1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 03:02
    "He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal."

What do you think Jesus meant by this?
  2. Standard memberRuppster1
    Saved by grace.
    State of Denial.
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 03:27
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    "He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal."

Our focus is to be on God, not the things of this world. If our focus is on this world instead of God, we run the risk of losing the gift of redemption and eternal life. I think that is what Jesus meant when he said that passage.
  3. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 03:56

I think it is a mistake to excerpt a single verse of Scripture out of context and ask people to comment
    on 'it.'

This verse is preceded and extensively followed by 'predictions' of Jesus' Passion, and it immediately
    follows after the 'grain of wheat' aphorism -- that is, one of sacrifice of one for the good of the many.

So, it is about being sufficiently detached from the world to recognize that to lose one's life for a
    righteous cause is a just calling worthy of Divine recognition (and reward), and to avoid righteousness
    just to 'stay alive' only postpones the inevitable (death) and lives a vapid existence.

The sort of ascetic viewpoint endorsed by this writing is why many scholars consider this Gospel to
    be 'proto-Gnostic.'

Nemesio
  4. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 04:21

it means that he who hateth his life be f ed; as translated in ebonics.
  5. Earth
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 05:39

If thou lovest Me, turn away from thyself; and if thou seekest My pleasure, regard not thine own; that thou mayest die in Me and I may eternally live in thee.

(Baha'u'llah, The Arabic Hidden Words)
  6. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 13:47
    Originally posted by Varqa
    If thou lovest Me, turn away from thyself; and if thou seekest My pleasure, regard not thine own; that thou mayest die in Me and I may eternally live in thee.

We are spirits in the material world.

(The Police)
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 14:46
    Originally posted by Ruppster1
    Our focus is to be on God, not the things of this world. If our focus is on this world instead of God, we run the risk of losing the gift of redemption and eternal life. I think that is what Jesus meant when he said that passage.
    At what point is our focus no longer on God? Do you see a clear dividing line?
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 14:481 edit
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    I think it is a mistake to excerpt a single verse of Scripture out of context and ask people to comment
    on 'it.'

This verse is preceded and extensively followed by 'predictions' of Jesus' Passion, and it immediately
    follows after the 'grain of wheat' aphorism -- that is, one of sacrifice of one for the good of the many.

So, it is about being sufficie writing is why many scholars consider this Gospel to
    be 'proto-Gnostic.'

Nemesio
    Is it about being willing to 'lose one's life for a righteous cause' or about righteous living?
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 14:49
    Originally posted by Varqa

Seems like Baha'u'llah might have understood a thing or two 🙂
  10. London
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 15:14

As with most cryptic proto-Gnostic references in John, Jesus was secretly revealing his affinity with Eastern Philosophies and the necessity of those who wish to be saved to abandon their worldly shells and ascend to a higher plane of existence.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 18:57

I think it akin to Pual's teaching in Galations 6:8. "For he that sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he that sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap life everlasing."

I believe the verse in question is Matthew 10:39. If you notice the verses before Jesus is saying that he that loves father or mother or brother etc. more than me is not worthy of me and then calls them to take up their cross and follow him. Then the verse following that says that he that seeks to save his life will loose it. It is my interpretation that Christ is saying that if you love your life more than me, which may cost you your life, then you are not worthy of me. For me, it is akin to the commandment of loving your God above all others and above all else including your own being.
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 21:433 edits

In a nut shell it means that it is absolutely in one's best self interest to follow Jesus Christ. That's the short version.

Don't be deceived. The way of the greatest happiness is in following Jesus.

That's what it basically means. And it is true.
  13. Standard memberblakbuzzrd
    Buzzardus Maximus
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 21:59
    Originally posted by jaywill
    The way of the greatest happiness is in following Jesus.
    That's not what Jesus said. He said that if you followed him you'd get your ass kicked repeatedly, and maybe even fatally.

See, for example, Matthew 24:9.
  14. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 23:392 edits
    Originally posted by blakbuzzrd
    That's not what Jesus said. He said that if you followed him you'd get your ass kicked repeatedly, and maybe even fatally.

See, for example, Matthew 24:9.
    I saw Matthew 24:9. Now let's hear it from someone who underwent these kinds of persecutions and killing and see what he has to say - Paul:

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation or anguish or persecution or famine or nakedness or peril or sword? ... But in all these things we more than conquer through Him who loved us.

For I am persuaded that niether death nor life nor angels nore principalities nor things prewent nor things to come nor powers nor height nor depth nor any other creature will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." (See Romans 8:35 - 39).

God does not allow His saints to undergo more than they are prepared to handle by His grace. Some will have to face persecution as you pointed out. But the power of Christ's resurrection life causes them to be more than conquerors.

How trustworthy would the gospel be if there had not been outragous opposition against it through the centries. The persecutions have not caused the faith to die. And the power and approvedness of the truth has been manifested in the face of terrible attack.

This testimony has strengthened our confidence in the gospel of Christ and not weakened it. And Jesus Himself said:

"These things I have spoken to you that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have affliction, but take courage; I HAVE OVERCOME THE WORLD" (John 16:33)

(my emphasis)
  15. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    13 Jul '07 02:53

I think he is saying don't live for yourself, Live for him, serve him by serving others.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree