1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 12:33
    Originally posted by Crowley
    @ dj2becker

Werner 2:24 "Please, sons of christ. Stopeth makingeth referenceth to that damneth story booketh you believeth in whilst debating issueth with atheists."
    Ah. So you admit that Atheists are being subjective?
  2. London
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 12:55
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Ah. So you admit that Atheists are being subjective?
    How is asking people not to refer to the Bible as a priori truth being subjective?
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 13:02
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    How is asking people not to refer to the Bible as a priori truth being subjective?
    Because that is already being bias against the Bible.
  4. London
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 13:43
    Because that is already being bias against the Bible.
    Not necessarily.

Before you start quoting the Bible as Truth / God's Word, you need to provide sufficient reason for believing that is Truth / God's Word.

Just substitute 'The Godfather' for 'Bible' in the previous sentence and you'll see why.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 13:47
    How is it therapeutic? What defect or malady are they suffering from?
    People find it therapeutic because it makes them laugh. "Laughter is the best medicine"--with retail therapy a close second.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 13:59
    Not necessarily.

Before you start quoting the Bible as Truth / God's Word, you need to provide sufficient reason for believing that is Truth / God's Word.

Just substitute 'The Godfather' for 'Bible' in the previous sentence and you'll see why.
    How do you do this to a strong atheist, who has already made up his/her mind that God does not exist?
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 14:15
    How do you do this to a strong atheist, who has already made up his/her mind that God does not exist?
    How's your dissertation coming along dj2? I'm looking forward to it, is it expected any time soon?
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 14:58
    Originally posted by Starrman
    How's your dissertation coming along dj2? I'm looking forward to it, is it expected any time soon?
    Yea still working on it. I'm sure you're not in a hurry?
  9. London
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 15:02
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    People find it therapeutic because it makes them laugh. "Laughter is the best medicine"--with retail therapy a close second.
    Medicine serves either to cure a sickness, or prevent one. Which sickness are they trying to be cured of / avoid?

Moreover, if laughter is indeed the best medicine, then do you think 'Jew' jokes will have a similar therapeutic value? How about 'Negro' jokes? 'Fag'/'dyke' jokes?

LH
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 15:081 edit
    Medicine serves either to cure a sickness, or prevent one. Which sickness are they trying to be cured of / avoid?

Moreover, if laughter is indeed the best medicine, then do you think 'Jew' jokes will have a similar therapeutic value? How about 'Negro' jokes? 'Fag'/'dyke' jokes?
    The sickness of (po-faced, self-righteous) humourlessness.

Nobody tells a Jew (etc) joke as well as a Jew (etc).
  11. London
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 15:251 edit

Why do you call it sick? Is it "sick" for a Christian to say that shaviximir's and howard's "jokes" are as offensive to him as a 'fag'/'dyke' joke would be to a homosexual?

But, according to the logic you and Mastrauser have used in this thread, a 'Jew' joke would still be "therapeutic" when told by a neo-Nazi.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 15:372 edits
    1. Is it "sick" for a Christian to say that shaviximir's and howard's "jokes" are as offensive to him as a 'fag'/'dyke' joke would be to a homosexual?

2. But, according to the logic you and Mastrauser have used in this thread, a 'Jew' joke would still be "therapeutic" when told by a neo-Nazi.
    1. A humourless Christian is about as much use as a punctured watering can. The same goes for any humourless person. "Take it from whom it comes".

2. An aspirin is probably as effective on a neo-Nazi as it is on a nun.
  13. London
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 16:002 edits
    1. A humourless Christian is about as much use as a punctured watering can. The same goes for any humourless person.

2. An aspirin is probably as effective on a neo-Nazi as it is on a nun.
    1a. Is it reasonable to infer then that you have no problems with me making 'Jew', 'Negro', 'fag' or 'dyke' jokes?

1b. Is it reasonable to infer that if Jews, African-Americans or homosexuals do not laugh at those jokes then they're "humourless"?

2. You're just trying to evade a straight response.

Why don't we just call it for what it is? We both know you cannot make a coherent case for asking a Christian to have a 'sense of humour' about those jokes without simultaneously arguing that the classes of people I mentioned must have a 'sense of humour' about offensive jokes about them and what they hold dear.

If shavix and howard have not intended their posts to be offensive, all they have to do is apologise for the offence caused and alert the mods to remove the posts/thread. But we both know that's not going to happen.

You're not a Christian; you don't find those jokes offensive. I am a Christian; I do. Now you don't strike me as the kind of person who would make or condone a joke that Jews (or African-Americans, or homosexuals) explicitly state to be offensive. What prevents you from taking the same position with Christians?

LH

EDIT: Does your statement - "Take it from whom it comes" - imply that you expect a homosexual not to take offence at statements like "God hates fags"?
  14. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 16:12
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Unlike you, I don't need the fear of eternal torment to motivate me to act morally. I have never been evil, and hence have not had to depart from evil. No, God's sacrificing His own innocent son does not deserve respect, but rather universal horror and outrage. Since God is omnipotent, He could have bestowed everlasting life with a snap of His fingers. This required no bloody martyr.
    Bbarr: "Unlike you, I don't need the fear of eternal torment to motivate me to act morally."

Don't make me laugh. You are certainly not acting morally on this chess site.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Oct '05 16:141 edit
    Why don't we just call it for what it is? We both know you cannot make a coherent case for asking a Christian to have a 'sense of humour' about those jokes without simultaneously arguing that the classes of people I mentioned must have a 'sense of humour' about offensive jokes about them and what they hold dear.
    That is precisely what I maintain.

I don't care what jokes you make. Joke away.

There are degrees of humourlessness.

A crap joke is a crap joke (who says all of shavixmir and howardgee's jokes are funny?).

"Take it from whom it comes" means recognising an ass as an ass and not getting your panties in a knot about what that ass might say.

Is "God hates fags" a joke or a statement?

I don't support censorship unless it is self-imposed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree