1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 03:37
    Originally posted by dizzyfingers
    From reading your post here, I see a lot of criticism of religious people doing things that are not very "god-like." To make such observations, you must have some idea of things that would be "god-like." How can that be if there is no God? I think that perhaps without realizing it, you've admitted that there is a God, but that you're having a real hard ...[text shortened]... he wrongs you've done to others, too. That would be very "god-like" on your part. 🙂
    When I say 'god-like' I am referring to what most religious people think about when they say 'god'. It is not my idea of a god.
    My idea of a real god would be for it to just come out and say what a religion should consist of, that is to say, since a god would by definition be able to speak directly all 6 billion of us at once and all the trillions dead and trillions yet to be born, a god should have no trouble doing that. Just saying something like have one god if you want but have one religion also, one that does not kill in the name of a god. I realize that brings up the issue of freedom of choice and all that but the very fact there are diabolically and diametrically opposed religion proves to me there is in fact no such god. The simple truth is we have made up the whole story of god out of nothing but thin air, in all its forms for tens of thousands of years. There is an anthropological study (in the anthro thread here) claiming the onset of our very imagination tens of thousands of years ago is what separates us from animals and that early imagination is what started the quest for god in many forms, animal totems, sky totems, sun worship, etc. and down the centuries to Judisam, Islam, Christianity, Jaynes, Buddhists, and all the rest, starting out of nothing but our imaginations which is what I had been saying all along. The really sad part is people acting as if an imaginary friend helps them out but all it does in fact is to hold them back from true maturity as a species, much as you would vociferously disagree I am sure. That just makes you part of the problem not the solution. The solution is to realize that just like every other animal on the planet we are alone, isolated on a jewel of a planet and we are even screwing that up and there will be no big buddy in the sky to take away all the CO2 and pollution and atomic bombs stolen away after the end of the soviet empire and all that. If people realized we are on our own here, they MIGHT, just might, look at things in a clearer light.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 06:30
    Originally posted by dinosaurus
    For myself, I don't consider the Moslim community to be a religion, but a cult. It is not derived from the one true God.
    You have probably been mislead by your pastor as to the meaning of the word 'cult' in the English language.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 06:31
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You haven't checked whats going on in africa right now have you?
    Muslims are waging a war against native populations that don't want to have anything to do with islam and they are forcing them to convert or be killed, mostly being killed. You don't believe me? Look it up.
    I don't believe you. Where do I look it up?
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 10:04
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I don't believe you. Where do I look it up?
    The shameful story of Darfur, you should read the news now and again:
    http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Read.aspx?GUID=6560F4B3-DCE5-4609-8845-4CD1BF0FE115
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 10:20
    http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Read.aspx?GUID=6560F4B3-DCE5-4609-8845-4CD1BF0FE115
    The Darfur conflict is a conflict between two Muslim groups. Your post falsely claimed:
    "Muslims are waging a war against native populations that don't want to have anything to do with islam and they are forcing them to convert or be killed, mostly being killed."
    Neither party is trying to force their religion on the other. They are fighting over water. You also imply that the oppressed are 'native' and the oppressors are not.

You should pay more attention to the news or not watch it at all. Getting it wrong is worse than not knowing about it.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 10:25
    Well, with non-partisan reading material like that, it's no wonder you've a mainline to the truth!

Depending on how you cherry-pick your facts, you can prove that the Darfur conflict was caused by global warming. But really "While rooted in structural inequality between the center of the country around the Nile and the 'peripheral' areas such as Darfur, tensions were exacerbated in the last two decades of the twentieth century by a combination of environmental calamity, non-sustainable fast population growth, desertification, political opportunism and regional politics".

Even wikipedia beats your source for credibility. Stay away from publications with a Jihad Watch banner ... unless you're happy to be a dupe.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 May '08 13:35
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Well, with non-partisan reading material like that, it's no wonder you've a mainline to the truth!

Depending on how you cherry-pick your facts, you can prove that the Darfur conflict was caused by global warming. But really "While rooted in structural inequality between the center of the country around the Nile and the 'peripheral' areas such as Da ...[text shortened]... ay away from publications with a Jihad Watch banner ... unless you're happy to be a dupe.
    It's all well and good to label a site as a witch hunt but I don't think you have looked very close either. Whether you want to believe it or not, kids in some muslim countries are taught hatred as a regular part of their classroom assignments, demonizing the US and Israel.
    You may think Islam is a religion of peace but it is not now and never was. Islam came out of the opening bell fighting and warring and thats how they got started and its going on still today. The only thing that keeps muslims in check in, say, Canada, is the fact they are a way down the list minority. If they became a large majority in Canada, the whole idea of democracy would be out the window and it would be another Iran, or Pakistan or Indonesia. The aim of Islam is to make itself church AND state, as Iran, and Taliban and the like prove every day.
  8. Joined
    09 Mar '06
    Moves
    09 May '08 15:03
    Ah.... I remember the days when I used to get this heated up about religion. Truth is all that the dark moments in history, be it supression, degradation, killing etc would have happened whether religion existed or not.
    Eddie Izzard said: guns don't kill people, people kill people. But the guns sure do help..... However in the end it's still people that cause the damage. Same applies to religion too, it might provided a vehicle for this type of abhorant human behaviour, but if it wasn't religion it would have been something else.
    You'd be far better off getting angry at something that really matters, like how the rich get richer at the expense of the poor, or how collectively as a race we're destroying the planet for future generations. This is just the start, i could go on but I have exams to revise for.
  9. Joined
    08 Dec '07
    Moves
    14 May '08 19:02
    For instance, in the bible it says 'god made man in his own image'. Well isn't that cute. I rather think it the other way round. Men invented gods to control people and build a power base and to be able to subjugate women and thats about it. Considering all the diabolically opposed religions on earth that sanction killing, do you seriously think that kind o ...[text shortened]... w THATS a godly thing to do, eh. What exactly is it about your god that makes it so insane?
    Women wear the burka to stop tempting men under their own belief, and go walk around a large city. Try to see a woman in a burka. Not many nowadays, are there? From your classing of religion as general subjugation of women, I would guess you are a female police officer who got shot during a raid on a church.
  10. Joined
    08 Dec '07
    Moves
    14 May '08 19:06
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You "piss on my insane god", and you wonder why people don't feel
    the love among those deny God. Your just a hate monger pure and
    simple, and care nothing for the feelings of others.
    Kelly
    HA!!! Thanks, I really laughed out loud at your ignorance. Hatemongering? sonhouse is simply arguing his/her case for what he believes in, and sorry; "feel the love among those deny God"- what does that mean?! I think you are a brainwasher from the Camden thought police, looking through some of your posts! 😉
    Seriously, be more tolerant of other people's views. Just because s/he doesn't agree with your narrow view of God and religion does not mean he is a "hatemonger". How old are you?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree