1. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 09:56
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So the bible is known to have no connection to a god?
    Where did I say that? Your argument is equivalent to claiming that if a biography is not an autobiography then it must be all made up lies.
    I am an atheist and don't believe in God, but I also don't believe that the Bible was entirely made up with the express purpose of controlling man and subjugating women as you claim. And using various strawman arguments to support your case is not helping you any more than the ID movement in the US is helping Christians.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 09:58
    You swollow the con act hook line and sinker.
    How do you know he is not one of the conners?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 10:44
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    How do you know he is not one of the conners?
    All religious people are part of the con, the biggest con game in human history. It is unutterably arrogant to think a god needs an intermediary, like the pope, who is er, infallable, presumably because he is intimately connected to god. This supposed god does nothing for the human race, does not even venture an opinion when humans use the con game of religion to promote 'religious' wars. When I was a child of 8, my mother had me in a Lutheran school, had to read the catachism daily. However, my grandmother was a bible thumping Pentacostal and when she found out I was baptized in the Lutheran/Catholic way with sprinkled water on forehead, etc., she said if I didn't get baptized in the PROTESTANT way, whole body dunking, I would be forever damned to hell. Interesting concept, an 8 year old damned from birth. From that moment on, I knew something was fundamentally wrong with religion, and I thank her every day. The concept of 'original sin', you are born into sin, causes me to grit my teeth and clench my fists, another con game to control the population, pure and simple, frighten the sheep, they can be better controlled.
  4. Joined
    31 Dec '07
    Moves
    23 Apr '08 20:43
    All religious people are part of the con, the biggest con game in human history. It is unutterably arrogant to think a god needs an intermediary, like the pope, who is er, infallable, presumably because he is intimately connected to god. This supposed god does nothing for the human race, does not even venture an opinion when humans use the con game of relig ...[text shortened]... control the population, pure and simple, frighten the sheep, they can be better controlled.
    If you frighten sheep they are more likely to scatter in all directions. Sheep are more easily controlled with quiet movements which allow even the silliest sheep to understand the best direction to go, and they all go there together in one mob.
    I am a card carrying atheist also, but all I see in your posts is uncontrolled vitriol, and I doubt that you will convince anyone with such extreme views expressed without any concrete evidence.
    I understand your bitterness, but now that you are no longer a child, I think you need to get over it.
  5. weedhopper
    Moves
    24 Apr '08 00:26
    All religious people are part of the con, the biggest con game in human history. It is unutterably arrogant to think a god needs an intermediary, like the pope, who is er, infallable, presumably because he is intimately connected to god. This supposed god does nothing for the human race, does not even venture an opinion when humans use the con game of relig ...[text shortened]... control the population, pure and simple, frighten the sheep, they can be better controlled.
    How did I go from being a conner to a papist? God needs no intermediary at all! If you're gonna disparage someone, at least TRY to get your facts right.
  6. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    24 Apr '08 00:53
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    Why is God the one who's evil for not intervening. Have you?
    its so predictable that somebody would turn that question around and direct it towards me. I am not the creator so i am not responsible, also I do help out when i can but on a very small scale because that is all i CAN do. GOD can save the whole world from poverty if he really cares, he has the power to do anything. i believe he doesnt even exist, but if he does, hes evil for not caring.
  7. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    24 Apr '08 01:59
    I didn't realize that folk music fans could be atheists. Maybe Woody was, who knows?
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Apr '08 06:41
    All religious people are part of the con, the biggest con game in human history.
    When I was a child of 8, my mother had me in a Lutheran school,
    The concept of 'original sin', you are born into sin, causes me to grit my teeth and clench my fists, another con game to control the population, pure and simple, frighten the sheep, they can be better controlled.
    Help me out here, I am getting confused.

You were a religious person till age 8 right?
    Were you part of the con?

And who are those sheep that get frightened? Are they also in on the con? Who is trying to control who? I don't get it.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Apr '08 13:12
    Help me out here, I am getting confused.

You were a religious person till age 8 right?
    Were you part of the con?

And who are those sheep that get frightened? Are they also in on the con? Who is trying to control who? I don't get it.
    At the age of 8, just exactly who can possibly be religious, since an 8 yo hasn't even come close to finishing the development of the brain.
    I was suspicious about the whole thing even before that, could never wrap my head around these two religions, both supposedly christian, both hating the other and one god was supposed to be responsible for these two? Later I found out it was even worse than the hypocricy I saw there, with truly warlike religions and one god is supposed to be responsible for all that. That is the biggest con of all time. Another thing that really gets my goat about these so-called religions, is the distain for anything human, like dance, or music or song. If it doesn't directly worship this god of yours, it is the devils work or some such rot. It happens in christianity and islam and many others. That dulls the mind and puts blinders on artists when they can't go in the direction of art they choose. You see that clearly in the middle ages in christianity and right now in islam. Look at the art works destroyed by the taliban because THEIR stupid religion has a hardon against any attempt to sculp or draw depictions of 'god'. Look at the reaction to the stupid cartoons in the Netherlands, a cartoon picture labled Allah or some such. People died as a result. Yeah. Thats REAL godlike.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Apr '08 13:54
    You still haven't told me who is getting conned. After all, everyone is part of the con except us atheists and we aren't fooled by it for a moment.
  11. weedhopper
    Moves
    24 Apr '08 22:271 edit
    You still haven't told me who is getting conned. After all, everyone is part of the con except us atheists and we aren't fooled by it for a moment.
    You (sonhouse) also haven't explained how you get to claim that I believe God needs an intermediary when I most definitely do not. Where do you dream up such nonsensical tripe?
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Apr '08 22:40
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    You (sonhouse) also haven't explained how you get to claim that I believe God needs an intermediary when I most definitely do not. Where do you dream up such nonsensical tripe?
    Do you go to church? If so, why do you have to commune with 'god' there and not while changing the babies diapers or mowing the lawn?
    Are you a member of a congregation? If so, why do feel the need to do that? Comraderie with like minds? 'God' does not enter into it?
  13. Joined
    31 Dec '07
    Moves
    24 Apr '08 23:08
    Do you go to church? If so, why do you have to commune with 'god' there and not while changing the babies diapers or mowing the lawn?
    Are you a member of a congregation? If so, why do feel the need to do that? Comraderie with like minds? 'God' does not enter into it?
    That would understandably be an example of fellowship, being all together of one accord, and not forsaking the assembling of themselves together, and as far as christians are concerned, God is more than just part of it, He is the main reason for it. I,m sure that genuine followers also commune with their God while doing all of life's activities, and most of them will be laughing at your naive comments.
    You almost make me wish that God does exist, so that I could post in His defence, not that He would need any. I can just visualise Him saying to you, "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the Earth?"
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Apr '08 23:461 edit
    All religious people are part of the con, the biggest con game in human history. It is unutterably arrogant to think a god needs an intermediary, like the pope, who is er, infallable, presumably because he is intimately connected to god. This supposed god does nothing for the human race, does not even venture an opinion when humans use the con game of relig control the population, pure and simple, frighten the sheep, they can be better controlled.
    It is unutterably arrogant to think a god needs an intermediary, like the pope, who is er, infallable, presumably because he is intimately connected to god.

Obviously this belief belongs exclusively to Catholics, and not other religious people. It is unscrupulous to exploit this one article of faith to support your generalisations.

It is also almost unheard-of to hear Catholic theologians describe the Pope as infallible. If you examine the articles of the Catholic Catechism, you will not find any instance of the pope described as infallible. Instead, the pope is said to "enjoy the charism of infallibility"; infallibility is also not a possession of the Pope, but of his office. So it is more accurate to call the papacy infallible.

And in Catholic history, it has primarily been the college of bishops which has exercised the power of infallibility; the Pope has only proclaimed infallibly on two occassions. Furthermore, the Church has recognised since Vatican II that the people of the Church themselves are guided by "the sense of the faith" and will always possess a degree of infallibility in their adherence to God. So your characterisation of Catholic pontiff as "the intermediary" is erroneous.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Apr '08 03:13
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    [b]It is unutterably arrogant to think a god needs an intermediary, like the pope, who is er, infallable, presumably because he is intimately connected to god.

Obviously this belief belongs exclusively to Catholics, and not other religious people. It is unscrupulous to exploit this one article of faith to support your generalisations.

It is also ...[text shortened]... e to God. So your characterisation of Catholic pontiff as "the intermediary" is erroneous.[/b]
    So the preacher up on the pulpit spouting dogma or the imam (sp?) giving religious prognotsications is not an intermediary, someone who needs to be there to administer to the sheep who can't decide what to do? Sounds like an intermediary to me. When I say that I am referring to what was around before organized religion, you found your personal totem, like a jaguar or a beaver or whatever and you relate to the world without the need to be told what to do, you had a personal sense of responsibility, not like now, where you do good works because you are promised a seat in some heaven or other. Why can't people just do good works without reference to some god as if there is a payback? We are so propagandized about it by the brainwashers of religion, we have to refer to a bible or quran or ipanashads or whatever so we hopelessly evil and stupid humans can bear the existence of living in the surety that we will have a better deal after we are dead. Convenient, that one. You will lose your soul and live in constant agony of fire FOREVER if you don't get baptized and believe. Did you ever stop to really think about what is going on there? Wake up and smell the coffee.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree