1. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 10:13
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Robbie it is garbage and i'll yell you why.

The graph you presented is for the total number of earthquakes worldwide, and when you consider this statement from the USGS Earthquakes Hazard Program.

In 1931, there were about 350 stations operating in the world; today, there are more that 4,000 stations and the data now comes in rapidly from these ...[text shortened]... quakes more rapidly.

It's hardly surprising there are more earthquakes than 30yrs ago.
    oh Noobster, how very convenient for you, simply stating that there are more resources does not negate that there is a preponderance of seismic activity, simply because we can measure more, does it. Its a fallacious argument, the same as, there is more hunger and famine, because there is more starving people??? it does not negate the fact that there is more famine, does it? nope no amount of rationality can dispel with facts dude.
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 10:15
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Garbage??? It would seem someone like yourself that "seems" to be intelligent would see the data to be correct no matter your viewpoint of the Bible. Or are you so blinded by hatred of the Bible that you just refuse to acknowledge scientific fact because it supports Bible's prophicies? I think that's the answer...
    Hatred of the Bible? How can i have hatred for a book, which is an innate object? Your just being ridiculous now.

I'll re-paste my text form the USGS Earthquake Hazards Program

Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant throughout this century and, according to our records, have actually seemed to decrease in recent years.

I agree there are more earthquakes being detected as we have better technology and better communications to find them.

You make me laugh. Your quick to jump on to 'scientific fact' when it suits your agenda, but quick to dismiss mans ideas when they contradict your religious beliefs. What makes you so sure that mans sceintific facts are correct about earthquakes, and yet mans scientific facts about evolution are so obviously wrong?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 10:171 edit
    because these scientific facts are based on observable and measurable activity, evolution well, you know the routine Nooby ol son 🙂
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 10:231 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    oh Noobster, how very convenient for you, simply stating that there are more resources does not negate that there is a preponderance of seismic activity, simply because we can measure more, does it. Its a fallacious argument, the same as, there is more hunger and famine, because there is more starving people??? it does not negate the fact that there is more famine, does it? nope no amount of rationality can dispel with facts dude.
    I know you've got it onto your head and no matter what i say or bring to you is going to change your mind. It is funny how suddenly the facts of science are suddenly your best friend when you need them to be, but when the facts of science contradict your religious beliefs suddenly they're mans 'fallible ideas'.

One last time, from the USGS Earthquake Hazard Program. Scientists who spend their lives dealing with earthquakes, i assume you agree they know what they are talking about.

Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant throughout this century and, according to our records, have actually seemed to decrease in recent years.

The NEIC now locates about 12,000 to 14,000 earthquakes each year or approximately 50 per day. Also, because of the improvements in communications and the increased interest in natural disasters, the public now learns about more earthquakes. According to long-term records (since about 1900), we expect about 18 major earthquakes (7.0 - 7.9) and one great earthquake (8.0 or above) in any given year. However, let's take a look at what has happened in the past 32 years, from 1969 through 2001, so far. Our records show that 1992, and 1995-1997 were the only years that we have reached or exceeded the long-term average number of major earthquakes since 1971. In 1970 and in 1971 we had 20 and 19 major earthquakes, respectively, but in other years the total was in many cases well below the 18 per year which we may expect based on the long-term average.

Other than providing evidence form the people who' job it is survey earthquakes, i'm not sure what else i can give you.

Here's more earthquake data -

http://research.dlindquist.com/quake/historical/?mag=7&type=num&freq=month&style=raw
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 10:313 edits
    I know you've got it onto your head and no matter what i say or bring to you is going to change your mind. It is funny how suddenly the facts of science are suddenly your best friend when you need them to be, but when the facts of science contradict your religious beliefs suddenly they're mans 'fallible ideas'.

One last time, from the USGS Earthquake

http://research.dlindquist.com/quake/historical/?mag=7&type=num&freq=month&style=raw
    i know what you are saying Noobster my friend, we are not disputing the data, nor the credentials of those who measure nor of the science (for as you are aware i hold that science and the bible are compatible, when the science is scientific of course), but would you agree that simply having more resources does not in any way negate that there has been , since the time of Christ, a preponderance of earthquakes, for either there has been or there has not been. what i think you are objecting to, is the interpretation of the data, and if i must say, its a very convenient argument to state that there is more resources therefore we can record more, therefore this is the reason that there is more???? for how is it possible to dispute. its an argument based on what is omitted, rather than what is evident.
  6. Maryland
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 10:42
    Originally posted by gambit3
    The chosen people of God rejected the Messiah and the nation of Israel was judged. They failed to be a nation of priest to the world and rejected the Christ. In A.D. 70 the Roman army was the tool God used to punish Israel. The generation of that time saw the Roman army destroy and scatter the nation of Israel. What happened to Israel in A.D. 70 is nothing c ...[text shortened]... ah. P.S. Ten thousand legions of the Roman army could not sack Israel without God's permission.
    So clearly you admit the bible was wrong because the fall of Jerusalem was not the end of time that Jesus predicted would occur in the life time of at least some of the people to whom he was preaching. Thank you for your (indirect) admission. I suspect that's as close as you can come to being honest with yourself.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 10:44
    Originally posted by 667joe
    So clearly you admit the bible was wrong because the fall of Jerusalem was not the end of time that Jesus predicted would occur in the life time of at least some of the people to whom he was preaching. Thank you for your (indirect) admission. I suspect that's as close as you can come to being honest with yourself.
    what is it about the prophecy having an initial fulfilment and an extended fulfilment that you do not understand? why must everything be conveniently on one level? if that was the case then Orwell's animal farm would be a children's story about piggy's and horses.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 10:53
    what is it about the prophecy having an initial fulfilment and an extended fulfilment that you do not understand? why must everything be conveniently on one level? if that was the case then Orwell's animal farm would be a children's story about piggy's and horses.
    Your thoughts about the biblical prophecies can easliy be applicable to the prophecies of Nostradamus. They are all alike.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 10:59
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Your thoughts about the biblical prophecies can easliy be applicable to the prophecies of Nostradamus. They are all alike.
    yes, but it is another fallacious argument, for it does not in any way, negate the validity of the prophecy, for it is as comparing apples to oranges.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 11:10
    i know what you are saying Noobster my friend, we are not disputing the data, nor the credentials of those who measure nor of the science (for as you are aware i hold that science and the bible are compatible, when the science is scientific of course), but would you agree that simply having more resources does not in any way negate that there has bee ...[text shortened]... it possible to dispute. its an argument based on what is omitted, rather than what is evident.
    since the time of Christ, a preponderance of earthquakes, for either there has been or there has not been

The evidence would suggest the answer is no.

what i think you are objecting to, is the interpretation of the data

A story for you, and a true one. Ten years ago nearly i was in Manchester when the city was struck by a couple of earthquakes. Not very big but enough to be felt. The first one struck at around 6:30am and woke me up, although i didn't know what it was at the time. The second struck at around 11am when i was three flights up in a lecture theatre and was easily noticeable, it measured 3.9 on the Richter scale and lasted around 3 seconds. There were two earthquakes that were felt but a dozen or more which weren't and over the next two weeks around 80 'seismic events' were recorded.

Before 150 yrs ago only two of the Manc earthquakes would have been recorded, but with the development of technology the quakes which were too small to be felt on the surface of the earth were detected. This is the point i'm trying to make. Advancements in technology allow us to now detect quakes that aren't visible on the surface, in the case of the Manchester quake 8x the number. We can now detect any earthquke which measures 1 on the Richter scale anywhere in the world. 50 yrs ago we couldn't as there weren't enough detecting stations.

You catching my drift?
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 11:11
    yes, but it is another fallacious argument, for it does not in any way, negate the validity of the prophecy, for it is as comparing apples to oranges.
    Does prophecies work in one system then prophecies work in another system.
    If you deny prophecies in another system, it can be denied in any system.
    Apples and oranges.

I deny prophecies in any system. The future cannot be foretold, other than statistically. Tell me now who will be the next President of Unitied States. Or when Obama will die. Now, not after.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 11:38
    [b] since the time of Christ, a preponderance of earthquakes, for either there has been or there has not been

The evidence would suggest the answer is no.

what i think you are objecting to, is the interpretation of the data

A story for you, and a true one. Ten years ago nearly i was in Manchester when the city was struck by a couple o ...[text shortened]... rs ago we couldn't as there weren't enough detecting stations.

You catching my drift?[/b]
    yes i am catching your drift, but the graph is going up and up, and not only that, since populations migrate to cities, the potential for loss of life and devastation must also increase. i do not know how in all honesty you can state noobster that the frequency of earthquakes has decreased since the time of Christ, nor the devastation that they cause.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 11:44
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Does prophecies work in one system then prophecies work in another system.
    If you deny prophecies in another system, it can be denied in any system.
    Apples and oranges.

I deny prophecies in any system. The future cannot be foretold, other than statistically. Tell me now who will be the next President of Unitied States. Or when Obama will die. Now, not after.
    yes and how many persons were moved to change their life and outlook after reading the prophecies of Nostredamus? if you can answer that then i think you may understand the essential differences. i myself have read his prophecies, although some time ago, and they bear no resemblance to biblical prophecies, none whatsoever, Biblical prophecy tends to be fairly specific, as in there shall be a preponderance of earthquakes, famine and war, capiche?
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 11:56
    yes i am catching your drift, but the graph is going up and up, and not only that, since populations migrate to cities, the potential for loss of life and devastation must also increase. i do not know how in all honesty you can state noobster that the frequency of earthquakes has decreased since the time of Christ, nor the devastation that they cause.
    i do not know how in all honesty you can state noobster that the frequency of earthquakes has decreased since the time of Christ, nor the devastation that they cause

That's because i haven't said that.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Oct '09 12:09
    [b]i do not know how in all honesty you can state noobster that the frequency of earthquakes has decreased since the time of Christ, nor the devastation that they cause

That's because i haven't said that.[/b]
    Lol, am i getting lost in the Melee? right ok, so you are saying that they have increased as Christ predicted? if so you shall you renounce all pretensions of atheism and join us in rendering sacred service to our God?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree