1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 02:21
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    That's what you say. 😛
    pah!!! says the city of heroes girl (paragon city on your profile gave away your alter nerdy ego).

apparently the closing of coh was deeply distressing to members. have you found solace on any other mmgpodrhgd (im not sure of the lettering but you know what i mean). i tried second life for a while but never got into it. i do like a bit of skyrim so maybe i should try warcraft, but if its anything like second life, it will just be full of dudes trying to cyber hump anything that moves...........or doesnt move.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 06:457 edits
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I hate superhero comics and read mostly independents. Robert Crumb and stuff like that.

And I'm an atheist.
    Don't know if anyone here has heard of a 70's comic called The First Kingdom but I waited for each new issue. It was all about Olympian type gods and they were spacemen and very advanced technologically and such and seemed to have been about 20 feet tall. The thing I liked about this series was the inclusion of life forms like humans and smaller intelligent animals all living their lives around the 20 foot high gods and little sub stories in each page. It was a great comic and I have found virtually nothing about it in the comic archives and history.

I also liked Dr Atomic and the Fabulous Furry Freak brothers. And almost anything by R Crumb.

Well the internet is great! found a couple of links to First Kingdom:

http://comixjoint.com/firstkingdom.html

And this:

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/17707#.UdPJ49LVAoc

Lots of images of naked ladies and such but look closely and you will see little people going about their business right by the giants.

Jack Katz was a genius.

Larry Todd wrote Dr. Atomic, Seemed to have some subtle references to drugs🙂

http://www.newkadia.com/?Dr_Atomic_Comic-Book-Covers=5343

And the Fabulous Furry Freak brothers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fabulous_Furry_Freak_Brothers
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 07:061 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    inspired by suziannes super girl picture and my preconceptions about d.c. readers. i have a question, which is probably well wide of the forums demographic.....we'll see by how quickly it falls of page one!!!

the question ----

i reckon christians are more likely to be drawn to d.c. comics and atheist are more likely to be marvel. is there any truth to this? do we have any comic book readers/exreaders?
    As a kid I collected Marvel, I owed every Spiderman at one time save the
    1st and 3rd. I had 2 complete sets of X-men because a friend gave me all
    of his. Not to mention several other sets (not complete) of Marvel and
    otherwise, some had 5 cent price tags on them. comics I owned were sold
    for 12 cents a piece new.

I gave them all to one of my little brothers who sold them all for 20 dollars.
    WHAT A MISTAKE! 🙁
    Kelly
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 07:091 edit
    inspired by suziannes super girl picture and my preconceptions about d.c. readers. i have a question, which is probably well wide of the forums demographic.....we'll see by how quickly it falls of page one!!!

the question ----

i reckon christians are more likely to be drawn to d.c. comics and atheist are more likely to be marvel. is there any truth to this? do we have any comic book readers/exreaders?
    otherwise, one had a 5 cent price tag on it.
    The comics I owned were sold for 12 cents a piece new.

WHAT A MISTAKE! 🙁
    Kelly
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 09:40

the question ----

I don't like either although when I was a kid I read lion and thunder comics. I liked Janus stark, Adam eterno, and the spider (except when he became a good guy). I'm Christian now, was agnostic then and atheist in between. Go figure.
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 10:43

the question ----

The sole comic I really love is " Lone Wolf and Cub". You can enjoy it for free at http://www.mangareader.net/lone-wolf-and-cub/1/78
    😵
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 10:52

the question ----

american comics are awful. just awful. both dc and marvel.

sexism, racism, xenophobia and other lovely concepts. bland characters, stupid decisions, logic bending, etc.

that's my opinion. back to the topic at hand, i am unsure how dc characters should appeal to christians. sure, superman can be a jesus clone, a character with immense powers, absolute benevolence, with the good of others in mind in everything he does. but he is mostly the only one and he has flaw(s). justice league can almost be equated to pagan pantheons, greek, norse, roman.

the motive of "savior, messiah" is found also in the marvel comics, though not so obvious.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 10:53
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I've thought it would be interesting to do a comic where there are superheroes who turn out to be frauds. A scenario where powerful corporations sponsor various "superheroes" to battle evil villains who are likewise (but secretly) sponsored by the same set of corporations. The corporate objective would be to create an atmosphere of fear and helplessness on ...[text shortened]... ons of corporate owned media teams and their feats of daring do are all fictitious in nature.
    depressing.
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 10:58
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Well, before NCSoft closed the servers down, I played an MMO called City of Heroes. The idea was you made a character (a superhero or a super villian) and went around doing 'missions' for 'contacts' and gaining 'reputation'. Their costume creator was the best, you could design almost any type of character you could think up, with a cool costume to match. ...[text shortened]... ami' + 'Neko' = 'Ginsunami Neko'. It was so fun to play her vanquishing evil. 🙂
    i am playing dc universe online now. it is free, and so far, it is totally worth the 17 gb they make you download. the premise is that lex luthor kills superman and all the other justice leaguers, and then brainiac comes back. so lex luthor comes back in time to warn the justice leaguers and with a generic plot device, gives superpowers to regular people. now each side, villains and heroes have an army of regular humans turned superpowered and they battle brainiac in their own manner.

made a villain with joker as a mentor. now i have a hero with wonder woman mentoring me.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 11:001 edit
    pah!!! says the city of heroes girl (paragon city on your profile gave away your alter nerdy ego).

apparently the closing of coh was deeply distressing to members. have you found solace on any other mmgpodrhgd (im not sure of the lettering but you know what i mean). i tried second life for a while but never got into it. i do like a bit of skyrim so ...[text shortened]... it will just be full of dudes trying to cyber hump anything that moves...........or doesnt move.
    don't try wow.

it's the devil. take the advice of someone who is 2 years wow sober.

if you're in the mood for some mmo-ing, try secret world or guild wars 2. they are subscription free, just require an initial buy of about 40-ish dollars.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 11:02
    Originally posted by black beetle
    The sole comic I really love is " Lone Wolf and Cub". You can enjoy it for free at http://www.mangareader.net/lone-wolf-and-cub/1/78
    😵
    heh, you too with the manga reader?😀
    i watched bleach the anime and now that that is over, i am reading the following chapters (manga exclusive).
  12. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 11:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Don't know if anyone here has heard of a 70's comic called The First Kingdom but I waited for each new issue. It was all about Olympian type gods and they were spacemen and very advanced technologically and such and seemed to have been about 20 feet tall. The thing I liked about this series was the inclusion of life forms like humans and smaller intelligent ...[text shortened]... bulous Furry Freak brothers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fabulous_Furry_Freak_Brothers
    looking at 'first kingdom' i think i can see where dan simmons got his inspiration for his illium and olympos novels.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 11:30
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    otherwise, some had 5 cent price tags on them. comics I owned were sold
    for 12 cents a piece new.

WHAT A MISTAKE! 🙁
    Kelly
    very cool kelly, spidey and the x-men were also my favorites. looks like my theist=dc and athiest=marvel, is the worst formulated theory since dasa, johhny and rj got together and wrote their 5-step plan to world peace.
  14. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 11:39
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    american comics are awful. just awful. both dc and marvel.

sexism, racism, xenophobia and other lovely concepts. bland characters, stupid decisions, logic bending, etc.

that's my opinion. back to the topic at hand, i am unsure how dc characters should appeal to christians. sure, superman can be a jesus clone, a character with immense powers, ab ...[text shortened]...

the motive of "savior, messiah" is found also in the marvel comics, though not so obvious.
    there does seem to be a certain amount of objectification of women in marvel and d.c. they all have impossible figures that send out the wrong message to young readers. at least most of the women were strong and independent.

not sure i agree about the xenophobia. one of marvels main tropes mutants v non mutants was one big metaphor for racism and sometimes homosexuality. especially in the xmen.
  15. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Jun '13 11:44
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    don't try wow.

it's the devil. take the advice of someone who is 2 years wow sober.

if you're in the mood for some mmo-ing, try secret world or guild wars 2. they are subscription free, just require an initial buy of about 40-ish dollars.
    i reckon my current laptop would roll over and die if i tried any mmo-ing at the moment. it starts crying and begs for mercy just playing a movie in hd. currently using an xbox for gaming, it freaks me out playing fantasy games with a million exciting possibilities yet i always find myself getting a mundane job like being a woodcutter or barman (no offence to woodcutters and barmen)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree