Matthew 27:52–53

Matthew 27:52–53

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
02 Feb 22

@fmf said
We use "obliged" differently from Americans in everyday English. You and I are not arguing a legal case in court.
Obligation- The action of binding oneself by oath, promise, or contract to do or forbear something; an agreement whereby one person is bound to another, or two or more persons are mutually bound; also, that to which one binds oneself, a formal promise.
Oxford English Dictionary

Obligation- 1 : the action of obligating oneself to a course of action (as by a promise or vow)
2 a : something (as a formal contract, a promise, or the demands of
Marriam-Webster

I don't know FMF, sounds strikingly similar.

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@josephw said
Obligation- The action of binding oneself by oath, promise, or contract to do or forbear something; an agreement whereby one person is bound to another, or two or more persons are mutually bound; also, that to which one binds oneself, a formal promise.
Oxford English Dictionary

Obligation- 1 : the action of obligating oneself to a course of action (as by a promise or vow ...[text shortened]... tract, a promise, or the demands of
Marriam-Webster

I don't know FMF, sounds strikingly similar.
British people use "obliged" differently from Americans in everyday English. My use of the word "obliged" is fine.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
02 Feb 22

@fmf said
If a Christian believes Matthew 27:52-53 is farfetched, superstitious hokum, is it 'OK', or is it a case of all-or-nothing?
Some things are obligatory, some are not.

In this case I'd say not, but that's just my opinion.

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@josephw said
Some things are obligatory, some are not.
Speaking of which, it would be interesting to hear what you have to say about doctrines and teachings not required for salvation.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
02 Feb 22

@fmf said
British people use "obliged" differently from Americans in everyday English. My use of the word "obliged" is fine.
Then would you define how you're using the term?

Never mind. I think we're past that.

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@josephw said
Then would you define how you're using the term?
If you can't figure out what I meant by the word "obliged", so be it.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
02 Feb 22

@fmf said
Speaking of which, it would be interesting to hear what you have to say about doctrines and teachings not required for salvation.
I've heard of some that got saved with only a fragment of scripture without knowing much else.

God sees the heart.

For example: in your case, knowing as much as you do about the Bible, much more are you obligated to believe.

You can start with the resurrection of Jesus Christ, then we can go from there.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
02 Feb 22

@fmf said
If you can't figure out what I meant by the word "obliged", so be it.
I knew what you meant from the start. I just thought I'd chase you around the mulberry bush to see your reaction.

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@josephw said
For example: in your case, knowing as much as you do about the Bible, much more are you obligated to believe.
Oh well. From my point of view, knowing as much as I do about the Bible, I am not "able" to believe. I can't just decide to believe something that I don't find credible. The obligation you think exists for me is in your imagination and not in mine.

F

Moves
02 Feb 22
1 edit

@josephw said
I knew what you meant from the start. I just thought I'd chase you around the mulberry bush to see your reaction.
'josephw demonstrating he is a parochial American' is a tedious riff.

It reminds me of Suzianne, the time that she insisted "orientated" is not a word.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
02 Feb 22

@fmf said
Oh well. From my point of view, knowing as much as I do about the Bible, I am not "able" to believe. I can't just decide to believe something that I don't find credible. The obligation you think exists for me is in your imagination and not in mine.
You don't need a Bible to know there is a Creator.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
02 Feb 22

@fmf said
'josephw demonstrating he is a parochial American' is a tedious riff.

It reminds me of Suzianne, the time that she insisted "orientated" is not a word.
Who in the world are you talking to? Yourself?

😎

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@josephw said
You don't need a Bible to know there is a Creator.
If there is a creator entity, I have come to the conclusion that the Bible has nothing to do with it. I believe the Bible is an anthropological artefact.

F

Moves
02 Feb 22

@josephw said
Who in the world are you talking to? Yourself?
Nope. You.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
02 Feb 22

@fmf said
Your "faith" ~ that [1] you are going to live forever because of your religious beliefs and [2] that torture in burning flames in eternity awaits me because I don't share your religious beliefs ~ does not create any actual hazard or danger for me.

[1] Me finding your torturer God ideology to be morally incoherent and irrelevant to me is not a conclusion for which I need "fait ...[text shortened]... to be farfetched and irrelevant to me, again, is not a conclusion for which I need "faith" to reach.
The specific items under discussion are true or not, the way we handle how we look at them we do so by those things we trust, trusting someone or something is putting faith in them.