1. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 21:201 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Still missing the obvious metaphores...

Or do you think that it is possible to read the bible as I want? Take it word by word where I want, and symbolically where I want? Is it always in the eye of the beholder?

Then I understand why so few christians agree to eachother, and so many funny cults arises from time to time. Christianity isn't one religion, it's a whole bunch of them, mutually different, even in important aspects.
    actually, as you are aware Fabian, a star can mean many things, for example we have chess stars, Magnus Carlsen for example, or we may think of stars as being luminaries, like our sun for example. The reference in the prophecy itself may be about celestial phenomena, but it may not be, i am just wondering why you assumed it was the former.
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 21:47
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i wont call you a cynic Noobster, but as you are aware the prophecy speaks for itself, otherwise how do you account for the escalation in violence, the escalation in famine and the preponderance of earthquakes? just another cosmic coincidence?
    What escalation in violence and famine?

The preponderance of earthquakes maybe has something to do with tectonic plates.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 22:24
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    What escalation in violence and famine?

The preponderance of earthquakes maybe has something to do with tectonic plates.
    earthquakes - http://www.earth.webecs.co.uk/index.htm
    hunger and famine - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8306556.stm
    war - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_cycles
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 23:051 edit
    earthquakes - http://www.earth.webecs.co.uk/index.htm
    hunger and famine - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8306556.stm
    war - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_cycles
    Earthquakes

Robbie,you really have to stop getting garbage from creationist websites.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learning/faq/index.php?categoryID=6&faqID=110

Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant throughout this century and, according to our records, have actually seemed to decrease in recent years.

Famine & Hunger

If you take into account the worlds population has more than doubled since the 1950's, and the population of Africa has grown nearly five times in the same period. It's not hard to understand why there are going to be more hungry people in the world.

War

I looked at the graphs, the frequencies seem to be pretty uniform, only the intensity dramatically changes with WWI and WWII. Which isn't really surprising with the development of weapons technology over the last hundred years.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 23:432 edits
    i never went near any creationist web sights Noobster, i merely googled earthquakes and frequency and found the corroborating evidence fairly easily. No matter how you try to rationalise and explain the data Noobster me ol son, it is evident that the prophecy is being fulfilled in our time.

oh and just a thought, i wouldn't trust the U.S governments data on climate, would you?
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 00:03
    i never went near any creationist web sights Noobster, i merely googled earthquakes and frequency and found the corroborating evidence fairly easily. No matter how you try to rationalise and explain the data Noobster me ol son, it is evident that the prophecy is being fulfilled in our time.

oh and just a thought, i wouldn't trust the U.S governments data on climate, would you?
    Although Jesus is clear that no one will know the day or the hour, and his return will indeed happen “when you do not expect”, he does give us broad pointers, one of these being natural events – like earthquakes.

This was near the bottom of the page, after the so called 'evidence'.

The prophecy maybe being fulfilled viewed through the prism of your dogmatic religious beliefs, to me it's utter garbage.

Don't know if i would trust the US government on climate, but we're talking about earthquakes so it's irrelevant.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 00:332 edits
    Although Jesus is clear that no one will know the day or the hour, and his return will indeed happen “when you do not expect”, he does give us broad pointers, one of these being natural events – like earthquakes.

The prophecy maybe being fulfilled viewed through the prism rust the US government on climate, but we're talking about earthquakes so it's irrelevant.
    i never actually read the page, i just looked at the graph and saw that it was escalating and thought, yup, that will do.

although i do not think that you can so easily dismiss the data, with references like garbage, and its not through the dogma of my religious beliefs, not unless the BBC and the world health organisation are also religiously motivated, or the huge escalation in violence since the turn of the century is a figment of my imagination. oh and does the U.S meteorological society base its data on the events of this century or last, for if it is this century then there data is hardly admissible, considering that its only nine years old.

but a small admission from you ol Noobster is better than nothing at all 😉
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 00:49

The prophecy maybe being fulfilled viewed through the prism ...[text shortened]... rust the US government on climate, but we're talking about earthquakes so it's irrelevant.
    Garbage??? It would seem someone like yourself that "seems" to be intelligent would see the data to be correct no matter your viewpoint of the Bible. Or are you so blinded by hatred of the Bible that you just refuse to acknowledge scientific fact because it supports Bible's prophicies? I think that's the answer...
  9. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 01:262 edits
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Matthew 24:34 clearly states that Jesus tells his listeners that judgment day will come before the generation he is speaking to passes away. He says the sun will stop shining and the stars will fall from the sky and he ( Jesus)will come riding down from the sky in glory. As far as I know, this has not happened and everyone from that generation is long gone. ...[text shortened]... of the bible.

I can hardly wait for the believers to produce a way around this obvious error.
    Often times prophecies have double fulfillments. In A.D. 70 the Roman army destroyed Jerusalem. This destruction was a minor fulfillment of some of the end time judgements that Jesus warned the people about.
  10. Maryland
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 04:09
    Originally posted by gambit3
    Often times prophecies have double fulfillments. In A.D. 70 the Roman army destroyed Jerusalem. This destruction was a minor fulfillment of some of the end time judgements that Jesus warned the people about.
    But non the less, 70AD was not the year of Judgment Day because the world did not end and Jesus did not return so cleary the bible was not correct. Why can't you guys face the facts? (Plus, in those days, lots of cities got sacked. It was not unusual.)
  11. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 06:10
    Originally posted by 667joe
    But non the less, 70AD was not the year of Judgment Day because the world did not end and Jesus did not return so cleary the bible was not correct. Why can't you guys face the facts? (Plus, in those days, lots of cities got sacked. It was not unusual.)
    The chosen people of God rejected the Messiah and the nation of Israel was judged. They failed to be a nation of priest to the world and rejected the Christ. In A.D. 70 the Roman army was the tool God used to punish Israel. The generation of that time saw the Roman army destroy and scatter the nation of Israel. What happened to Israel in A.D. 70 is nothing compared to the end of time judgement of the world. Now Jesus is the lamb of God. Tomorrow jesus will be the Lion of Judah. P.S. Ten thousand legions of the Roman army could not sack Israel without God's permission.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 08:00
    actually, as you are aware Fabian, a star can mean many things, for example we have chess stars, Magnus Carlsen for example, or we may think of stars as being luminaries, like our sun for example. The reference in the prophecy itself may be about celestial phenomena, but it may not be, i am just wondering why you assumed it was the former.
    So when he said star he meant a chess star? You're joking? Yes, you're joking.

That's why Nostradamus and the biblical prophecies are alike in value. When something has happened, it's easy to say that Nostradamus, or Jesus, or whoever, meant just this! Hallelujah!

So when Jesus said a star would fall, he actually meant the crisis in the American banks two thousand years after? A really good explanation! Just that he could mean any crisis, any event, anything at all. Not much of a prophecy, is it?

A prophecy would have some value if it wasn't so damn interpretable. It would be better if some god given prophecy would be something like: "There will be a Earthquake in southern Atlantica with tsunamis that are going to destroy the south Americas coastal cities, and it will happen at february 23 in the year of 2010." Have we heard any prophecies like this? No. Why? Because these kind of prophecies don't work. There are no such prophecies at all.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 08:58
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    So when he said star he meant a chess star? You're joking? Yes, you're joking.

That's why Nostradamus and the biblical prophecies are alike in value. When something has happened, it's easy to say that Nostradamus, or Jesus, or whoever, meant just this! Hallelujah!

So when Jesus said a star would fall, he actually meant the crisis in the American ban ...[text shortened]... . Why? Because these kind of prophecies don't work. There are no such prophecies at all.
    no im trying to help you think, ummm how can we say, outside the box i think is the term. the reference to chess star was simply to illustrate that the word star, may be used metaphorically, for if we take your original reasoning, then applying it to Magnus Carlsen would make him a literal star, is that correct?

as for the reference to earthquakes, famines and war, i think that it is fairly self evident that there is a preponderance, dont you?
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 09:24
    no im trying to help you think, ummm how can we say, outside the box i think is the term. the reference to chess star was simply to illustrate that the word star, may be used metaphorically, for if we take your original reasoning, then applying it to Magnus Carlsen would make him a literal star, is that correct?

as for the reference to earthquakes ...[text shortened]... amines and war, i think that it is fairly self evident that there is a preponderance, dont you?
    Yes, I knew you were joking. Didn't I say so?

Falling stars can mean a lot of things. If I tell you that a star will fall the next year, that's my prophecy, how many things can happen that fulfill my prophecy do you think?

As for the reference to earthquakes, famines and war - I don't think that's very self evidence if you assume this can be labelled prophecies. To think so one must be christian, don't you think?

Can we by this agree that prophecies doesn't work very well?
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 10:06
    i never actually read the page, i just looked at the graph and saw that it was escalating and thought, yup, that will do.

although i do not think that you can so easily dismiss the data, with references like garbage, and its not through the dogma of my religious beliefs, not unless the BBC and the world health organisation are also religiously m ...[text shortened]... y nine years old.

but a small admission from you ol Noobster is better than nothing at all 😉
    Robbie it is garbage and i'll yell you why.

The graph you presented is for the total number of earthquakes worldwide, and when you consider this statement from the USGS Earthquakes Hazard Program.

In 1931, there were about 350 stations operating in the world; today, there are more that 4,000 stations and the data now comes in rapidly from these stations by telex, computer and satellite. This increase in the number of stations and the more timely receipt of data has allowed us and other seismological centers to locate many small earthquakes which were undetected in earlier years, and we are able to locate earthquakes more rapidly.

It's hardly surprising there are more earthquakes than 30yrs ago.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree