1. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 02:231 edit
    These are some emails my Mom and I exchanged. She posed a good question, and I would be interested in hearing other peoples input on this. Easter is coming soon. Thanks in advance.

I have wanted to ask you for sometime now and I always forget.
    Why did Jesus descend into hell for 3 days and what did He do there???????
    Love you Mom

I am not sure if this is a joke or not. He went to hell for us sinners, so we don't have to. I would like to think Jesus was kicking Satan's ass playing chess. lol
    Happy Valentine's Day Mom
    I love you Marc

No it wasn't a joke. I always thought that I had heard He went to hell because before His death there was no forgiveness of sins and after His death and resurrection there was and He went to hell to reclaim those people who may have followed Him Love mom
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 02:35
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    These are some emails my Mom and I exchanged. She posed a good question, and I would be interested in hearing other peoples input on this. Easter is coming soon. Thanks in advance.

Love you Mom

I am not sure if ...[text shortened]... on there was and He went to hell to reclaim those people who may have followed Him Love mom
    At that time there were two compartments in hell. Abraham's bosom (paradize) and the place where the lost go to await judgment.
    Jesus' desent into hell was for the purpose of taking the faithful to heaven. That's the easy answer.
  3. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 02:39
    Originally posted by josephw
    At that time there were two compartments in hell. Abraham's bosom (paradize) and the place where the lost go to await judgment.
    Jesus' desent into hell was for the purpose of taking the faithful to heaven. That's the easy answer.
    Exsqueeze me? Baking powder? Are you from Syria???

I have never heard of there being two compartments in Hell. Is one of them the non-smoking section?
  4. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 02:39

Love you Mom

I am not sure if ...[text shortened]... on there was and He went to hell to reclaim those people who may have followed Him Love mom
    From what I've heard, your mom is right.
  5. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 03:03
    Originally posted by reader1107
    From what I've heard, your mom is right.
    I remember hearing that he had to conquer hell in order to save us. But I can't back that up.
  6. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 03:19
    I remember hearing that he had to conquer hell in order to save us. But I can't back that up.
    How can any manifestation of God not have complete control of everything at all times, if he's omnipotent?

What took an omnipotent being 3 days to do it anyway?
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 03:31
    Originally posted by Crita

I have never heard of there being two compartments in Hell. Is one of them the non-smoking section?
    That would be funny if it weren't so ignorant.
    Ever hear of Lazarus and the rich man?
  8. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 03:36
    That would be funny if it weren't so ignorant.
    Ever hear of Lazarus and the rich man?
    No I haven't heard that one.

My brother tried to tell it once, but I think he got the punchline wrong.

Why don't you tell me?
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 03:50
    No I haven't heard that one.

My brother tried to tell it once, but I think he got the punchline wrong.

Why don't you tell me?
    Read luke 16:20-31
    Notice verse 31
  10. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 03:51

People smoke everywhere in Hell. 😕
  11. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 03:53
    Originally posted by scottishinnz

What took an omnipotent being 3 days to do it anyway?
    This is where my Christ vs. Satan chess match comes in. 😕
  12. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 03:563 edits
    Read luke 16:20-31
    Notice verse 31
    OK, I've read that. So, where in that passage does is mention two sections in Hell?

From my understanding of that, Abraham is in Heaven, and the rich man is in Hell.

Is that wrong?

And I missed the significance of verse 31 in regards to Hell Div 1 Hell Div 2.
  13. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 03:56

Love you Mom

yes, he suffered severe 3rd degree burns
  14. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 04:14
    i dont believe God descended into hell, isnt that something made up by Christians and never actually mentioned in the bible? i think that since God knows everything before it happens, he knew Jesus would sacrifice himself for our sins so they were forgiven long before it really happened.
  15. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Feb '07 04:17
    Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
    i dont believe God descended into hell, isnt that something made up by Christians and never actually mentioned in the bible? i think that since God knows everything before it happens, he knew Jesus would sacrifice himself for our sins so they were forgiven long before it really happened.
    No comment on the made up bit, but the second bit, the time thing:

Some people assume that God operates in time like we do. But it's not like that. He can see our entire life like a map, as if it has already happened, but still is happening and is yet to happen (if you know what I mean).

And our sins are only forgiven when we ask God for forgiveness.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree