1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Mar '20 18:13
    Leviticus instructed the Jews to execute homosexuals. Was this instruction evil?

There, I threw a bone.

Interesting to see is Suzi will give a direct answer to this question. She has not done so in the past, so I am not holding my breath now.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Mar '20 20:09
    @eladar said
    Leviticus instructed the Jews to execute homosexuals. Was this instruction evil?
    Were all of the Old Testament instructions good or evil?
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Mar '20 20:46
    @divegeester said
    Were all of the Old Testament instructions good or evil?
    Start a thread on a tangent if you wish. This one is specifically about Leviticus, the homosexual execution issue was an example.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Mar '20 20:59
    @eladar said
    Start a thread on a tangent if you wish. This one is specifically about Leviticus, the homosexual execution issue was an example.
    In order to comment on your “example” it is worth considering the entire sample from Leviticus don’t you agree?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Mar '20 21:33
    @divegeester said
    In order to comment on your “example” it is worth considering the entire sample from Leviticus don’t you agree?
    No, I do not agree.
  6. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 00:17
    @eladar said

There, I threw a bone.

Interesting to see is Suzi will give a direct answer to this question. She has not done so in the past, so I am not holding my breath now.
    yes
  7. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 00:51
    @eladar said

There, I threw a bone.

Chapter, verse, and version, please?
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 01:00
    @hakima said
    Chapter, verse, and version, please?
    If you do not believe it is there, that is good for you.
  9. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 01:15
    @eladar said
    If you do not believe it is there, that is good for you.
    Are you unwilling to provide it or just too lazy?
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 01:19
    @hakima said
    Are you unwilling to provide it or just too lazy?
    Ok since you ask for a quote

Leviticus 20:13 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 01:441 edit
    @eladar said
    "Evil" is a matter for subjective perception and opinions. By contrast, it is an objective fact that Leviticus 20:13 was part of ancient Hebrew law and that there were similar laws in other cultures.

It was not "evil" to execute homosexuals according to the prevailing norms and values of the people who wrote down the 'rule'. And they framed it as somehow being an instruction from a supernatural being, for whatever that's worth. If I had been one of them, I most likely would have concurred.

But, from my perspective, horrific religious mumbo jumbo like Leviticus simply reflects the relative savagery of the times in which it was written. So, not being an admirer of ancient Hebrews - or the 'sex laws' of any number of cultures or religious traditions back then in such dark times - and not being sentimental or ideologically bound by the ancient Hebrews' partially civilized laws, from my perspective the instruction was "evil".

However, I think we can all agree that NOT executing homosexuals is a sign of moral evolution and progress and that executing homosexuals nowadays would be rightfully seen as being "evil". Right?

People can think of it as a "sin" if they want. I can't see any objection to that: the notion of "sin" is just a moral opinion rooted in superstition, after all.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 01:48
    @fmf said
    "Evil" is a matter for subjective perception. It was not "evil" to execute homosexuals according to the prevailing norms and values of the people who wrote down the 'rule'. And they framed it as somehow being an instruction from a supernatural being, for whatever that's worth. If I had been one of them, I most likely would have concurred.

But, from my perspective, horrific re ...[text shortened]... nd progress and that executing homosexuals nowadays would be rightfully seen as being "evil". Right?
    So you are saying it was not evil then, so if you were alive then you would believe it is fine.

But now you are evolved so believe it is evil today.

Is that right?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 02:15
    @eladar said
    So you are saying it was not evil then, so if you were alive then you would believe it is fine.
    I am saying that I think it is "evil" but that it was just a reflection of the prevailing "evil" of that time. If I had been 30-year-old German in 1942, I might have thought that exterminating the Jews was a good idea and not "evil".
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 02:17
    @eladar said
    But now you are evolved so believe it is evil today.
    Indeed. I think human beings have evolved morally, yes, with regard to facets of the human condition like homosexuality. There has been moral progress in many ways. The recognization and observance of human rights for example.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Mar '20 02:182 edits
    @eladar said
    Is that right?
    While I understand that you think of homosexuality as a "sin" I think we can agree that executing homosexuals nowadays would rightfully be seen as being "evil" by both you and me, correct?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree