Main Problem with religion.

Main Problem with religion.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m

Moves
28 Jul 05

Originally posted by howardgee
“We don’t make a distinction between civilians and non-civilians, innocents and non-innocents, only between Muslims and unbelievers. And the life of an unbeliever has no value, no sanctity.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005310429,00.html

This is indicative of the deeply held belief of ALL religious people. They believe they are somehow bet ...[text shortened]... hat God does not exist, then there is no chance that everybody will see everyone else as equals.
“We don’t make a distinction between civilians and non-civilians, innocents and non-innocents, only between Muslims and unbelievers. And the life of an unbeliever has no value, no sanctity.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005310429,00.html

This is indicative of the deeply held belief of ALL religious people. They believe they are somehow better than non-followers of their religion.

Jews call non-jews "heathens".
Christians say non-believers go to hell.
Even Buddhists do not criticise other religions, since to do so is to give them credibility. (implying that other believers are fools)

Until people realise that God does not exist, then there is no chance that everybody will see everyone else as equals.

saying that i need to realise that God does not exist is like telling me that i need to realise that my parents don't exist.

i do admit that at times i wonder whether he's around and i have doubts, i cannot bring myself to the point of questioning his existence. in the same way that i am because my parents did the deed and had a child, i know that i am who i am today because he exists...

i don't deny that people cause divisions based on beliefs etc, but the fact is that that is not what God does. yes, he recognises our differences and wants us to connect with him, but he will do the changing... neither telling people that they're wrong nor trying to believe that God exists will solve this problem. unfortunately, our natural state is that we will find ways to cause division - whther economic, racial or faith-based... WE GOTTA GET OVER OURSELVES!

h

Cosmos

Moves
29 Jul 05

Maverick, you clearly are very confused. Small wonder you are religious!

You say that "i cannot bring myself to the point of questioning his (God's) existence",
but already you have stated that "at times i wonder whether he's (God's) around and i have doubts".
This is clearly contradictory. Having doubts about something's existence is the same as questioning it's existence.

You start off by claiming "saying that i need to realise that God does not exist is like telling me that i need to realise that my parents don't exist".
However, it must be pretty clear to you that your parents exist (I assume they are still alive), whilst you have already admitting that you " wonder whether he's (God's) around ". Thus the two are not the same!

finally, you are nearly right when you say that "WE GOTTA GET OVER OURSELVES".
What we have to get over, is our ridiculous belief in God, and the incredibly arrogant belief that God created us humans in his image!

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
31 Jul 05

Maverick, you clearly are very confused. Small wonder you are religious!

You say that "i cannot bring myself to the point of questioning his (God's) existence",
but already you have stated that "at times i wonder whether he's (God's) around and i have doubts".
This is clearly contradictory. Having doubts about something's existence is the sam ...[text shortened]... ous belief in God, and the incredibly arrogant belief that God created us humans in his image!
I guess we differ over what is ridiculous.
Kelly

k
Chess Student

Richmond, VA

Moves
04 Aug 05

... finally, you are nearly right when you say that "WE GOTTA GET OVER OURSELVES".
What we have to get over, is our ridiculous belief in God, and the incredibly arrogant belief that God created us humans in his image!
It is also right to say "We have to get over our ridiculous unbelief in God, and the incredible stupid belief that we came from and are in the image of monkey!"

Two sides to every coin. One has to be right.
What are the consequences if one chooses wrong?

Either way, faith in something unseen is, nevertheless, exercised.
If you believe in one or the other side of the discussion, then you exercercise your faith.

To those that do not believe in a supreme Creator and designer of the entire universe and all that we see, answer this question:

Where did atoms come from?

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
04 Aug 05

Originally posted by krisvictor
It is also right to say "We have to get over our ridiculous [b]unbelief in God, and the incredible stupid belief that we came from and are in the image of monkey!"

If you believe in ...[text shortened]... of the entire universe and all that we see, answer this question:

Where did atoms come from?[/b]
Where did God come from?

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
04 Aug 05

Really? What if it lands on its' edge? I'm sorry, but the coin analogy sucks. There's more than two ways to skin this cat.

h

Cosmos

Moves
04 Aug 05

It is also right to say "We have to get over our ridiculous [b]unbelief in God, and the incredible stupid belief that we came from and are in the image of monkey!"

If you believe in ...[text shortened]... of the entire universe and all that we see, answer this question:

Where did atoms come from?[/b]
I agree that it is an incredibly stupid belief that we came from and are in the image of monkey!

no-one believes this!

The theory of evolution teaches that human beings evolved along side the apes.
Please try to keep up with scientific advances, and spend less time reading the Book of Lies. (Bible)

L

Moves
04 Aug 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
Where did God come from?
touche.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
04 Aug 05

Where did God come from?
Great goosestep. In rugby that would have been a certain try.

Moves
04 Aug 05
2 edits

Where did God come from?
I believe that in the begining was God. You believe that in the beginnig were atoms. Neither of us have seen either.

So don't tell me your belief is not religious in nature.

L

Moves
04 Aug 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
I believe that in the begining was God. You believe that in the beginnig were atoms. Neither of us have seen either.

You believe that in the beginnig were atoms.

is this aimed specifically at froggie? because this is not accurate in a general sense. what was present before the big bang is not clear -- but it probably was NOT atoms as they are known and tabulated today.

Neither of us have seen either.

lol. you've seen plenty of atoms dj2. if you're talking about seeing individual atoms, then just go look in a microscope. modern tranmission electron microscopy will blow your mind, for example. yes, the world really is composed of atoms.

my belief is not religious in nature. neither is the sloppy belief you presented above about 'atoms in the beginning'.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
04 Aug 05
1 edit

Originally posted by LemonJello
my belief is not religious in nature
Then what do you believe LemonJello? The mere fact that you are believing in something does make it religius in nature. 🙄

L

Moves
04 Aug 05

Originally posted by Halitose
Then what do you believe LemonJello? The mere fact that you are believing in something does make it religius in nature. 🙄
the tag team of dj2 and halitosis strikes again.

if, as a weak atheist, i merely observe and point out that the theist has utterly failed in his case for god, how is that stance 'religious in nature'? if i believe in the big bang and ensuing evolution, how is that belief 'religious in nature'?

i think you are saying these stances must be 'religious' because they go against beliefs which are religious. well, suppose i know a guy who believes in a god who, among other things, produces the optical and sensory illusion that you have hands. then i guess it would follow, by your own standards, that your belief that you do in fact have hands is a 'religious' belief. there's clearly something wrong here.

The mere fact that you are believing in something does make it religius in nature.

that's ridiculous, from which i infer that your definition of 'religious' is likewise ridiculous.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
04 Aug 05

Originally posted by dj2becker

You aint got a clue as to what I believe, nor could you understand it if I told you.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
04 Aug 05

Originally posted by LemonJello
[b]You believe that in the beginnig were atoms.

is this aimed specifically at froggie? because this is not accurate in a general sense. what was present before the big bang is not clear -- but it probably was NOT atoms as they are known and tabulated today.

Neither of us have seen either.

lol. you've seen plenty of atoms dj2. if y ...[text shortened]... s in nature. neither is the sloppy belief you presented above about 'atoms in the beginning'.[/b]
I kinda like the cyclic U. kind of ekpyrotics big brother. only in galilean space time, if it's doable.