1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 01:34
    I've brought this up once or twice before but didn't really get a rsponse.
    As far as I understand nothing is known about Jesus' life up until the age of 30.
    If anyone does know , or thinks they know, could you please share it with me?
    Also I would love to hear any speculations about whhat they think Jesus was doing for the first 30 years of his life.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 01:361 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    As far as I understand nothing is known about Jesus' life up until the age of 30.
    Also I would love to hear any speculations about whhat they think Jesus was doing for the first 30 years of his life.
    I hear he killed some sparrows, but brought them back to life.

Edit: No, that wasn't it. He made some birds out of clay and brought them to life.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 01:42
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I hear he killed some sparrows, but brought them back to life.

Edit: No, that wasn't it. He made some birds out of clay and brought them to life.
    πŸ™‚I wasn't expecting that sort of answer. (perhaps you are implying its not important. I would agree that its not that omportant but given all the christian posters out there I thought it might be fun to speculate.)

I heard he went to India to learn spirituality from Indian teachers,but I'm certainly not giving that claim much credence at this point.
  4. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 01:49
    πŸ™‚I wasn't expecting that sort of answer. (perhaps you are implying its not important. I would agree that its not that omportant but given all the christian posters out there I thought it might be fun to speculate.)

I heard he went to India to learn spirituality from Indian teachers,but I'm certainly not giving that claim much credence at this point.
    The bit about the birds is from the non-canonical Infancy Gospel of Thomas, one of the many works that were floating around in the early Christian days. The early Christians were aware of the lack of information of Jesus' childhood and so they made up several infancy gospels to go along with the rest of their made up canon of scripture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infancy_Gospel_of_Thomas
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 02:21

Well since there is no real proof that he did anything more then a normal young person of his time period would have done except play as a younger child and then learn a trade such as a carpenter from his father and no doubt was taught very well in spiritual matters. Probably most young people of the time had a non eventful life.
    But I would say for sure he would not have gone to another country to study a pagan religion...
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 02:24
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Well since there is no real proof that he did anything more then a normal young person of his time period would have done except play as a younger child and then learn a trade such as a carpenter from his father and no doubt was taught very well in spiritual matters. Probably most young people of the time had a non eventful life.
    But I would say for sure he would not have gone to another country to study a pagan religion...

What do you base this on?
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 02:30
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The bit about the birds is from the non-canonical Infancy Gospel of Thomas, one of the many works that were floating around in the early Christian days. The early Christians were aware of the lack of information of Jesus' childhood and so they made up several infancy gospels to go along with the rest of their made up canon of scripture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infancy_Gospel_of_Thomas
    The Infancy Gospel of Thomas 2:1-5

When this child Jesus was five years old, he was playing by the ford of a stream; and he gathered the flowing waters into pools and made them immediately pure. These things he ordered simply by speaking a word.

He then made some soft mud and fashioned twelve sparrows from it. It was the Sabbath when he did this. A number of other children were also playing with him.

But when a certain Jew saw what Jesus had done while playing on the Sabbath, he left right away and reported to his father, Joseph, "Look, your child at the stream has taken mud and formed twelve sparrows. He has profaned the Sabbath!"

When Joseph came to the place and saw what had happened, he cried out to him, "Why are you doing what is forbidden on the Sabbath?" But Jesus clapped his hands and cried to the sparrows, "Be gone!" And the sparrows took flight and went off, chirping.

When the Jews saw this they were amazed; and they went away and reported to their leaders what they had seen Jesus do.

(translation by Bart Ehrman)
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 02:46
    Thats your best guess of what the Son of God (or Michael the Archangel ,,whichever) did for 30 years?
  9. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 02:551 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Thats your best guess of what the Son of God (or Michael the Archangel ,,whichever) did for 30 years?
    He also withered the other children...

The Infancy Gospel of Thomas 3:1-3

Now the son of Annas the scribe was standing there with Joseph; and he took a willow branch and scattered the water that Jesus had gathered.

Jesus was irritated when he saw what had happened, and he said to him: "You unrighteous, irreverent idiot! What did the pools of water do to harm you? See, now you also will be withered like a tree, and you will never bear leaves or root or fruit."

Immediately that child was completely withered. Jesus left and returned to Joseph's house. But the parents of the withered child carried him away, mourning his lost youth. They brought him to Joseph and began to accuse him, "What kind of child do you have who does such things?"

What a little scamp that Jesus was.
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 03:27
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]But I would say for sure he would not have gone to another country to study a pagan religion...

What do you base this on?[/b]
    Why would he be interested in some pagan religion that would go against Christian beliefs? And I seriously doubt his parents would let him.
    Besides there is no proof to say he did.
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 04:27
    Why would he be interested in some pagan religion that would go against Christian beliefs? And I seriously doubt his parents would let him.
    now hang on. Just go back a second... i didn't think there were any 'christian beliefs 'at that point . As christ had not died on the cross yet , and therefore started the whole christian tradition.

Why would he not seek some other'pagan religon' for help .After all dont all religons have the same basic message at their core?
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 04:39
    Without certain facts we know nothing. We can only speculate. So can I.

I don't say Buddhism is an pagan religion in a pejorative way. Theism has always been violent until then. Buddha teaches anti-violence. It is very easy to accept that the 'love eachother' part of Jesus is inspired from the east.

When Jesus grew up to be a man, I don't think it's impossible for him to take off to a trip eastward. It took time, yes, but then there is a big hole in the history of Jesus. What did Jesus do from the age of 18 to 30 years? He had the time, he got the inspiration from somewhere, and he preached very new thoughts, not expressed before. What happened? I would like to know.

I asked God once what happened to Jesus and asked Him to answer if Jesus just stayed on with his father and mother. He didn't have to answer if Jesus turned east. And guess what? Glory Halelujah, He didn't answer and thus confirmed that Jesus really went east!
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 08:20
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Without certain facts we know nothing. We can only speculate. So can I.

I don't say Buddhism is an pagan religion in a pejorative way. Theism has always been violent until then. Buddha teaches anti-violence. It is very easy to accept that the 'love eachother' part of Jesus is inspired from the east.

When Jesus grew up to be a man, I don't think it's ...[text shortened]... s what? Glory Halelujah, He didn't answer and thus confirmed that Jesus really went east!
    Hee,heeπŸ™‚
    thats classic!
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 08:381 edit
    there is only one Biblical reference, in which Christ as a young person, departs from his parents whom had been visiting Jerusalem, and his parents after looking, find him questioning some older men in the temple. here is the passage.

(Luke 2:41-50) . . .Now his parents were accustomed to go from year to year to Jerusalem for the festival of the passover. And when he became twelve years old, they went up according to the custom of the festival and completed the days. But when they were returning, the boy Jesus remained behind in Jerusalem, and his parents did not notice it. Assuming that he was in the company traveling together, they covered a day’s distance and then began to hunt him up among the relatives and acquaintances. But, not finding him, they returned to Jerusalem, making a diligent search for him. Well, after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers and listening to them and questioning them. But all those listening to him were in constant amazement at his understanding and his answers. Now when they saw him they were astounded, and his mother said to him: “Child, why did you treat us this way? Here your father and I in mental distress have been looking for you.” But he said to them: “Why did you have to go looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in the house of my Father?” However, they did not grasp the saying that he spoke to them.

here is also some information with regard to his domestic life and trade, prior to his baptism.

During his years in Nazareth, Jesus learned the carpentry trade, likely from his adoptive father, Joseph. Jesus so mastered the craft that he himself was called “the carpenter.” (Mark 6:3) In Bible times, carpenters were employed in building houses, constructing furniture (including tables, stools, and benches), and making farming implements.

In his Dialogue With Trypho, Justin Martyr, of the second century C.E., wrote of Jesus: “He was in the habit of working as a carpenter when among men, making ploughs and yokes.” Such work was not easy, for the ancient carpenter probably could not buy his wood. More likely, he went out and selected a tree, swung his ax, and carried the wood home. So Jesus may have known the challenges of earning a living, dealing with customers, and making ends meet.

As the oldest son, Jesus probably helped to care for the family, particularly since it appears that Joseph died before Jesus. Tradition declares that Joseph died while Jesus was yet young, and that the latter took up the carpenters trade and became the support of the family. This finds some support in the Scriptural testimony where Jesus himself is called a carpenter, and his mother and brethren are mentioned, but Joseph is ignored. (Mark 6:3) . . . It is quite probable, then, that the long period of eighteen years of Christs life, from the time of the incident recorded at Luke 2:41-49 to the time of his baptism, was spent in the performance of the ordinary duties of life. Mary and her children, including Jesus, likely knew the pain that results when a beloved husband and father dies. Clearly, Jesus was not born into a cushioned life. Rather, he experienced firsthand the life of ordinary people.

hopefully this helps πŸ™‚
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 10:05

Wikipedia has a couple articles on the possible links between Buddhism and Christianity. Quite a lot, actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_Christianity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_Gnosticism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_years_of_Jesus

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree