1. Maryland
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 01:16
    Matthew 24:34 clearly states that Jesus tells his listeners that judgment day will come before the generation he is speaking to passes away. He says the sun will stop shining and the stars will fall from the sky and he ( Jesus)will come riding down from the sky in glory. As far as I know, this has not happened and everyone from that generation is long gone.

I think it is safe to say this is a major error in the bible, a big enough error to create serious doubt about the rest of the bible.

I can hardly wait for the believers to produce a way around this obvious error.
  2. e4
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 01:371 edit
    You are correct The Bible is wrong so therefore you cannot use The Bible
    to prove it is wrong, because it is wrong....Gotcha!!
  3. Maryland
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 01:48
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    You are correct The Bible is wrong so therefore you cannot use The Bible
    to prove it is worng, because it is wrong....Gotcha!!
    I hope you are being sarcastic rather than being on a hallucinogen that has your mind going in circles. I am using fact to prove the bible wrong, not the bible.
  4. e4
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 01:53
    No you are saying the Bible is wrong and then using the Bible to
    say you are right - that's not right, it's wrong.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 03:58
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Matthew 24:34 clearly states that Jesus tells his listeners that judgment day will come before the generation he is speaking to passes away. He says the sun will stop shining and the stars will fall from the sky and he ( Jesus)will come riding down from the sky in glory. As far as I know, this has not happened and everyone from that generation is long gone. ...[text shortened]... of the bible.

This one is too easy.

The error is on you. When Jesus says 'this generation', do you think He meant the one He was speaking to at that moment? Or could it be that you really don't know?
  6. Maryland
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 05:41
    Originally posted by josephw
    This one is too easy.

The error is on you. When Jesus says 'this generation', do you think He meant the one He was speaking to at that moment? Or could it be that you really don't know?
    My understanding is that Jesus is reported to have said that Judgment day will occur within the life time of some of the people that he was then talking to who were directly listening to his voice. Don't try to deny it.
  7. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 08:00
    Matthew 24:34 clearly states that Jesus tells his listeners that judgment day will come before the generation he is speaking to passes away. He says the sun will stop shining and the stars will fall from the sky and he ( Jesus)will come riding down from the sky in glory. As far as I know, this has not happened and everyone from that generation is long gone. ...[text shortened]... of the bible.

What you purport is quite out of context. This is the reason for my disdain of plucking single verses and trying to glean the least bit of meaning from them.

The verse is written in the following context (Matt 24:32-35):

"From the fig tree learn its lesson: as soon as its branch becomes tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near. So also, when you see all these things, you know that he* is near, at the very gates. Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away."

Jesus is not only speaking in terms of these verses, but also in relation to the other apocryphal content of Mattew 24. To pull one verse in the absence of the others is to understand none of it.
  8. England
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 09:46

yes but did judas die some have him hanging, others have him cutting open himself,[ field of blood] but in john they ask and what is to done with this man . jesus what is it to do with you . some say john is tlking about john but i think its to do with judas and this generation he talked to still here,
    A bit heavy theory i know but well worth thinking about it
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 10:23

you cannot wait?, why do you not have any better things to do, than try to pick holes in the ancient text, do you not know that its 'god breathed', or inspired. if you will be as kind to look at the context of the verse, you will notice that here are certain features given, which clearly indicate that the prophecy had an initial fulfilment during the destruction of Jerusalem in 70C.E. when the Roman armies under Titus came and destroyed Jerusalem, would you like some historical references or other facts to indicate that this occurred? secondly it is clear that the prophecy has a future fulfilment, for there is described a great tribulation, the like of which no one has ever witnessed, and it is clear that it must be a future event, for concerning the hour, no one knows except the father. why this should escape your notice, i do not know?
  10. Maryland
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 12:10
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you cannot wait?, why do you not have any better things to do, than try to pick holes in the ancient text, do you not know that its 'god breathed', or inspired. if you will be as kind to look at the context of the verse, you will notice that here are certain features given, which clearly indicate that the prophecy had an initial fulfilment during th ...[text shortened]... the hour, no one knows except the father. why this should escape your notice, i do not know?
    You are throwing out a red herring. Jerusalem fell , but judgment day did not happen nor did the second coming. The Bible is wrong.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 12:241 edit
    You are throwing out a red herring. Jerusalem fell , but judgment day did not happen nor did the second coming. The Bible is wrong.
    read the verse in context jojo, it is clear that it has a future fulfilment as well as an immediate fulfilment, concerning the initial fulfilment, it was certainly a judgement and if you were a Bible student, you would know that the second coming refers to the presence of Christ, from the Greek Parousia, which means that the events that are listed, happen during Christ's presence, rather than his coming, as in at a future time, but your a noob so we forgive you, Bible is sound jojo, read it and be happy 🙂

(Matthew 24:3) . . .While he was sitting upon the Mount of Olives, the disciples approached him privately, saying: “Tell us, When will these things be, and what will be the sign of your presence and of the conclusion of the system of things?”
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 12:242 edits

So joe, let me ask you a personal question. Does this mean that you personally do not have to be concerned about being judged by God ?Does your interpretation of Matthew 24:34 make you feel that Divine judgment is not at all a concern of yours ?
  13. Maryland
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 12:30
    Originally posted by jaywill
    So joe, let me ask you a personal question. Does this mean that you personally do not have to be concerned about being judged by God ?Does your interpretation of [b]Matthew 24:34 make you feel that Divine judgment is not at all a concern of yours ?[/b]
    Divine Judgment is make believe. Plus, that is also a red herring in this debate. This question is whether the infallible bible made an error which reduces it's veracity in other areas.
  14. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 12:33
    Divine Judgment is make believe. Plus, that is also a red herring in this debate. This question is whether the infallible bible made an error which reduces it's veracity in other areas.
    ===========================================
    =======================================

How do you know that Divine Judgment is make believe? Is it because you strongly wish it to be so ?
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Oct '09 12:37
    a more pertinent question would be, how Christ was able to foretell the destruction of Jerusalem, decades in advance, with chilling accuracy!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree