1. PenTesting
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 11:022 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    there is only one Biblical reference, in which Christ as a young person, departs from his parents whom had been visiting Jerusalem, and his parents after looking, find him questioning some older men in the temple. here is the passage.

(Luke 2:41-50) . . .Now his parents were accustomed to go from year to year to Jerusalem for the festival of the ...[text shortened]... d life. Rather, he experienced firsthand the life of ordinary people.

hopefully this helps 🙂
    At age 12 Christ knew that he had a divine purpose which was preaching and teaching, as you also quoted:

Luke 2:49 And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?

So from then on, up to age 30, he went to being a carpenter ? Are you are right in your head?

Lets say it over.
    Age 12 - started preaching in the synagogue
    12 - 30 - carpenter and ordniary duties of life

😀
  2. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 11:10
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    now hang on. Just go back a second... i didn't think there were any 'christian beliefs 'at that point . As christ had not died on the cross yet , and therefore started the whole christian tradition.

Why would he not seek some other'pagan religon' for help .After all dont all religons have the same basic message at their core?
    No Xtian beliefs, but Jewish beliefs. Most Jews in and around Judea in the Second Temple period preferred to keep strong boundaries between themselves and Gentiles. (There were clear exceptions, though, so this by no means is to say that Jesus of Nazareth certainly did not leave his home.)

However, the likelihood of a carpenter's son travelling to other countries is surely not high.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 11:30
    I've brought this up once or twice before but didn't really get a rsponse.
    As far as I understand nothing is known about Jesus' life up until the age of 30.
    If anyone does know , or thinks they know, could you please share it with me?
    Also I would love to hear any speculations about whhat they think Jesus was doing for the first 30 years of his life.
    He was being prepared for his ministry.

It is often fascinating to me that God waited 30 years before he began decided to let Christ begin his ministry. It just goes to show how we need to wait upon God's timing even if we feel we have a calling in our own lives.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 11:351 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    He was being prepared for his ministry.
    By whom?
    What is your source to this knowledge?
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 11:36
    Originally posted by HumeA
    .. the likelihood of a carpenter's son travelling to other countries is surely not high.
    Whats the likelihood of a carpenters son at 12 preaching in the synagogue with such wisdom that he amazed the religious leaders?

Whats the likelihood of the Son of God at 12 understanding his purpose and the reason why God sent him, and therafter for 18 yrs went back to carpentry?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 11:36
    I've brought this up once or twice before but didn't really get a rsponse.
    As far as I understand nothing is known about Jesus' life up until the age of 30.
    If anyone does know , or thinks they know, could you please share it with me?
    Also I would love to hear any speculations about whhat they think Jesus was doing for the first 30 years of his life.
    What are you talking about? The gospel writers give a very clear, but contradictory, account of his infancy and childhood. Jesus is born in a manger, is met by shephards and wise men. Later he is blessed at the Temple and is greeted by Anna and Simeon who call him the Messiah. Later at the age of twelve he returns to Jerusalem, he scarpers from his family to talk with the rabbis. Then there is a silent period and turns up in the wilderness.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 11:49
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    What are you talking about? The gospel writers give a very clear, but contradictory, account of his infancy and childhood. Jesus is born in a manger, is met by shephards and wise men. Later he is blessed at the Temple and is greeted by Anna and Simeon who call him the Messiah. Later at the age of twelve he returns to Jerusalem, he scarpers from his family to talk with the rabbis. Then there is a silent period and turns up in the wilderness.
    Well there you have it. In your own post . What was this 'silent' period?
    Surely you would have to agree there is not much info on
    Jesus up until 30. Then there is a huge amount .
    I was just thinking how this compares with say Guatama Bhudda, who has stories from all through his life.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 11:50
    Originally posted by HumeA
    No Xtian beliefs, but Jewish beliefs. Most Jews in and around Judea in the Second Temple period preferred to keep strong boundaries between themselves and Gentiles. (There were clear exceptions, though, so this by no means is to say that Jesus of Nazareth certainly did not leave his home.)

However, the likelihood of a carpenter's son travelling to other countries is surely not high.
    ..And the likelihood of a carpenters son becoming the Messiah is even less..
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 12:13
    Well there you have it. In your own post . What was this 'silent' period?
    Surely you would have to agree there is not much info on
    Jesus up until 30. Then there is a huge amount .
    I was just thinking how this compares with say Guatama Bhudda, who has stories from all through his life.
    Here is what John says :

John 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

Interesting. If people were to write about all the things Christ did the world might not be able to contain all the books. That means Christ must have done a hell of a lot of things. I would think lots of travelling and preaching and miracles up until age 30 at which point he returned to Israel.

One of the reasons why many Christians who, when posed with this question try to give reasons why Christ stayed at home, is that they want to believe that Christians have a monopoly on Christ, and that no other people met Him.

There is a possible reason why it would have been easy for Christ to travel, and it has to do with the wise men guided by God to the point where Christ was at birth. They were from the east and prominent priests. Its likely they would have checked up on Christ during his boyhood and taken him with them at some point.

The most unlikely thing Christ would have done from 12 to 30, is be a carpenter and live an ordinary life.
  10. Joined
    21 Jul '06
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 12:25
    ..And the likelihood of a carpenters son becoming the Messiah is even less..
    How very true!
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 14:332 edits
    The Scriptures are silent about the death of Joseph. But it is noteworthy that Mark 6:3 called Jesus “the son of Mary,” not Joseph. This indicates that Joseph was then dead. Moreover, if Joseph had lived until 33 C.E., it is unlikely that the impaled Jesus would have entrusted Mary to the care of the apostle John.—John 19:26, 27.

what are the implications of this? that Christ as eldest would have been responsible for looking after the material, physical and spiritual needs of his family, anyone who has visited the East or who is aware of Jewish or similar Eastern customs, can readily discern this.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 14:50
    ... that Christ as eldest would have been responsible for looking after the material, physical and spiritual needs of his family....
    And this guess of yours overrides the certainty that Christ said" ...I must be about my Father's business
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 15:20
    can anyone other than Raj explain to me what he is on about?
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 16:06
    can anyone other than Raj explain to me what he is on about?
    You are taking the view that between 12 and 30 Christ would have stayed at home with his mother and do ... family stuff. I am taking the view that Christ would have had to be about his Father's business and teached, preached and traveled, mostly likely out of Israel. Even a child can understand what I am saying.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Aug '09 16:15
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    You are taking the view that between 12 and 30 Christ would have stayed at home with his mother and do ... family stuff. I am taking the view that Christ would have had to be about his Father's business and teached, preached and traveled, mostly likely out of Israel. Even a child can understand what I am saying.
    can someone point out to Raj that Christ did not commence his ministry until he was first baptised in the Jordan river at about the age of thirty

(Luke 3:23) . . .Furthermore, Jesus himself, when he commenced his work, was about thirty years old, being the son, as the opinion was, of Joseph,. . .

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree