JW Mind Control

JW Mind Control

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
19 Sep 10

Originally posted by Conrau K
I'm not going to argue the point further. I like to discuss points with adults, not children. Perhaps if you had some experience of life, you might not make such outrageous comments as these.
Why don't you just comment on what I said instead of avoiding the obvious. Did Jesus tell us to pursue higher education?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
19 Sep 10

No. The fact that the Catholic Church promotes higher education, from medical research to economics, is the purest expression of the gospel. It is ultimately to help others. I am just horrified at this revelation of your organisation. Saying that medical research is unimportant is evil.
Now your lying because Robbie or myself never said the medical field was evil. Why do you lie?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
19 Sep 10

Originally posted by galveston75
Why don't you just comment on what I said instead of avoiding the obvious. Did Jesus tell us to pursue higher education?
If I had to single out most important teaching of Christ it would be the following ... all of which are related:

- love thy neighbour
- do good works
- feed the poor
- clothe the naked

All of these are embodied in the parable of the Good Samaritan. How can you help and feed and clothe if you dont have financial resources. To have financial resources (by and large) you need to be educated and trained.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
19 Sep 10

- love thy neighbour
- do good works
- feed the poor
- clothe the naked

So would the preaching, teaching and education work Jesus told us to do not qualify as "Loving your neighbor or doing good works?"
Or is loving your neighbor and doing good works just saying hi to them in passing?
And the Witnesses do millions of dollars of relief help all over the world daily.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
19 Sep 10

- love thy neighbour
- do good works
- feed the poor
- clothe the naked

So would the preaching, teaching and education work Jesus told us to do not qualify as "Loving your neighbor or doing good works?"
Or is loving your neighbor and doing good works just saying hi to them in passing?
And the Witnesses do millions of dollars of relief help all over the world daily.
Do you go door to door preaching what Christ said to preach?

Do you go door to door preaching what Charles Russell and JW org said to preach?

They are two distinct and separate doctrines.

Do you teach people about the 141 restrictions ?

You are not doing the will of Christ by preaching the doctrine of Russel.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Sep 10

Now your lying because Robbie or myself never said the medical field was evil. Why do you lie?
I never accused you of saying medical research was evil; I simply accused you of discouraging it, which is evil. With poor reading comprehension like, no wonder you don't attempt tertiary education. You're still struggling with secondary education.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Sep 10

No. I don't see your point. Jesus never mentioned Keynesian economics but that has no bearing on its merits.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
19 Sep 10

I'm sure Jesus didn't comment much on how to use the internet. But you still do it.

rc

Moves
19 Sep 10

I never accused you of saying medical research was evil; I simply accused you of discouraging it, which is evil. With poor reading comprehension like, no wonder you don't attempt tertiary education. You're still struggling with secondary education.
perhaps you might like to send him a pancake recipe, you know, as an ultimate expression of the gospels truth!

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
19 Sep 10

1 Corinthians 1:26-29 (New International Version)

26 Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him.

Perhaps you missed this scripture from yesterday. The only one your higher education impresses is you.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
19 Sep 10

he also didn't tell us to pursue public sewage and sanitation, but if we didn't we would be swimming in our own garbage and feces. Christ never said we shouldn't seek higher or better education, he didn't need to...he assumed we'd be wise enough to do so on our own.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
19 Sep 10

Originally posted by duecer
he also didn't tell us to pursue public sewage and sanitation, but if we didn't we would be swimming in our own garbage and feces. Christ never said we shouldn't seek higher or better education, he didn't need to...he assumed we'd be wise enough to do so on our own.
Wow..getting silly now. There are many things Jesus didn't say but to use that example is really going out there.
But if one is looking at Jesus as what a Christian should be doing, he led us not only by command but also by example.
Again there are 2 major points about looking at Jesus that should be clear. First he did not pursue any type of higher positions either spiritually or secularly. Remember he was a carpenter, not a mathematition, or politician or even some high and mighty religious leader. He was very humble in his life.
Once he turned 30 he started the minisrty work and not only told his followers to do it, he did it himself. Nothing else, no job, no schooling, nothing but the ministry.
And he never ever told any of his followers to do any aditional schooling or the pursuit of higher learning.
If anyone on this planet could have made a killing with a business life it would have been Jesus.
So do you have any idea why he never encouraged his followers to do that? There is a very obvious reason but do you know?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
19 Sep 10
1 edit

Wow..getting silly now. There are many things Jesus didn't say but to use that example is really going out there.
But if one is looking at Jesus as what a Christian should be doing, he led us not only by command but also by example.
Again there are 2 major points about looking at Jesus that should be clear. First he did not pursue any type of higher ...[text shortened]... y he never encouraged his followers to do that? There is a very obvious reason but do you know?
Deucer's getting silly? Are you for real?

The irony is that we wouldn't be sat here being able to have this conversation if people didn't further their education.

How did the internet come about? Magic? Nope. Someone went to college and furthered their education.

What kind of world would we live in if we all decided to be carpenters? How would you manage your back pain if someone hadn't gone to college?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
19 Sep 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Deucer's getting silly? Are you for real?

The irony is that we wouldn't be sat here being able to have this conversation if people didn't further their education.

How did the internet come about? Magic? Nope. Someone went to college and furthered their education.

What kind of world would we live in if we all decided to be carpenters? How would you manage your back pain if someone hadn't gone to college?
Have I ever said that higher education was wrong for ones that see that as something they decide to do? Have I ever said that if a JW decides to follow that course that they would be kicked out of the organization?
I believe I haven't.
So instead of you guys doing your typical knee jerk reactions I'll clear this up.
The science, medical, legal, etc, etc, fields have done some great things. No JW will ever say differently. But the organization does not encourage us to pursue that because we feel we have made a commitment by baptism that we will devote our life's as much as possible to do the work Jesus told us all to do.
The problem with pursuing higher education which usually includes many years of schooling an studying that it will hinder the time we should be spending out in the ministry work that Jesus did and told us to do to find ones that are interested in learning what the future holds for humans.
It is a very, very important thing we feel we have to do.
But it is something that is up to each individual in the organization to decide for themselves. And many have followed that option but on a smaller scale. Maybe night school or whatever would still give them time for the ministry work.
Most JW's chose to live a simpler life and do not get involved with much higher paying jobs as that tends to take up more then the usual amount of time needed to provide for our families.
And sometimes the pursuit of higher paying jobs tend to get ones caught up in the want of more and more material items. That's one thing that has hurt this economy here in this country. Living way above ones means.
So we have no problem with what good has come out of higher education as overall it has no doubt made all our life's easier.
But you guys are smart enough to make things better in the short time for us in this system. We're trying to make things better for ones in the future with a future life in the paradise that the bible promisses. We are simply doing what Jesus told us to do...

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
19 Sep 10

1 Corinthians 1:26-29 (New International Version)

26 Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28He chose th ...[text shortened]... s you missed this scripture from yesterday. The only one your higher education impresses is you.
Perhaps you missed this scripture from yesterday. The only one your higher education impresses is you.

It's not about impressing anyone; it's about helping. There is quite a lot of hypocrisy in this. You use public infrastructure, like roads, sewerage and electricity. No doubt you have visited a medical practitioner of some kind and have received education from a teacher. When accusing Catholics of borrowing pagan ritual and symbols, you have also shown a penchant for 19th century German scholarship. Higher education is at the core of all these things and it is hypocrisy for you to use them but at the same time discourage them.