1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Jun '13 23:591 edit
    inspired by suziannes super girl picture and my preconceptions about d.c. readers. i have a question, which is probably well wide of the forums demographic.....we'll see by how quickly it falls of page one!!!

the question ----

i reckon christians are more likely to be drawn to d.c. comics and atheist are more likely to be marvel. is there any truth to this? do we have any comic book readers/exreaders?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 00:36
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    inspired by suziannes super girl picture and my preconceptions about d.c. readers. i have a question, which is probably well wide of the forums demographic.....we'll see by how quickly it falls of page one!!!

the question ----

i reckon christians are more likely to be drawn to d.c. comics and atheist are more likely to be marvel. is there any truth to this? do we have any comic book readers/exreaders?
    I hate superhero comics and read mostly independents. Robert Crumb and stuff like that.

And I'm an atheist.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 01:18
    I've thought it would be interesting to do a comic where there are superheroes who turn out to be frauds. A scenario where powerful corporations sponsor various "superheroes" to battle evil villains who are likewise (but secretly) sponsored by the same set of corporations. The corporate objective would be to create an atmosphere of fear and helplessness on the part of the populace and a reliance on corporate sponsored superheroes for their continued safety. These superheroes (as we eventually learn) are really just special effects creations of corporate owned media teams and their feats of daring do are all fictitious in nature.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 01:23
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I've thought it would be interesting to do a comic where there are superheroes who turn out to be frauds. A scenario where powerful corporations sponsor various "superheroes" to battle evil villains who are likewise (but secretly) sponsored by the same set of corporations. The corporate objective would be to create an atmosphere of fear and helplessness on ...[text shortened]... ons of corporate owned media teams and their feats of daring do are all fictitious in nature.
    And this would be fiction???
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 01:242 edits

the question ----

I was always more a fan of the Stan Lee Marvel universe than the DC universe.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Marvel is just cooler than DC.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 01:27

the question ----

You do think we're playing, don't you ?
  7. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 01:42
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    well get yourself a better avatar then!! super-girl sucks.

the idea was.....(ive had a few beers so bare with me)....d.c. dont really ever feel the need to explain the science behind super powers. superman is just super because he's from another planet its never really explained. the same can be said about most d.c. characters. marvel on the other hand tries to be a bit grittier and bases it heroes in a more banal 'real' world and tries (often weakly) to explain their powers in a scientific way. rather than being extra-human like d.c. they are flawed humans with powers in marvel. i may be rambling, it kinda makes sense to me.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 01:43
    I hate superhero comics and read mostly independents. Robert Crumb and stuff like that.

And I'm an atheist.
    Okay, so you were a fan of the Watchmen before being a Watchmen fan was cool. I get it.
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 01:43
    Originally posted by sonship
    You [b]do think we're playing, don't you ?[/b]
    i really, honestly, dont know what you mean. could you expand (never thought i would say that to you jaywill)?
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 01:45
    i really, honestly, dont know what you mean. could you expand (never thought i would say that to you jaywill)?
    sonship = jaywill?
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 01:46
    Okay, so you were a fan of the Watchmen before being a Watchmen fan was cool. I get it.
    its still a superhero comic. he's gotta like maus?
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 01:46
    sonship = jaywill?
    dont set him off on another identity rant!!!!!
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 01:48

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Marvel is just cooler than DC.
    exactly and atheist are cooler than theists. you are on the wrong team dude.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 01:55
    well get yourself a better avatar then!! super-girl sucks.

the idea was.....(ive had a few beers so bare with me)....d.c. dont really ever feel the need to explain the science behind super powers. superman is just super because he's from another planet its never really explained. the same can be said about most d.c. characters. marvel on the other ...[text shortened]... they are flawed humans with powers in marvel. i may be rambling, it kinda makes sense to me.
    Well, before NCSoft closed the servers down, I played an MMO called City of Heroes. The idea was you made a character (a superhero or a super villian) and went around doing 'missions' for 'contacts' and gaining 'reputation'. Their costume creator was the best, you could design almost any type of character you could think up, with a cool costume to match. You made up your own backstory and it was all up to you, you could give your character whatever origin story you wanted. It was like the current Champions Online, but City of Heroes was way better. They pulled it long before it even started going downhill in quality. My main hero was a character I called Ginsunami Neko, who wielded dual longknives and was a force of Nature in Cat form (she sported cat ears and a long cat tail as part of her costume), so 'Ginsu' + 'Tsunami' + 'Neko' = 'Ginsunami Neko'. It was so fun to play her vanquishing evil. 🙂
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 01:57
    exactly and atheist are cooler than theists. you are on the wrong team dude.
    That's what you say. 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree