1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '10 21:54
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Whenever our friend Galve understands nothing, he tends to answer with a dumpload of quotes from the bible, as this would explain everything.
    From what I can tell, what he actually responds with are texts copied and pasted explaning JW doctrine from JW sources. Doctrine that cites numerous verses taken out of context from disparate biblical passages in order to prop itself up. To call them "quotes from the bible" is a misnomer.

You give G75 too much credit.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    06 Aug '10 21:58
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    From what I can tell, what he actually responds with are texts copied and pasted explaning JW doctrine from JW sources. Doctrine that cites numerous verses taken out of context from disparate biblical passages in order to prop itself up. To call them "quotes from the bible" is a misnomer.

You give G75 too much credit.
    Sorry. 😞
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Aug '10 22:22
    Sorry. 😞
    lol.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    06 Aug '10 22:491 edit
    I don't attack, I just observe.

The topic on this thread is to show that one part of the bible in particular is big time false.
    (How many different type of fibres are there in your clothes,by the way? Lev 19:19)
    When you realize this, then you have learnt something.

Can you answer this posting without give me a dumpload of pasted&copied text from some anknown source that you haven't read yourself?
    Nope..Sorry but they refer to the Bible and that's where the truth is at...
    You guys are just jealous because you don't have the resources I have to respond with.
  5. weedhopper
    Moves
    06 Aug '10 23:14
    Please--I implore all of you, atheist, agnostic, Christian, Muslim, whatever...do NOT lump the cults (Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc.) with mainline Christianity. When you thing "Christian", stick with the biggies: Catholics, Methodists, Baptists, Presbyterians, Lutherans,... and you'll at least get a modicum of consistency.
  6. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    06 Aug '10 23:20
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    Please--I implore all of you, atheist, agnostic, Christian, Muslim, whatever...do NOT lump the cults (Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, etc.) with mainline Christianity. When you thing "Christian", stick with the biggies: Catholics, Methodists, Baptists, Presbyterians, Lutherans,... and you'll at least get a modicum of consistency.
    Can you demosntrate that consistency is the salient criterion?
  7. Playing with matches
    Moves
    06 Aug '10 23:31
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    How cool an overall design would that be... single gender, self fertilization, asexual reproduction. We could all simply become some version of walking/talking bacteria, virus, yeast, low level plants, wasps, water fleas or handsome jellyfish. Hey, even cooler yet how about a planet full of randy guy seahorses getting pregnant and giving birth in the briny deep.

Don't give yourself to much credit.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '10 00:011 edit
    From what I can tell, there isn't much consistency with the "biggies" either. For that matter, there seems to be quite a disparity even between the various Lutheran factions.

Are the Freakys, GBs and Whodeys amongst the "biggies"?
  9. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    07 Aug '10 03:02
    The only thing consistent is the inconsistency.
  10. Joined
    03 Jul '10
    Moves
    07 Aug '10 03:43
    Yes, Christians SHOULD follow the teachings of Jesus, but on many things they choose to follow the teachings of others. Christians who are against homosexuals and homosexuality do NOT do so because of the teachings of Jesus.
    Not quite sure what you are trying to say here. Jesus Christ's teachings revolve mainly around love and forgiveness. Are there people out there who call themselves Christian and do not follow Jesus Christ? I would agree with you if that was what you were getting at.
  11. Joined
    03 Jul '10
    Moves
    07 Aug '10 03:51
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So would you agree that a Christian who uses Leviticus to justify homophobia, is committing an error? I realize that the person in the OP was a Jew not a Christian.

Do you believe the OT laws were at any time reasonable? Did they come from a different God? Why should you not follow them?
    Well - it's not something I would do - being a Christian myself. I tend to rely more on the teachings of Jesus Christ. I believe the OT laws were just that...Old laws. Christians get their name from Jesus Christ who was in the NT. Jesus Christ himself over wrote the Old laws (Law of Moses/Mosaic Law) when he gave the Sermon on the mount in the NT.

As far as coming from a different God, I believe that Jesus Christ is God's son.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '10 04:041 edit
    Originally posted by gtbiking4life
    Not quite sure what you are trying to say here. Jesus Christ's teachings revolve mainly around love and forgiveness. Are there people out there who call themselves Christian and do not follow Jesus Christ? I would agree with you if that was what you were getting at.
    Surely you are aware that there are Christians who believe homosexuality is a sin. And that there are Christians who support ostracizing homosexuals from their church (especially if they are not celibate).

Jesus did not teach either of these things. So these Christians are following the teachings of others - not Jesus.
  13. Joined
    03 Jul '10
    Moves
    07 Aug '10 04:13
    Surely you are aware that there are Christians who believe homosexuality is a sin. And that there are Christians who support ostracizing homosexuals from their church (especially if they are not celibate).

Jesus did not teach either of these things. So these Christians are following the teachings of others - not Jesus.
    Sure I'm aware of that and that's their choice - I choose to act differently though. I know someone who is homosexual and treat them the same as I treat anyone else - with love and respect.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    07 Aug '10 04:16
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate

Don't give yourself to much credit.
    Facile prohibition noted.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 Aug '10 14:53
    "Cult" just means "less popular religious clique". It's an excuse for the bigger groups to pick on the small, even though the big ones hold beliefs that are equally nutty.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree