1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 08:15
    Originally posted by bbarr
    If God wants to be feared, then He is little more than a bully. If God wants to be respected, He should start acting in a manner deserving of respect.
    You should fear God for the right reasons:

Proverbs 16:6 - By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.

Does this action of God not deserve some respect?

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
  2. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 08:18
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    "Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."

Since you don't know God, you're not qualified to describe him. If you don't like another's desciption of him, then your problem is with them, not God.

If your an atheist, what about just common decency? Just because you don't agree with another's belief does not mean you have to trample all over it.
    Of course I don't know your God, but I know how He is described by God-mongers like dj2becker. I base my assessment of God on their descriptions. If those descriptions are inaccurate (e.g. if God doesn't really want people to fear Him) then you owe it to your God to clear up these misconceptions. I do not think views of the sort endorsed by folks like dj2becker are deserving of respect. They are, by and large, vile and degrading to human persons.
  3. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 08:22
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    You should fear God for the right reasons:

Proverbs 16:6 - By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the LORD men depart from evil.

Does this action of God not deserve some respect?

John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    Unlike you, I don't need the fear of eternal torment to motivate me to act morally. I have never been evil, and hence have not had to depart from evil. No, God's sacrificing His own innocent son does not deserve respect, but rather universal horror and outrage. Since God is omnipotent, He could have bestowed everlasting life with a snap of His fingers. This required no bloody martyr.
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 08:22
    Hey, if God wants to be feared, then what is there that needs to be known about his character? I hear Napolean also wanted to be feared...
    You have it the wrong way around. Once you know God's true character, you will automatically have fear and respect for him in the same sense that a loving son has for a loving father. It is a healthy type of fear that builds the relationship ever so strong.
  5. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 08:251 edit
    You have it the wrong way around. Once you know God's true character, you will automatically have fear and respect for him in the same sense that a loving son has for a loving father. It is a healthy type of fear that builds the relationship ever so strong.
    I'm not sure what your relationship with your father was like, but I never feared my father because I knew that he loved me and wanted me to be happy. Loving relationships don't acquire strength from fear, but are rather undermined by it.
  6. Colorado
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 08:352 edits
    Of course I don't know your God, but I know how He is described by God-mongers like dj2becker. I base my assessment of God on their descriptions. If those descriptions are inaccurate (e.g. if God doesn't really want people to fear Him) then you owe it to your God to clear up these misconceptions. I do not think views of the sort endorsed by folks like dj2becker are deserving of respect. They are, by and large, vile and degrading to human persons.
    1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear has torment. He that fearth is not made perfect in love."

I don't believe that we are to fear God either. I believe God would rather have our love, and this can't happen if we fear him.

If you attack Jesus, then you attack everybody's God. I love Jesus also. I would appreciate it if you kept your attacks to the people involved.

Thanks, peace.
  7. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 08:36
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    1 John 4:18 "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear has torment. He that fearth is not made perfect in love."

I don't believe we are to fear God either. I believe God would rather have our love, and this can't happen if we fear him.

If you attack Jesus than you attack everybody's God. I love Jesus also. I would appreciate it if you kept your attacks to the people involved.

Thanks, peace.
    I take no issue with Jesus. Take care.
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 08:44
    Unlike you, I don't need the fear of eternal torment to motivate me to act morally. I have never been evil, and hence have not had to depart from evil. No, God's sacrificing His own innocent son does not deserve respect, but rather universal horror and outrage. Since God is omnipotent, He could have bestowed everlasting life with a snap of His fingers. This required no bloody martyr.
    Unlike you, I don't need the fear of eternal torment to motivate me to act morally.

It is not the fear of eternal torture that motivates me to act morally. Out of my own strength it would be impossible. It is only by God's grace that I can do anything that is acceptable to Him.

I have never been evil, and hence have not had to depart from evil.

Romans 3:23 - For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God...

1 John 1:8 - If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Christ came to save sinners like myself.

No, God's sacrificing His own innocent son does not deserve respect, but rather universal horror and outrage.

1 Corinthians 1:18 - For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Philippians 2:8 - And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Hebrews 12:2 - Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2 Corinthians 5:21 - For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

1 John 1:8 - If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Christ who had no sin had to carry all our sins on the cross so that we could be made pure.

Since God is omnipotent, He could have bestowed everlasting life with a snap of His fingers. This required no bloody martyr.

God is Holy. We cannot come into his presence with our sin. A price had to be payed to take away our sin so that we could be justified.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 08:491 edit
    I'm not sure what your relationship with your father was like, but I never feared my father because I knew that he loved me and wanted me to be happy. Loving relationships don't acquire strength from fear, but are rather undermined by it.
    Maybe you don't quite get what I mean with the word "fear". I am not refering to "fear" in the sense of "being scared", but rather "reverance" and "respect". In other words, I would not dare to insult my father or make fun of Him because I love and respect him.
  10. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 08:54
    Maybe you don't quite get what I mean with the word "fear". I am refering to "fear" in the sense of "reverance" and "respect". In other words, I would not dare to insult my father or make fun of Him because I love and respect him.
    Well, if by 'fear' you mean 'love and respect', then I suggest you cut out the middle-man and just use the terms 'love and respect'. I don't begrudge anybody the desire to be loved and respected, God included.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 09:01
    Well, if by 'fear' you mean 'love and respect', then I suggest you cut out the middle-man and just use the terms 'love and respect'. I don't begrudge anybody the desire to be loved and respected, God included.
    My bad.

I should have made it clear from the start.

"fear" : def 3. "Extreme reverence or awe"

www.dictionary.com
  12. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 10:46
    People don't have respect for your God because He comes across as a petty and jealous tyrant.
    And have you seen that? Even experienced it?

Palease!!!!!!!!
  13. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 10:50
    @ dj2becker

Werner 2:24 "Please, sons of christ. Stopeth makingeth referenceth to that damneth story booketh you believeth in whilst debating issueth with atheists."
  14. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 10:57
    Originally posted by Crowley
    @ dj2becker

Werner 2:24 "Please, sons of christ. Stopeth makingeth referenceth to that damneth story booketh you believeth in whilst debating issueth with atheists."
    You should 2
  15. London
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 11:37
    Originally posted by Maustrauser
    Oh don't be pathetic. They know exactly what they do. They are having a good mock. Which I have to say is very therapeutic.
    ther·a·peu·tic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (thr-pytk) also ther·a·peu·ti·cal (-t-kl)
    adj.
    Having or exhibiting healing powers

How is it therapeutic? What defect or malady are they suffering from?

---
    * http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=therapeutic

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree