Crack a joke or shoot a hockey puck?
  3. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    30 Aug '05 14:53
    Originally posted by darvlay
    ???
    What I meant was: Which God are you talking about? Where does He say so?

The Christian God is not only love, but also just...
  4. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    30 Aug '05 14:58
    Originally posted by Nicolaas
    Then surely Halitose is love?

No - i dont think so 🙂
    ???
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Aug '05 15:14
    Originally posted by Halitose
    What I meant was: Which God are you talking about? Where does He say so?

The Christian God is not [b]only
    love, but also just...[/b]
    You know I'm talking about the Christian God and I know you're just being coy. While there may not be a scriptural reference for this simplistic saying (I haven't bothered to look) it is, no doubt, used by many fundamentalists as a ridiculous, meaningless mantra.
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    30 Aug '05 16:45
    You know I'm talking about the Christian God and I know you're just being coy. While there may not be a scriptural reference for this simplistic saying (I haven't bothered to look) it is, no doubt, used by many fundamentalists as a ridiculous, meaningless mantra.
    While there may not be a scriptural reference for this simplistic saying (I haven't bothered to look) it is, no doubt, used by many fundamentalists as a ridiculous, meaningless mantra.

I agree with you. God's love is ridiculous when divorced from His justice. Its a paradox in duality...
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Aug '05 17:13
    I agree with you. God's love is ridiculous when divorced from His justice. Its a paradox in duality...
    God's "Justice" is not just at all. It's sadism. The white man's burden has always been to spread the message of God to everyone but the fact remains many will die before ever even hearing the Word of God. Those people will be "Left Behind" when the time comes to suffer through the apocalypse. Is that just? Is that love? No, it's neither. It's lunacy and it's senseless.

In the eyes of a "just" God, if anyone should be blamed for the billions of people around the world not serving Christ, it's the Christian who hasn't passionately followed the teachings of Christ to go out and make fishers of men, not those who are unknowingly ignorant of his teachings. Instead, you're playing chess on the internet and pushing paper so that you can send your kids to college. Shame on you.
  8. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 06:16
    God's "Justice" is not just at all. It's sadism. The white man's burden has always been to spread the message of God to everyone but the fact remains many will die before ever even hearing the Word of God. Those people will be "Left Behind" when the time comes to suffer through the apocalypse. Is that just? Is that love? No, it's neither. It' ...[text shortened]... hess on the internet and pushing paper so that you can send your kids to college. Shame on you.
    Is that "just by your standards?

or

Is that "just" by God's standards?

I'm not inclined to say that if somebody hasn't heard of Jesus in as many words then they are confined to hell. God reveals himself to each person individually and each person is responsible for his/her own decisions; God will judge us on our decisions based on how much he has revealed himself to us.

I don't say by this that other religions are then God's alter ego revealing himself to others. There are clear inconsistancies and incompatibilities with Christ.
  9. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 06:55
    Is that "just by [b]your standards?

or

Is that "just" by God's standards?

I'm not inclined to say that if somebody hasn't heard of Jesus in as many words then they are confined to hell. God reveals himself to each person individually and each person is responsible for his/her own decisions; God will judge us on our decisions based ...[text shortened]... revealing himself to others. There are clear inconsistancies and incompatibilities with Christ.[/b]
    You must be aware that there is not one monolithic view in Christianity. You should accept that fact and save yourself the time used to defend views that you really don't hold.
  10. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 07:191 edit
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    You must be aware that there is not one monolithic view in Christianity. You should accept that fact and save yourself the time used to defend views that you really don't hold.
    Sharing our views on spirituality is what this forum's about id'nit? I am aware that Christianity is not one monolithic view, and that's why I pointed out that "God is only love" doesn't hold water with my view of Him.
  11. Joined
    07 Jan '05
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 11:26
    If we are to go out and be Fishers of men, why wont they bite?

The reason for that is, cause they are scared to find the truth, scared to change, scared of God. It is easier for them to say no than to sit down and just think of it.

Our parents are the same, as long as you listen and do what they ask, they give you alot of love, happiness and stuff etc etc and will never punish you - BUT - once you ignore them, do what you want, say what you wanna say, do you really think they are not going to punish you???

The same goes with the law, steel, kill, rape etc etc and you go to jail. If you dont, you get to live at home.

Its the same with God's rules. The choice is yours, if you stay within God's rules and believe in Jesus Christ, the doors of heaven is open for you - but if you dont, then, hell is waiting...
  12. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 11:38
    Sharing our views on spirituality is what this forum's about id'nit? I am aware that Christianity is not one monolithic view, and that's why I pointed out that "God is only love" doesn't hold water with my view of Him.
    when you gonna stand up for the message, I can sense that you know it's about salvation and not punishment.
  13. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 12:24
    when you gonna stand up for the message, I can sense that you know it's about salvation and not punishment.
    True. I think that salvation should be the emphasis. But you need the existance of punishment, otherwise salvation is meaningless.
  14. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 12:571 edit
    True. I think that salvation should be the emphasis. But you need the existance of punishment, otherwise salvation is meaningless.
    Isn't it enough of a punishment ( for want of a better term) to know that God doesn't want you saved?
  15. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    31 Aug '05 13:29
    Isn't it enough of a punishment ( for want of a better term) to know that God doesn't want you saved?
    I'm not quite following you here... What do you mean God doesn't want me saved?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree