1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 15:401 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    I liked Plastic Man but don't know if he's marvel or dc (or ac for that matter).
    Do you mean Reed Richards, aka Mr. Fantastic, of the Fantastic Four?

If so, that's another Stan Lee creation, so it's Marvel.

Edit: There also was indeed a character called Plastic Man, created by Jack Cole of Quality Comics, which was later acquired by DC.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 15:41
    Originally posted by rwingett
    In fact, I've altered by manuscript to include 'Suzianne' as a major character. You'll be renouncing god in issue #6.
    Nooooooooooooooooo!!
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 22:551 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    there does seem to be a certain amount of objectification of women in marvel and d.c. they all have impossible figures that send out the wrong message to young readers. at least most of the women were strong and independent.

not sure i agree about the xenophobia. one of marvels main tropes mutants v non mutants was one big metaphor for racism and sometimes homosexuality. especially in the xmen.
    and how are mutants treated in marvel? with contempt, fear. they are not accepted. it isn't even attempted to understand them.

"at least most of the women were strong and independent. "
    heh, you should re read the old fantastic four comics. the invisible girl is the most exaggerated example of sexism ever seen. incapable of thinking or acting for herself, always getting into trouble, forgetful, insecure, downright stupid, vain. she is the image of how the woman was seen in the 50's and 60's

xenophobia: the martian manhunter assumes a more human shape. even when he is alone, or among his so called friends, he is still in that cape and human-ish form, rather than his more martian look, all to make the others more comfortable. kinda like a black man would paint his face white to make the whiteys more comfortable 😀
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 22:59
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Really, DCUO is free? Yeah, well, CoH went free about a year before they pulled the plug, too.

How's that 'mentor' system? Sounds kind of confining, locking you into a playstyle or something. Still, I might take a look at it. Too bad Marvel never released their own MMO, unless CO is affiliated with them, I dunno.
    neah, the mentor thingie only says what mentor set you get at the end of the campaign and where you start in the beginning of the game. you are free to move around. i made a villain that uses nature magic, like poison ivy, and had joker (a tech villain) as a mentor because he is hilarious. now i am playing a hero and got missions from wonder woman and superman. there are so many missions that i completely ignored gotham and batman missions.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 23:04
    WoW is okay, unless you have an addictive personality, then forget it. I had a few issues a couple of years in, but when I feel like I'm getting too into it, I just make a point of going out more.

Never heard of Secret World, I'm guessing it's one of the millions of Asian MMOs out there, like Perfect World. I played the first GuildWars, but after NCSoft blew up CoH, I'm not keen on giving them any more money.
    secret world is made by the people that made age of conan. the premise is that all the legends, all the supernatural monsters are real, and the secret societies: templars, illuminati and dragon are keeping it secret from the real world.

all the quests are given through wonderfully done cinematics, there are investigation missions where you actually have to google clues to the solution. i had one quest where i had to translate hebrew 😀 (it was about the plagues of moses). another where i had to research what cifres julius caesar used and then decipher something in game. it is very nice, and like i said, only an initial purchase required, no monthly fee. (unless you wanna buy some clothes for your character)
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 23:05
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    and how are mutants treated in marvel? with contempt, fear. they are not accepted. it isn't even attempted to understand them.

"at least most of the women were strong and independent. "
    heh, you should re read the old fantastic four comics. the invisible girl is the most exaggerated example of sexism ever seen. incapable of thinking, acting for hers ...[text shortened]... kinda like a black man would paint his face white to make the whiteys more comfortable 😀
    yes the mutants are treated with contempt and fear, but this is to highlight the prejudice they suffer. they are after all the heroes, they are in the right. so this is painting the people who are prejudiced in a bad light rather than the mutants. many of the young mutant stories in the x-men dealt very sensitively with teen issues of growing up feeling different.

my comic period was 1980-90 the women during that time were strong characters rather than victims. im not sure what the current state of affairs is. i would guess knowing the popularity of comics with intelligent 'geek' girls, that marvel have to make their women strong.

i dont know marian manhunter, but the comics i read head all sorts of weird on wonderful creatures. maybe the marvel of the 70's didnt have the same message as the marvel of the 80's
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 07:47
    neah, the mentor thingie only says what mentor set you get at the end of the campaign and where you start in the beginning of the game. you are free to move around. i made a villain that uses nature magic, like poison ivy, and had joker (a tech villain) as a mentor because he is hilarious. now i am playing a hero and got missions from wonder woman and superman. there are so many missions that i completely ignored gotham and batman missions.
    Sounds reasonable, I will go take a look and see for myself. Thanks for the clarification.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 07:50
    secret world is made by the people that made age of conan. the premise is that all the legends, all the supernatural monsters are real, and the secret societies: templars, illuminati and dragon are keeping it secret from the real world.

all the quests are given through wonderfully done cinematics, there are investigation missions where you actually have ...[text shortened]... nitial purchase required, no monthly fee. (unless you wanna buy some clothes for your character)
    Is it set in the modern world, or in some kind of old technology world (swords and sorcery, etc, vs. cities with skyscrapers)?

Sounds like an MMO for intellectuals. 🙂 I'll take a look for this too.
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 08:01
    Is it set in the modern world, or in some kind of old technology world (swords and sorcery, etc, vs. cities with skyscrapers)?

Sounds like an MMO for intellectuals. 🙂 I'll take a look for this too.
    the time is current, and you get all kinds of references to pop culture, recent or non recent historic events, conspiracies theories, etc.

i recommend it
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 16:31

Edit: There also was indeed a character called Plastic Man, created by Jack Cole of Quality Comics, which was later acquired by DC.
    Here he is. Nightwing seems unimpressed.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/149/a/d/plastic_man_and_nightwing_by_icantthinkofaname_09-d3hk8l9.jpg
  11. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 19:18
    Originally posted by JS357
    Here he is. Nightwing seems unimpressed.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/149/a/d/plastic_man_and_nightwing_by_icantthinkofaname_09-d3hk8l9.jpg
    She's a hot babe.

Wouldn't mind taking her mask off.
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 22:16
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    inspired by suziannes super girl picture and my preconceptions about d.c. readers. i have a question, which is probably well wide of the forums demographic.....we'll see by how quickly it falls of page one!!!

the question ----

i reckon christians are more likely to be drawn to d.c. comics and atheist are more likely to be marvel. is there any truth to this? do we have any comic book readers/exreaders?
    Apart from Batman, I don't really like D.C. I like Marvel, though, and I don't believe in religion.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 22:23

So far, there's been Plastic Man, Elastic Man, Rubber Man, Stretch Armstrong, Reed Richards and Luffy: all with the same ability. There should be a comic where they all have a Battle Royale.
  14. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 22:24
    I was always more a fan of the Stan Lee Marvel universe than the DC universe.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Marvel is just cooler than DC.
    Always agreed.
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Jun '13 07:54
    revised hypothesis - many of marvels heroes are genetic mutants, leaps in human evolution. my new angle, young earthers are all anti-marvel due to its support of evolution (im reaching for a connection).

did anybody read the beyonder stories that started in the secret wars?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree