1. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 20:20
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    .eternal life is a free gift Jaywill, from God himself, who are you to say who will receive it and who will not? ....😀
    When I hear Jaywill and Epipheneus, the Pharisees come to mind. Remember what Christ said about them ?
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 20:333 edits
    actually i think id better leave you with you perceptions, for to be sure, not only are you able to tell others what you think, but you seem to be possessed of the uncanny ability of telling others what they think as well, its really quite amazing.

i suggest that you look up the sahidic coptic text, then you may come back to the forum a little bet ...[text shortened]... own conclusions, rather than me telling you what it is you should think, isn't that refreshing?
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_1:1 —

Interestingly, Origen of Alexandria, who was a teacher in Greek grammar in the third century wrote about the use of the definite article here:[16]

"We next notice John's use of the article in these sentences. He does not write without care in this respect, nor is he unfamiliar with the niceties of the Greek tongue. In some cases he uses the article, and in some he omits it. He adds the article to the Logos, but to the name of God he adds it sometimes only. He uses the article, when the name of God refers to the uncreated cause of all things, and omits it when the Logos is named God......The true God, then, is The God (ho theos)."

It might suggest that an ancient Greek reader could take the anarthrous noun theos applied to the Word as indefinite. The Coptic translators comtemporaries to Origen seemed to understand it in the same sense. For instance, The SAHIDIC COPTIC JOHN 1:1 says :

Hn tehoueite nefshoop ngi pshaje Auw pshaje nefshoop nnahrm pnoute Auw neunoute pe pshaje

A literal translation of the Sahidic Coptic:

In the beginning existed the word And the word existed in the presence of the god And a god was the word

The Coptic noun "noute" means "god". Also, unlike the ancient Greek and latin the Sahidic Coptic language had an indefinite article. Here those translators used the definite article "p" for the first theos (as the Koine Greek does), but they used the indefinite article "u" before the second theos. Unlike the English language, this indefinite article may be also applied to mass nouns, which could not be translated into English. Accordingly, some have argued that "noute" in John 1:1c should be regarded as a mass noun, thus it would suggest that this noun should be taken as purely qualitative, rather than indefinite. So according to this view the translation should be "The Word was Divine". Nonetheless, others have argued that here "noute" is a count noun, thus the Coptic indefnite article is the same as the english indefinite article.
    Actual usage of the Sahidic Coptic noun "noute" in the Coptic New Testament strongly suggests that it is a count noun that, when bound with the Coptic indefinite article, should be translated into English as "a god." For example, Coptic scholar George Horner's English translation of the Coptic at Acts 28:6 (Bohairic) has "a god." Coptic scholar Bentley Layton gives "a god" for the literal interlinear translation of "u.noute" in his grammar book, "Coptic in 20 Lessons," page 7. (Peeters, Leuven, 2007)

Coptic grammar does not apply the term "qualitative" to nouns. But it does recognize adjectival usage of nouns, in which case, if the context called for it, "u.noute" could be rendered into English as "divine." However, at John 1:1 in Coptic, we have a distinction between "p.noute," or "the god," i.e., "God" in English, and another entity, the Logos or Word (Shaje in Coptic) identified as "u.noute," or "a god." Whereas "divine" could fit here as a paraphrase, there is no contextual or grammatical reason to overlook the entirely proper literal translation, "a god."

I also read the site that you referenced before, which notes that the Sahidic text is a translation from the Greek. As a very early translation, it can certainly serve well as a commentary on the Greek. But it is still a translation, and so the Greek retains primacy. I do not know whether the Sahidic word pshaje captures all the meanings of the Greek word logos; the English word “word” does not. (All I could find searching the web was the logos => pshaje => word formulation; if you can give me someplace else to look, I will.)

Whether noute should be rendered with or without the definite article certainly bears on the question of whether pshaje is “the God” or simply another divine being, to be sure (and I have not argued your theology here). But that does not support your interpolation making logos to refer to the Bible in John 17:17. I see no textual support for thinking that John meant to use logos here in such a different sense as the earlier verses.

However—I’ll grant you this—any divine speech (oral or written), as logos in the narrow sense, would have to be consistent with any of the broader meanings of logos as applied to the divinity.

If I sounded condescending it was because I allowed myself to be piqued by your sarcastic remark about my ability to understand “the function” of the English word “word”.
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 20:43
    Nice post Brother...
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 20:51
    Then use your Bible..Any Bible. It will say the same thing.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 20:531 edit
    Originally posted by jaywill
    ================================
    Haha, you talk of heresy, when you people have accepted, an essentially pagan, idolatrous and blasphemous doctrine, borrowed from Greek philosophy, which contradicts the teachings of the Christ in both word and in deed, has no basis whatsoever in scripture and promulgates a lie. it is to laugh!
    ================= alm of life, your sphere of life.

"He who has the Son has the LIFE"[/b]
    i do not sneer at you jaywill, and as you know i have a rather lively sense of humour. if you feel hurt, this was never the intention, im just having some fun that is all. that is why i come here, yes life is a serious business, but we must have fun along the way. 🙂
  6. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 21:15
    i do not sneer at you jaywill, and as you know i have a rather lively sense of humour. if you feel hurt, this was never the intention, im just having some fun that is all. that is why i come here, yes life is a serious business, but we must have fun along the way. 🙂
    =====================
    if you feel hurt
    ====================

???

Who said anything about me being hurt ?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 21:391 edit
    [b]=====================
    if you feel hurt
    ====================

???

Who said anything about me being hurt ?[/b]
    it was the tone of your post Jaywill which suggested this to me, it is perhaps just my perception, that is all, but what is one to think, when one is described as 'sneering', it is not good my friend. When i state "blasphemous" and "idolatrous", i do not mean it in a literal sense, perhaps i should desist for obviously it is sensitive and quite a controversial subject, but its just me having fun, although i really do think that it is pre Christian, but that besides the point.

I am not a vindictive person Jaywill nor do i desire to hurt anyone, so if i have stepped over the line, perhaps even pole vaulted it, then please make me aware, for it is not always possible to see ourselves the way others see us. I always should keep this scripture in mind, but often times i forget it,

'Who are you to judge the house servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for Jehovah can make him stand.'

and this I always try to apply to myself, with varying degrees of success. 🙂
  8. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 22:034 edits
    it was the tone of your post Jaywill which suggested this to me, it is perhaps just my perception, that is all, but what is one to think, when one is described as 'sneering', it is not good my friend. When i state "blasphemous" and "idolatrous", i do not mean it in a literal sense, perhaps i should desist for obviously it is sensitive and quite a co stand.'

and this I always try to apply to myself, with varying degrees of success. 🙂
    You have affirmed that a belief in the Triune God is the enfluence of ancient pagan religion. Now I do not have the inclination or the time to go off and study a bunch of pre-Christian religions.

But since you seemed to know all about it and that we "borrowed" our concept of the Triune God from those sources, I ask you:

Please show me where there is a parallel to this teaching in any pagan belief:

"Judas, not Isacariot, said to Him, Lord, and what has happened that You are to manifest Yourself to us and not to the world?

Jesus answered and said to him, If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word, and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make an abode with him" (John 14:22,23)

Here Jesus says that He and His Father as the Divine We will come into His lover and make an abode within him.

Now where in pagan religion do you have such a teaching, that someone and his father will come as a "We" and reside, take residence within, indwell, and make an abode with the lover of the son ?

Among the Babylonians? Among the Greeks? Among the Persians?

Show me an equivalent teaching.
  9. Illinois
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 22:302 edits
    to the congregation at Colossae, Asia Minor, the apostle Paul wrote concerning Jesus Christ, according to the Common Bible: “He is the image of the invisible God, the first-born of all creation; for in him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or authorities—all things w watch out for those heart palpations ol Whodey was so worried about 🙂
    ...those who are advocating this pre christian pagan doctrine would do well to consider the thirty or other so references, in scripture, where the term first-born is used...

OK, let's consider a few of these scriptural references...

Exodus 4:22 reads, "Then you shall say to Pharaoh, ‘Thus says the LORD: “Israel is My son, My firstborn." Obviously here the emphasis is on the primacy of Israel’s relation to God. Of all nations, Israel is uniquely chosen by God to occupy a place of high honor and esteem. "Firstborn", therefore, need not necessarily refer exclusively to temporal ascendancy, as you claim.

For another example of this, consider Ephraim and Manasseh in Genesis 48:17-19. Manasseh was the eldest, yet Ephraim was declared the "firstborn" in Jeremiah 31:9, “I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is My first-born." Ephraim was named "firstborn" and received the blessing of the firstborn because he was greater, not because he was literally "born first".

But the most significant passage is to be found at Psalm 89:27: “I shall also make him [Jesus Christ] My first-born, the highest of the kings of the earth.” This highly Messianic passage paves the way for a solid understanding of the use of prototokos in the New Testament, especially in relation to the Messiah, Jesus. In this passage, a clear emphasis on the pre-eminence and superiority of the coming Messiah is emphasized. Thus, when we read "firstborn" in reference to Jesus Christ in the New Testament to mean "pre-eminent" instead of the literal "born first", we do so not without precedent.

Therefore, Robbie, it is folly to make the case that the term prototokos (firstborn) in Col. 1:15 is necessarily a declaration of Christ's creaturehood. The scholarship is simply not on your side.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 22:32
    You have affirmed that a belief in the Triune God is the enfluence of ancient pagan religion. Now I do not have the inclination or the time to go off and study a bunch of pre-Christian religions.

But since you seemed to know all about it and that we "borrowed" our concept of the Triune God from those sources, I ask you:

Please show me where there is ...[text shortened]... e Babylonians? Among the Greeks? Among the Persians?

Show me an equivalent teaching.
    oh Jaywill you still wanna fight after i have tried to be so nice to you, oh well, so be it, its the spirituality forum after all, ok give me some time to gather my thoughts and we can put the nail in the trinity coffin once and for all time!, i know where i can find it in Greek literature, as for the Babylonians and Egyptians, i will need time.

actually i was reading a web page the other day on some other site and they had many references and pictures taken from Alexander Hyslops book. I could not check them for sure, for i still cannot find my own copy. but so be it, its yours, ummm, i mean the trinity's funeral! 🙂
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 22:3710 edits
    with reference to the original poster of the thread, the illustrious and learned epiphinehas

i have already given the references and the reasons, they were good, clear sound and reasonable, and i see no reason from this post of yours to conclude any differently. Its simply a matter of logic, Christ could not have been God, for God cannot die, Christ died, did he not? Christ could not have been God, for John 1:18 states that no man has seen God at any time, when zillions of people saw Jesus Christ, did they not? so who am i to believe, you on the basis of the interpretation of the meaning of a word, or the clear and unambiguous statements found in Bible? and i have asked you before, quote a decent translation which instead of removing the divine name, actually has it restored , please the tetragrammaton is clearly discernible from many manuscripts and does not, nor ever has meant lord!

and actually epiphinehas as i have already pointed out, the term first-born prior to Col 1:15 , is used upwards of thirty times, and in each instance it refers to the first, “The firstborn of Israel” is one of the sons of Israel; “the firstborn of Pharaoh” is one of Pharaoh’s family; “the firstborn of beast” are themselves animals. What, then, causes you to ascribe a different meaning to it at Colossians 1:15? Is it Bible usage or is it a belief to which you already hold and for which they seek some proof to substantiate? mmmm

the edits were for the italics from the previous post which i could not get rid of!
  12. Illinois
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 22:49
    i have already given the references and the reasons, they were good, clear sound and reasonable, and i see no reason from this post of yours to conclude any differently. Its simply a matter of logic, Christ could not have been God, for God cannot die, Christ died, did he not? Christ could not have been God, for John 1:18 states that no man has seen ...[text shortened]... tragrammaton is clearly discernible from many manuscripts and does not, nor ever has meant lord!
    ]i have already given the references and the reasons, they were good, clear sound and reasonable, and i see no reason from this post of yours to conclude any differently.

Do you admit that prototokos (firstborn) need not necessarily refer exclusively to temporal ascendancy?
  13. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 23:071 edit
    oh Jaywill you still wanna fight after i have tried to be so nice to you, oh well, so be it, its the spirituality forum after all, ok give me some time to gather my thoughts and we can put the nail in the trinity coffin once and for all time!, i know where i can find it in Greek literature, as for the Babylonians and Egyptians, i will need time.
    ...[text shortened]... still cannot find my own copy. but so be it, its yours, ummm, i mean the trinity's funeral! 🙂
    Thanks Epi. Great post on Jeremiah.

Robbie,

======================
    ===============================

They tried to put the nail in the Trinity coffin and He rose from the dead.

When you find your example I want to see very close equivalence. The father and the son come to a lover of the son as a Divine We to make an abode with such a lover.

Don't come back and tell me about some ashes of some bull or the chopping up of some god and the hiding his phalas.

========================
    actually i was reading a web page the other day on some other site and they had many references and pictures taken from Alexander Hyslops book. I could not check them for sure, for i still cannot find my own copy. but so be it, its yours, ummm, i mean the trinity's funeral!
    ==============================

Hislop exposed a lot of things. I do not remember him discussing Babylonian origins of the Three- One God.

Don't recall it. I'm opened to someone refering me to the chapter.

Let me say this. I am not a Tritheist (three Gods). And on the other extreme I am not a Modalist.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 23:08
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    [b]]i have already given the references and the reasons, they were good, clear sound and reasonable, and i see no reason from this post of yours to conclude any differently.

Do you admit that prototokos (firstborn) need not necessarily refer exclusively to temporal ascendancy?[/b]
    see above for a very clear indication of what i think of the BIBLICAL use of the term and why you seek to establish a different meaning for it.
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Jun '09 23:12
    ===========================
    For another example of this, consider Ephraim and Manasseh in Genesis 48:17-19. Manasseh was the eldest, yet Ephraim was declared the "firstborn" in Jeremiah 31:9, “I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is My first-born." Ephraim was named "firstborn" and received the blessing of the firstborn because he was greater, not because he was literally "born first".
    ======================================

Bears repeating.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree