Matthew 27:52–53

Matthew 27:52–53

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
02 Feb 22

@sonship said
@FMF

Prestiege is a better word maybe than clout.

I think you want the prestiege of one showing that there is no God.
But when unable to show it, you can back into agnosticism - "Well I don't know that there is no God."

What's the harm in just saying "Well, I don't KNOW that here is no God. I am an agnostic?"

Is there a loss of respect in you taking that position with some of your friends?
See my post at 18:24. If FMF claimed to be 'agnostic' he could be considered to be making a statement of belief, that being that he held a belief that the existence and nature of a god is inherently unknowable. His use of the term 'agnostic atheist' clarifies his status of belief.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Feb 22

@FMF

Courage?
Courage?
What on earth do you mean by courage?

I mean it smacks of some cowardice to not be able to claim "I am an atheist PERIOD"

Excuse the caps. That's to grab attention.
Subtract .5 of a minor point on the caps.

Which is stronger the agnostic side of you being an agnostic atheist or the atheist side of it? Which are you more committed to?

F

Moves
02 Feb 22
1 edit

@sonship said
Is there a loss of respect in you taking that position with some of your friends?
"A loss of respect"?

"Prestige". "Cowardice". "Clout". "Courage".

What psychodrama is going on in your mind as you read my posts?

F

Moves
02 Feb 22
1 edit

@sonship said
I mean it smacks of some cowardice to not be able to claim "I am an atheist PERIOD"
"Cowardice"?

I am an agnostic atheist.

Google it.

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@sonship said
Which is stronger the agnostic side of you being an agnostic atheist or the atheist side of it? Which are you more committed to?
I am agnostic about the existence of a creator entity. I am an atheist about the deity you describe.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Feb 22
1 edit

@avalanchethecat

See my post at 18:24. If FMF claimed to be 'agnostic' he could be considered to be making a statement of belief, that being that he held a belief that the existence and nature of a god is inherently unknowable.

A statement of agnosticism can be backed up depending on how he means.

"I don't know if God exists or not" I think can be demonstrated.

" I don't know if God exists or not. AND no one else does either." is harder to demonstrate.

I consider these two forms of agnosticism weaker and stronger.
Weaker does not mean weak. Its relative thing.

"Agnostic atheist" is like no position or an obfuscated one concocted to be the easiest to defend.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
02 Feb 22

@sonship said
@avalanchethecat
See my post at 18:24. If FMF claimed to be 'agnostic' he could be considered to be making a statement of belief, that being that he held a belief that the existence and nature of a god is inherently unknowable.

A statement of agnosticism can be backed up depending on how he means.

"I don't know if God exists or not" I think can be ...[text shortened]... "Agnostic atheist" is like no position or an obfuscated one concocted to be the easiest to defend.
There is an accepted definition of the term 'agnostic atheist'. If you feel that it is easy to defend, that seems to suggest that you see the wisdom of the position.

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@sonship said
"Agnostic atheist" is like no position or an obfuscated one concocted to be the easiest to defend.
It's an honest and accurate description of a position. It is not an obfuscation. It''s clear. It's not a concoction. It's sincere.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Feb 22

@FMF
Sincere?

F

Moves
02 Feb 22
1 edit

@sonship said
Sincere?
Yes. Completely sincere. And candid, too.

Aren't you sincere as well?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
02 Feb 22

@fmf said
If there is a creator entity, I have come to the conclusion that the Bible has nothing to do with it. I believe the Bible is an anthropological artefact.
Seems to me, if you're that convinced the Bible is irrelevant to knowing God, it is irrational for you to even bother with generating discussions about its veracity.

Or is it just confirmation bias you're engaged in?

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@josephw said
Seems to me, if you're that convinced the Bible is irrelevant to knowing God, it is irrational for you to even bother with generating discussions about its veracity.
I disagree.

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@josephw said
Or is it just confirmation bias you're engaged in?
Confirmation bias would be if I discussed atheism with other atheists all the time. Talking to theists all the time is the opposite of Confirmation bias. So, the answer to your question is no.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
02 Feb 22

@fmf said
I disagree.
Then perhaps you have an agenda, or you're just bored out of your gourd.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
02 Feb 22
2 edits

@fmf said
Talking to theists all the time is the opposite of Confirmation bias.
Misconfirmation bias? Or is it disconfirmation bias? Unconfirmation bias? Deconfirmation bias?

🤦‍♂️