Matthew 27:52–53

Matthew 27:52–53

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
01 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
And there you go with the nasty insults.

I used to think your nasty insults were due to you being a hateful person.

But I’ve more recently come to believe your nasty insults are a protection mechanism you employ to protect your false doctrine and the false front you present of being an authority on the Holy Bible.

Whenever someone starts exposing your false doctrine f ...[text shortened]... gth to protect your false doctrine and your laughable view of yourself as an authority on the Bible.
And there you go with the lying and twisting what people say. I SAID THERE WAS NO BIBLE FOR PEOPLE TO STUDY FROM. The bible was the Torah and Septuagint and these were big scrolls. Nobody did bible study in those days like people do now.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Feb 22

@avalanchethecat said
That's entirely circular reasoning though, as you make the claim to back up an account of a supernatural event detailed in the same scripture.

"... I believe the Gospels are reliable and trustworthy."

You are, of course, entirely free to hold this belief, but you must be aware that you do so without a firm evidential basis.
<<You are, of course, entirely free to hold this belief, but you must be aware that you do so without a firm evidential basis.>>

Well obviously I disagree. I’ve looked into the reliability of the Gospels and we’ve had this conversation, though you may have had it more extensively with KellyJay.

And it’s not circular reasoning at all. The Gospel writers recorded supernatural events. I believe what they wrote. How is that circular?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Feb 22

@rajk999 said
And there you go with the lying and twisting what people say. I SAID THERE WAS NO BIBLE FOR PEOPLE TO STUDY FROM. The bible was the Torah and Septuagint and these were big scrolls. Nobody did bible study in those days like people do now.
What do you think people did during synagogue services?

And those synagogue services took place three times a day.

You got caught looking foolish and are now trying to backtrack and wishy-washy your way out of it.

Just take the L and go have a sandwich lol

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
01 Feb 22

@pb1022 said
<<You are, of course, entirely free to hold this belief, but you must be aware that you do so without a firm evidential basis.>>

Well obviously I disagree. I’ve looked into the reliability of the Gospels and we’ve had this conversation, though you may have had it more extensively with KellyJay.

And it’s not circular reasoning at all. The Gospel writers recorded supernatural events. I believe what they wrote. How is that circular?
Your opinion notwithstanding, the evidential basis for the events detailed in the Gospels is meagre, at best.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Feb 22

@avalanchethecat said
Your opinion notwithstanding, the evidential basis for the events detailed in the Gospels is meagre, at best.
Well then this is a debate that’s been had before. Why tread old ground?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Feb 22
2 edits

@FMF

I am an agnostic atheist. But I am interested in the historicity of Matthew 27:52–53. Is it MERELY because it's mentioned in one of the gospels that supposedly makes it a "historical fact"?

What is your topmost, number 1, primary reason for not believing in the existence of God?

Don't give your 3rd or 4th, or 7th most important reason, or your 12th or your 32nd best reason. But what is your #1 - MOST important reason why you have become an atheist?

Probably it is not that Matthew wrote of risen patriarchs appearing in Jerusalem around the time of Christ's ressurrection. What's your most important reason for being an atheist?

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@sonship said
What is your topmost, number 1, primary reason for not believing in the existence of God?
You mean, the particular God figure that you believe in?

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
02 Feb 22

@fmf said
Then, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth quaked, and the rocks were split, and the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised; and coming out of the graves after His resurrection, they went into the holy city and appeared to many.

Are Christians obliged to believe and to assert that this really happened?
Do you mean obligated?

I can't wait to meet Matthew and ask him?

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@josephw said
Do you mean obligated?
No, I mean "obliged".

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Feb 22

@fmf said
So, your answer to "Where are the eyewitness accounts of at least some of these "many"?" is what? There are some? Or there aren't any?
He told a story about an event that many experienced.

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@kellyjay said
He told a story about an event that many experienced.
Who told you "Matthew" wrote it?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
02 Feb 22
2 edits

@FMF

You mean, the particular God figure that you believe in?

You know what I mean.
Nevermind if you prefer to dodge the question behind a pretended need for clarification.

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@sonship said
Nevermind if you prefer to dodge the question behind a pretended need for clarification.
How am I dodging the question, sonship? You and I have discussed this issue two dozen times over the last decade.

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@sonship said
I sincerely believe that the Bible's content is mythology. I don't subscribe to the beliefs Christians have about the identity and significance of Jesus' life because I simply do not believe that the Bible is a credible source about supernatural things. That's the "primary reason".

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Feb 22

@fmf said
I sincerely believe that the Bible's content is mythology. I don't subscribe to the beliefs Christians have about the identity and significance of Jesus' life because I simply do not believe that the Bible is a credible source about supernatural things. That's the "primary reason".
That is your beliefs your faith on the matters of those events and Jesus' life.