1. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 02:471 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Clever of you to bait them in that way. It's like cheese on a mousetrap. Boy, won't they be sorry!
    So what is it that you believe in, nothing?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 03:101 edit
    Originally posted by chappy1
    So what is it that you believe in, nothing?
    I believe in many things, but not your god.

Sooooo....where are the Muslims? They should be dropping in any second now. Yep, any second.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 03:286 edits
    Who is greater Jesus or Muhammad? Let's analyze this shall we?

Did Jesus have an earthly father?
    Bible:
    His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. Matthew 1:18

"How will this be," Mary asked the angel, "since I am a virgin?" The angel answered, "The Holy Sp ther except through me"- Jesus
    John 14:6

Merry Christmas!
    "Did Jesus ascend to heaven after his crucifixion, death, and resurrection?
    Bible:
    After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes. And a cloud hid him from their sight. Acts 1:9

Qur'an:
    That they said (in boast) "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah; but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therin are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-
    Nay, Allah raised him up unto Himself; and Allah is Exalted in Power, Wise. Surah 4: 157-158

It looks as if the Bible and Qur'an agree again."

You might want to read the passage from the Qur'an again. It's my understanding that Muslims do not believe that it was Jesus that was crucified on the cross. This passage seems to support this idea. How you inferred that this means that the Qur'an agrees that Jesus "ascend[ed] to heaven after his crucifixion, death, and resurrection" is beyond me. If this is an indication of the level of care you took to understand what the Qur'an was saying, then it seems likely that your understanding is poor at best.

Capitalizing all the letters in "Jesus" and not even the first letter in "Muhammed" is in poor taste at best. It's evident that this thread is just an attempt at Islam bashing rather than an attempt to ascertain truth.
  4. Joined
    24 Feb '07
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 03:53
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]"Did Jesus ascend to heaven after his crucifixion, death, and resurrection?
    Bible:
    After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes. And a cloud hid him from their sight. Acts 1:9

Qur'an:
    That they said (in boast) "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah; but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it w ...[text shortened]... d is just an attempt at Islam bashing rather than an attempt to ascertain truth.
    Yes I know the Muslims don't believe he died on the cross or in the resurrection, I've said this already. But what do you think that "Nay, Allah raised him up unto Himself means?" It only proves they believe he was taken up to heaven- that was my point.

I don't need to acertain the truth because I already know the truth. Jesus Christ is truth. Muhammad was nothing which was why I didn't bother to capitalize his name.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 04:45
    Yes I know the Muslims don't believe he died on the cross or in the resurrection, I've said this already. But what do you think that "Nay, Allah raised him up unto Himself means?" It only proves they believe he was taken up to heaven- that was my point.

I don't need to acertain the truth because I already know the truth. Jesus Christ is truth. Muhammad was nothing which was why I didn't bother to capitalize his name.
    Your assertion was that the Qur'an agrees Jesus "ascend[ed] to heaven after his crucifixion, death, and resurrection". This is not true.

It's evident that you are not interested in truth, so much as making juvenile attempts at propping up your belief system while disparaging another. You're either a teenager who doesn't know better or an "adult" who has yet to grow up.
  6. Illinois
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 05:424 edits
    There are in existence NT manuscripts which date between 50-60 A.D. (within a generation (30 years) of Jesus of Nazareth's ministry), written at a time when durable paper wasn't even in use, yet there isn't a single copy of the Qur'an written prior to 750 A.D., more than 100 years after Muhammad's death.

With the enormous number of manuscripts available for the Christian scriptures, all compiled long before the time Muhammad was born, it is incredible that Islam cannot provide a single corroborated manuscript of their most holy book from even within a century of their founder's birth.
  7. Break-twitching
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 06:43
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Did it ever occur to you that maybe the stories in the bible aren't true?
    The Bible is the inspired word of God, therefore it IS true.
  8. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 07:031 edit
    Well we'll see.
    Yet another myth started by space aliens artificially inseminating some teenager.
  9. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 09:35
    You're giving me information I already know...
    You do not demonstrate that you know the information. If you do, in fact, know the information then you are disregarding it entirely.

You original question was rhetorical and you analysis nonexistent.
  10. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 10:431 edit
    Originally posted by dystoniac
    The Bible is the inspired word of God, therefore it IS true.
    Non-fictional proof please.........

Deliberate baiting sorry.....
  11. Standard memberMexico
    Quis custodiet
    ipsos custodes?
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 10:46
    I see everyone else has dealt with this ridiculously childish attempt to prove that Christianity is better than Islam..... But I just thought I'd add my weight to the argument.

chappy have you read the Qur'an or did you pick the information and quotes out of context from generic christian website #891???
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 10:591 edit
    i feel it is unfair of you all to attribute such underhanded and nefarious motives to the poster, but we Christians realise that scepticism is a reflection of the character of many, however, yes it can be a somewhat controversial subject, however is not the inquirer simply asking us to compare the two? therefore i suggest that we look at the two characters, not just the legacy that they left. therefore what examples did they set is a much more pertinent point, at least to me anyway, for to Muslims Muhammad is the exemplary one, and to Christians, the Christ.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 13:22
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i feel it is unfair of you all to attribute such underhanded and nefarious motives to the poster, but we Christians realise that scepticism is a reflection of the character of many, however, yes it can be a somewhat controversial subject, however is not the inquirer simply asking us to compare the two? therefore i suggest that we look at the two cha ...[text shortened]... least to me anyway, for to Muslims Muhammad is the exemplary one, and to Christians, the Christ.
    It seems to me that in Islam you get to double your money. You get both Jesus and Muhammed. In Christianity you get only Jesus.
  14. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 13:36
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    There are in existence NT manuscripts which date between 50-60 A.D. (within a generation (30 years) of Jesus of Nazareth's ministry), written at a time when durable paper wasn't even in use, yet there isn't a single copy of the Qur'an written prior to 750 A.D., more than 100 years after Muhammad's death.

With the enormous number of manuscripts availab ...[text shortened]... ed manuscript of their most holy book from even within a century of their founder's birth.
    The first books of the NT were written around 50-60 CE, but you don't have any manuscript fragments from until the 2nd century. You don't have a complete copy of the bible from until the 4th century (the Codex Sinaiticus, or the Codex Vitacinus). The earliest NT fragment that we have in our possession is the "Rylands Library Papyrus P52", dated to around 125-160 CE. It contains some snippets from the Gospel of John, which, paradoxically, was the last NT gospel to be written.

If Muslims were able to produce a complete manuscript of the Qur'an within 150 years of Muhammed's death, they're certainly ahead of the Christians in that regard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papyrus_52

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_manuscripts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Sinaiticus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Vaticanus
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Dec '08 13:481 edit
    It seems the "Sana'a manuscripts" are the oldest copies of the Qur'an in existence. They date to the later half of the 7th century. Muhammed died in 632. This means the Sana'a manuscripts were produced less than a century after his death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sana'a_manuscripts

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree