same' proverbial elephant in a dark room. (The Muslim has the trunk and the Christian one of his ears). End of the day it's the same animal, you're just experiencing different parts of it. You're all just looking for ...[text shortened]... are going. Something to make the world a little less scary.

All the rest is background noise.
    Using your 'elephant' theory, it would seem that the Christian is certain that HE has the trunk, and it is the Muslim who has the ear.

You guys still have a good buffet? 🙂
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 18:15
    You could confuse him by introducing the idea of a triune god?
    Lmao......very good.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Jun '15 18:25
    Using your 'elephant' theory, it would seem that the Christian is certain that HE has the trunk, and it is the Muslim who has the ear.

You guys still have a good buffet? 🙂
    Come to the dark side. We have saved you some crab sticks.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree