1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 12:152 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes and how many persons were moved to change their life and outlook after reading the prophecies of Nostredamus? if you can answer that then i think you may understand the essential differences. i myself have read his prophecies, although some time ago, and they bear no resemblance to biblical prophecies, none whatsoever, Biblical prophecy tends t ...[text shortened]... e fairly specific, as in there shall be a preponderance of earthquakes, famine and war, capiche?
    The value of truth doesn't change if the're are many who believe it or disbelieve it. It that case the biblical prophecies are all wrong because it's only a minority of the inhabitants of our planet who believe in them. This is a wrong reasoning.

I don't believe in Nostradamus prophecies. Doesn't change the fact.
    I don't believe in the biblical prophecies. Doesn't change the fact.
    The fact is that prophecies doesn't work, neither the ones of Nostradamus, nor the biblical ones.

For short - Prophecies don't work.

Biblical prophecies tends to be specific? But you told me that falling stars should be treated symbolically, didn't you? Is this what you call 'specific'? Interpretable in either way?

Again - Prophecies don't work.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 13:17
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    The value of truth doesn't change if the're are many who believe it or disbelieve it. It that case the biblical prophecies are all wrong because it's only a minority of the inhabitants of our planet who believe in them. This is a wrong reasoning.

I don't believe in Nostradamus prophecies. Doesn't change the fact.
    I don't believe in the biblical prophe ...[text shortened]... you call 'specific'? Interpretable in either way?

Again - Prophecies don't work.
    are earthquakes, famines and wars, not specific enough???? if you do not want to give credence to these prophecies, now substantiated with scientific data, then it really shows how just unreasonable your stance is. i publicly challenge you to find the same criteria for any one of Nostradamasus so called 'prophecies'.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 15:15
    are earthquakes, famines and wars, not specific enough???? if you do not want to give credence to these prophecies, now substantiated with scientific data, then it really shows how just unreasonable your stance is. i publicly challenge you to find the same criteria for any one of Nostradamasus so called 'prophecies'.
    No, it's not enough.

Earthquakes has been there all times, from year one until now. No divine propheciy is needed to see this. Same goes for famine and wars.

There are no such things as prophecies that work.
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 18:34
    Lol, am i getting lost in the Melee? right ok, so you are saying that they have increased as Christ predicted? if so you shall you renounce all pretensions of atheism and join us in rendering sacred service to our God?
    No Robbie, i'm suggesting the only other option, and the one which you bizarrely couldn't think of.

They have stayed the same.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 18:57
    now substantiated with scientific data

Gimme a break. You just live in your own little blinkered world and don't listen to what anyone says.

The USGS Earthquake Survey Group has said, which i have posted three times now on this thread, there is no evidence that the frequency of major earthquales has increased. Here's a list of the number of worldwide earthquakes measuring 6.0 on the Richter scale or more since 1990.

1990 - 127
    1991 - 112
    1992 - 179
    1993 - 149
    1994 - 159
    1995 - 203
    1996 - 164
    1997 - 136
    1998 - 129
    1999 - 134
    2000 - 161
    2001 - 137
    2002 - 137
    2003 - 155
    2004 - 157
    2005 - 151
    2006 - 153
    2007 - 196
    2008 - 180

Tha average of the 1990's is 149 and the average of the 00's so far is 158. With only 116 so far this year the average is going to dip and will end up pretty close to the 90's.

So i'm sorry, your claim that the phrophecy is now substantiated with scientific data is clearly not true.
  6. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 20:19
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Matthew 24:34 clearly states that Jesus tells his listeners that judgment day will come before the generation he is speaking to passes away. He says the sun will stop shining and the stars will fall from the sky and he ( Jesus)will come riding down from the sky in glory. As far as I know, this has not happened and everyone from that generation is long gone. ...[text shortened]... of the bible.

I can hardly wait for the believers to produce a way around this obvious error.
    The problem with simply quoting a single verse, is it can easily be taken out of context....like you have done. I refer to slightly earlier in the text;
    32Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

33So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

Jesus is saying that when the generation sees the the signs mentioned above, then the second coming will occur. When the signs have been revealed, then that generaqtion shall not pass away.

hope that clears it up for you.
  7. Maryland
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 20:23
    Originally posted by duecer
    The problem with simply quoting a single verse, is it can easily be taken out of context....like you have done. I refer to slightly earlier in the text;
    32Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

33So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, ...[text shortened]... been revealed, then that generaqtion shall not pass away.

hope that clears it up for you.
    Mark specifically says some of the people Jesus was addressing would be alive on Judgment Day. This turned out to be false. There is no getting around it. The scripture is wrong.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 20:451 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    No Robbie, i'm suggesting the only other option, and the one which you bizarrely couldn't think of.

They have stayed the same.
    unsubstantiated Noobster, as i said, a proposition based on omission, nor can you apply the same criteria to war or famine, for there has been no time in the entire history of humanity, when almost every nation on earth was involved in global conflict, until the year 1914. have wars stayed the same, answer, nope, has famine remained at the same levels, nope.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 20:46
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    No, it's not enough.

Earthquakes has been there all times, from year one until now. No divine propheciy is needed to see this. Same goes for famine and wars.

There are no such things as prophecies that work.
    make with the readies Fabian, where is the data supporting the prophecies of ol Nostrodamus.
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 21:121 edit
    Robbie it is garbage and i'll yell you why.

The graph you presented is for the total number of earthquakes worldwide, and when you consider this statement from the USGS Earthquakes Hazard Program.

In 1931, there were about 350 stations operating in the world; today, there are more that 4,000 stations and the data now comes in rapidly from these ...[text shortened]... quakes more rapidly.

It's hardly surprising there are more earthquakes than 30yrs ago.
    The point is no matter what has changed as with reporting..we now know of more earthquakes because of the better reporting. Does that not make sence to you? Is not the word "Reports" not in verse 6 of Matt 24? Do we have to see the wars to believe or not? Do we have to be in the earthquake to believe or not?
  11. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    16 Oct '09 02:28
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Mark specifically says some of the people Jesus was addressing would be alive on Judgment Day. This turned out to be false. There is no getting around it. The scripture is wrong.
    A. Matthew not Mark

B. no he doesn't. read carefully
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '09 05:12
    make with the readies Fabian, where is the data supporting the prophecies of ol Nostrodamus.
    I haven't said that there are any data supporting Nostradamus Prophecies. But there are nutty people who tink so. Go google yourself.

The prophecies of Nostradamus is no more valid than the biblical ones, because they are so alike, they both depend of heavy interpretations.

There are no valid prophecies, neither in the bible nor in the texts of Nostradamus. The future cannot be foreseen.
  13. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    16 Oct '09 10:12
    Originally posted by galveston75
    The point is no matter what has changed as with reporting..we now know of more earthquakes because of the better reporting. Does that not make sence to you? Is not the word "Reports" not in verse 6 of Matt 24? Do we have to see the wars to believe or not? Do we have to be in the earthquake to believe or not?
    Sorry, i have no idea what you are talking about. We know of more earthquakes because of improved technology.

And i can't find the word 'reports' in verse 6 of Matthew 24.

6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars; see that ye be not troubled: for these things must needs come to pass; but the end is not yet.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Oct '09 12:12
    Sorry, i have no idea what you are talking about. We know of more earthquakes because of improved technology.

And i can't find the word 'reports' in verse 6 of Matthew 24.

6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars; see that ye be not troubled: for these things must needs come to pass; but the end is not yet.
    how are we supposed to hear of wars without reports of wars dear Noobster? surely it is inferred from the text?
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    16 Oct '09 12:30
    how are we supposed to hear of wars without reports of wars dear Noobster? surely it is inferred from the text?
    Not for the first time i have absolutely no idea what either of you are talking about now.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree