1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 00:0111 edits
    Seems like most Christians seem to understand the concept of Jesus "abiding" in people and do not believe that those people and Jesus are one and the same.
    Yet many seem not to be able to understand the concept of God "abiding" in Jesus in a similar manner.

Seems like most Christians seem to understand the concept of being able to "see Jesus" in the works some people do and do not believe that those people and Jesus are one and the same.
    Yet many seem not to be able to understand the concept of being able to "see God" in the works Jesus did in a similar manner.

Perhaps these concepts can be best understood through the following:
    John 14
    9Jesus said to him, “Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10“Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own initiative, but the Father abiding in Me does His works. 11“Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me; otherwise believe because of the works themselves.

Clearly Jesus makes a distinction between Him and God.
    Clearly Jesus expects Philip to be able to "see" the Father in the works that He does with the Father abiding / working within Him.

Jesus explains a similar concept here
    John 12
    44And Jesus cried out and said, “He who believes in Me, does not believe in Me but in Him who sent Me. 45“He who sees Me sees the One who sent Me.

Clearly Jesus makes a distinction between Him and God.
    Clearly Jesus expects His followers (believers) to be able to "see God" in Him. This is similar in concept to where Jesus expects Philip to "see" the Father in the works that He does with the Father abiding / working within Him.

It's not surprising that Thomas would echo these concepts in uttering the words, "My Lord and my God!".
    Thomas is merely echoing the concepts Jesus explained in John 12 and John 14.

It does not mean that Jesus and God are one and the same.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 03:563 edits
    The confession of Thomas that Jesus Christ is his Lord and his God is entirely consistent with John's crucial prologue of his Gospel. That is that the Word was God and became flesh.

" ... and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." (John 1:1b)

"And the Word became flesh and tabernacled among us (and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only Begotten from the Father,) full of grace and reality." (v.14)

John nearly closes his Gospel with the prologue confirming confession of the doubting empiricist Thomas.

"Thomas answered and said to him, My Lord and my God."
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 05:224 edits
    Originally posted by sonship
    The confession of Thomas that Jesus Christ is his Lord and his God is entirely consistent with John's crucial prologue of his Gospel. That is that the Word was God and became flesh.

[b] " ... and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." (John 1:1b)

"And the Word became flesh and tabernacled among us (and we beheld His glory, glory as of ...[text shortened]... ist Thomas.

[quote] [b] "Thomas answered and said to him, My Lord and my God."
    [/b]
    The bottom line is that the concept that Jesus and God are one and the same is inconsistent with the words of Jesus while He walked the Earth.

As Jesus plainly states in John 12:44-45:
    "“He who believes in Me, does not believe in Me but in Him who sent Me. 45“He who sees Me sees the One who sent Me."

And in John 14:10
    "“Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own initiative, but the Father abiding in Me does His works."

Jesus makes a clear distinction between Him and God.

Jesus is the Son. God is the Father. They are not one and the same.
    The Father sent the Son. They are not one and the same.

Those who "see God" in Jesus, "see" the Father in the works that He does with the Father abiding / working within Him.

Thomas is merely echoing the concepts Jesus explained in John 12 and John 14:
    “He who sees Me sees the One who sent Me."
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 07:45
    Originally posted by roigam
    Thomas was addfressing two individuals, Jesus and God.
    He gave credit to God for providing Jesus as a savoir for himself and all mankind.
    You are incorrect.

Colossians 2:9
    "For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form.."
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 07:46
    Originally posted by roigam
    Thomas said, "my Lord.....and.....my God......"
    clearly two individuals and two different positions, Lord (see James 2:1) and God, our Creator and provider of our savoir and Lord Jesus. See Isa. 43:11.
    Enough for now or I will wind up quoting the whole Bible to you.
    Oh dear.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 08:47
    Originally posted by leunammi
    Have a Happy New Year!
    An excellent demonstration of Christianity at work sir, turning the other cheek.

Have a splendid New Year.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 15:401 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    An excellent demonstration of Christianity at work sir, turning the other cheek.

Have a splendid New Year.
    It's good that leunammi doesn't see your loaded question for what it is?

It's good that leunammi looks upon having it pointed out to him the same as being "struck"?
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 16:11
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    It's good that leunammi doesn't see your loaded question for what it is?

It's good that leunammi looks upon having it pointed out to him the same as being "struck"?
    Let us hope sir you don't carry into 2017 your overwhelming fear of an atheist with a theology degree. (Darn, mentioned it again).
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 16:14
    Let us hope sir you don't carry into 2017 your overwhelming fear of an atheist with a theology degree. (Darn, mentioned it again).
    A theology degree? Bwahahah, did you fall in the Thames and come up with it in your pocket.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 16:16
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Seems like most Christians seem to understand the concept of Jesus "abiding" in people and do not believe that those people and Jesus are one and the same.
    Yet many seem not to be able to understand the concept of God "abiding" in Jesus in a similar manner.

Seems like most Christians seem to understand the concept of being able to "see Jesus" in the ...[text shortened]... s explained in John 12 and John 14.

It does not mean that Jesus and God are one and the same.
    excellent reasoning sir!
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 16:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    A theology degree? Bwahahah, did you fall in the Thames and come up with it in your pocket.
    We will have to discuss my degree quietly sir, as it gives ThinkOfOne the willies.

Was actually planning on being an RE teacher. Imagine the horror!!!
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 16:411 edit
    We will have to discuss my degree quietly sir, as it gives ThinkOfOne the willies.

Was actually planning on being an RE teacher. Imagine the horror!!!
    Sir I will help you regain your faith and you can pursue your dreams and become an RE teacher! Think of all the paid holidays!
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 17:08
    Sir I will help you regain your faith and you can pursue your dreams and become an RE teacher! Think of all the paid holidays!
    Obliged sir, though I've never had any faith to regain.

Did RE at A level and loved it. People are passionate when they discuss politics or religion. You just don't get that with Geography or French.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 17:172 edits
    Obliged sir, though I've never had any faith to regain.

Did RE at A level and loved it. People are passionate when they discuss politics or religion. You just don't get that with Geography or French.
    hmm perhaps you just are conscious of your spirituality, or the subject is so rich, or your teacher was awesome. Either way I still think you could be an atheist and still teach RE if you were not a quack.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    31 Dec '16 17:26
    hmm perhaps you just are conscious of your spirituality, or the subject is so rich, or your teacher was awesome. Either way I still think you could be an atheist and still teach RE if you were not a quack.
    Even now sir i'm just a PGCE away from completing that dream.

(Actually preferred my sociology teacher, Mr Miller. He would often bring his guitar into lessons and sing songs from the 60's). He was one cool dude.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree