1. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 05:14
    They say it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.

Does anyone agree with that? If so, let's presume the biblical God and heaven exist. Would you agree with this statement: It's better to have lived and not made it to heaven, than to have never lived at all.

Just curious is all. This isn't a trap question.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 05:201 edit
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey

Does anyone agree with that? If so, let's presume the biblical God and heaven exist. Would you agree with this statement: It's better to have lived and not made it to heaven, than to have never lived at all.

I don't see how your initial sentence is the same as your 'statement' sentence at all.

For one thing, it [your 'statement' sentence] unnecessarily raises the stakes so that your first sentence seems moot in comparison.

I agree with your first statement; I don't agree with your second.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 05:23
    It's better to have lived and not made it to heaven, than to have never lived at all.
    As I said on a thread related to this recently, life is an almost incomprehensibly wonderful thing and one wonders why it is nevertheless not enough for some people. But hope for 'immortality' is such a common state of mind, it clearly seems to be part and parcel of the human condition.
  4. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 05:23
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    I don't see how your initial sentence is the same as your 'statement' sentence at all.

For one thing, it [your 'statement' sentence] unnecessarily raises the stakes so that your first sentence seems moot in comparison.

I agree with your first statement; I don't agree with your second.
    I consider them similar but you are totally right. The stakes are way higher. I'm not inclined to agree with either statement which is why I was curious what others' thoughts are on the 2nd one, if they agree with the 1st one.

I wonder if most agree with you on it, I predict yes.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 07:031 edit

Could I ask your view on this first please...

It is better to have lived and not made it to heaven, than not have lived at all?
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 11:00

You are throwing too many wrenches at once. But loving is part of life, and sometimes, too often maybe, it doesn't work out. In a way it isn't the destination that is important.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 11:10
    Is it better to be alone when married or alone when single?
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 12:541 edit
    I consider them similar but you are totally right. The stakes are way higher. I'm not inclined to agree with either statement which is why I was curious what others' thoughts are on the 2nd one, if they agree with the 1st one.

I wonder if most agree with you on it, I predict yes.
    How can you not agree with the first statement?

Just wondering the state of mind necessary to not agree with it.

I mean how can it actually be better to have never loved at all?
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 13:01

You saying it is not a trap question does not make it so. In the first sentence you use a well known phrase about 'love'. In your question you talk about 'live'.
  10. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 13:16
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    How can you not agree with the first statement?

Just wondering the state of mind necessary to not agree with it.

I mean how can it actually be better to have never loved at all?
    To love and lose would be to suffer a heart break. The pain of a heart break exceeds the joy of having loved the person, in my opinion.
  11. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 13:18
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    You saying it is not a trap question does not make it so. In the first sentence you use a well known phrase about 'love'. In your question you talk about 'live'.
    I'm juxtaposing the 2 ideas. If I say it's not a trap question, it's not a trap question. I'm not a liar. I don't pose questions just to get information on others that I can use later. That's what some others do. Not me.
  12. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 13:18
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Is it better to be alone when married or alone when single?
    Hmmm... good question. I'll opt for the latter.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 21:04
    Aww come on Tom, just answer the question and stop being a pussy.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 21:59
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Aww come on Tom, just answer the question and stop being a pussy.
    Nice. I mean that both as a positive and a negative at the same time!
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 23:29
    To love and lose would be to suffer a heart break. The pain of a heart break exceeds the joy of having loved the person, in my opinion.
    However, to love, and yes, to possibly lose, is part and parcel of the human condition, and part of what it is to truly live.

Surely God never intended for us to just float through life never experiencing pain. It's what we do with that pain that shapes us, for good or bad.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree