1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 13:331 edit
    I would be grateful to all that would seek to add to this subject any positive remarks and contribution they can make. I believe in the power of meditation regardless of one's spiritual perspective. I am providing a link I hope you will take a few minutes to read. Afterward, I would be happy to read any thoughts you may have concerning the technique and benefit of meditation especially as it relates to it's use by those who face serious illness and pain, and possibly death.

Here is a quote from the article I selected as a starting point of this discussion. I'm asking everyone to please keep this thread a discussion and not allow it to degenerate into a debate and argument.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/painhelp.html

"The purpose of meditation is to find happiness and well-being within the mind, independent of the body or other things going on outside. Your aim is to find something solid within that you can depend on no matter what happens to the body."
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 13:58
    Originally posted by josephw
    I would be grateful to all that would seek to add to this subject any positive remarks and contribution they can make. I believe in the power of meditation regardless of one's spiritual perspective. I am providing a link I hope you will take a few minutes to read. Afterward, I would be happy to read any thoughts you may have concerning the technique and bene ...[text shortened]... find something solid within that you can depend on no matter what happens to the body."[/b]
    The eastern religions, the true experts of various methods of meditation, have much to teach us. I agree with you completely.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 14:332 edits
    I would be grateful to all that would seek to add to this subject any positive remarks and contribution they can make. I believe in the power of meditation regardless of one's spiritual perspective. I am providing a link I hope you will take a few minutes to read. Afterward, I would be happy to read any thoughts you may have concerning the technique and bene find something solid within that you can depend on no matter what happens to the body."[/b]
    the aim of meditation is to draw upon experiences in the past, bring them to the fore
    and to deal with problems in the here and now, its not an airy fairy exercise to help
    one feel relaxed, if relaxation is what you are after, go to the sauna or take a stiff drink
    of whiskey, it accomplishes the same thing. Meditation should be practical, a process
    of reflection to help us see the constituent parts, of how they relate to each other and
    the entity as a whole, to make sense of it and to find solutions. Its an engagement of
    the mind rather than an attempt to disengage it.
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 14:41
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    the aim of meditation is to draw upon experiences in the past, bring them to the fore
    and to deal with problems in the here and now, its not an airy fairy exercise to help
    one feel relaxed, if relaxation is what you are after, go to the sauna or take a stiff drink
    of whiskey, it accomplishes the same thing. Meditation should be practical, a pr ...[text shortened]... and to find solutions. Its an engagement of
    To my limited knowledge there are numerous meditation techniques.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 14:441 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    To my limited knowledge there are numerous meditation techniques.
    yes there are! however, one needs nothing special to reflect, a quite place, a calm
    disposition and the time to do it. The problem is filtering out non essentials, that song
    that you heard that's going around your mind like some crazy manta, the radio jingle
    or some other triviality.
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 19:20
    of whiskey, it accomplishes the same thing. Meditation should be practical, a pr ...[text shortened]... and to find solutions. Its an engagement of
    This is one view of meditation which can indeed prove beneficial. You do appear however to be dismissing other approaches which can also have very positive effects on a mind and body. Meditation to disengage the mind is central to the practice of Zen Buddhism - are we to understand you hold this in low estimation?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 23:551 edit
    I would be grateful to all that would seek to add to this subject any positive remarks and contribution they can make. I believe in the power of meditation regardless of one's spiritual perspective. I am providing a link I hope you will take a few minutes to read. Afterward, I would be happy to read any thoughts you may have concerning the technique and bene find something solid within that you can depend on no matter what happens to the body."[/b]
    Yes, I usually go in my closet in the pitch dark, close my eyes, and just empty all thoughts out of my mind. No more tasks, no more worries, no more cares in this life and just focus on one Jesus Christ.

Of course, the hard part is coming out of the closet and joining the real world again. I usually see or experience something disturbing shortly after coming out of the closet, like seeing the smiling face of Obama glaring at me on the TV screen. At that point I usually turn back and go back into the closet if time allows. 😛
  8. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '12 00:09
    Originally posted by whodey
    Yes, I usually go in my closet in the pitch dark, close my eyes, and just empty all thoughts out of my mind. No more tasks, no more worries, no more cares in this life and just focus on one Jesus Christ.

Of course, the hard part is coming out of the closet and joining the real world again. I usually see or experience something disturbing shortly after co ...[text shortened]... e TV screen. At that point I usually turn back and go back into the closet if time allows. 😛
    "Of course, the hard part is coming out of the closet"

Well the important thing is that you've finally come out of the closet. That was a very brave thing to do considering most of your fellow Christians on this board reject homosexuality. Congratulations! You're bravery should serve as an inspiration to others. Who's next?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '12 00:19
    Originally posted by Ullr
    "Of course, the hard part is coming out of the closet"

Well the important thing is that you've finally come out of the closet. That was a very brave thing to do considering most of your fellow Christians on this board reject homosexuality. Congratulations! You're bravery should serve as an inspiration to others. Who's next?
    Screw it, it's back to the closet again!! 😠

See what I mean everyone? :'(
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    17 Jan '12 01:26
    I would be grateful to all that would seek to add to this subject any positive remarks and contribution they can make. I believe in the power of meditation regardless of one's spiritual perspective. I am providing a link I hope you will take a few minutes to read. Afterward, I would be happy to read any thoughts you may have concerning the technique and bene ...[text shortened]... find something solid within that you can depend on no matter what happens to the body."[/b]
    Frankly, didn't read it all. My hospital (Kaiser) includes meditation in its pain management program. Here's a link to a study (unrelated to my hospital).

http://dunntastic.com/sources/Davidson%202003%20-%20Alterations%20in%20brain%20and%20immune%20function%20produced%20by%20mindfulness%20meditation.pdf
  11. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    17 Jan '12 08:13
    for advanced level meditation only.

http://anmolmehta.com/blog/2010/06/24/raising-kundalini-shakti-serpent-meditation/
  12. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    17 Jan '12 09:00
    Dokkodo
    Life is the ultimate dojo😵
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Jan '12 12:131 edit
    I believe one can always "turn inwards" and meditate.
    I have mentioned elsewhere that it is important to be able to do 2 things at once.

So I can type here and make my moves, but at the same time I can bring my focus back yo my centre (naval) .(the more you practice , the easier it becomes)

See meditation can bring about another duality that which is meditation and non-meditation.
    After some practice it becomes natural. You can find yourself in the most dire of circumstances but still bring your focus back to your centre.
    Thereby creating,(hopefully), a non dualistic form of life/meditation.

Of course for the beginners "simply sitting" is highly recommended. Straight back. No worries about any other thoughts that may enter . If they do enter, no worries, they will leave on their own accord. You can continue on with a clear mind.

So that is my general input into this topic and that is: that we shouldn't make more dualities with meditation.
    Of course everyone is different and will find different styles that suit them. But I have seen people get even more angry when they are disturbed in their meditations, which I believe is counterproductive. All outside phenomenom is actually there to assist you in your meditation. Like mosquitoes for example.

But the bottom line again is that one shouldn't make meditation as something apart from the rest of their life. It should be woven into the meditators(persons) own paradigm , which will be unique for everyone, and everyone should have their own way of dealing with these creeping dualities.

All you need is a cushion (recommended for beginners), and a clear mind that knows why it is attempting to meditate in the first places. Music can help.
    I suggest going to meditation classes for beginners, (with good teachers, of course).
    Do not have any pre-conceptions and dont just think it is "relaxing" - for it is not.
    Try to stay alert as possible . And with all spiritual things, it is not a race. Just be open to the possibility and you can find fellow meditators in the most unusual of places.
    Ask someone: "Would you like to meditate?" Simple and profound.
    20 mins of quality, alert meditation is worth more than an hour of semi-snoozing.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 Jan '12 12:23
    "..,its not an airy fairy exercise to help one feel relaxed,.."

Of course it's not an "airy fairy" exercise. It's a legitimate way of calming the soul and clearing distractions from the mind.

Finding peace of mind is a good thing robbie. Even if you don't agree with the method. It's the purpose that's important.

Meditation, by whatever means, is healthy for both the mind and the body.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    17 Jan '12 12:32
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Dokkodo
    Life is the ultimate dojo😵
    Dokkodo

Accept everything just the way it is.
    Do not seek pleasure for its own sake.
    Do not, under any circumstances, depend on a partial feeling.
    Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world.
    Be detached from desire your whole life long.
    Do not regret what you have done.
    Never be jealous.
    Never let yourself be saddened by a separation.
    Resentment and complaint are appropriate neither for oneself nor others.
    Do not let yourself be guided by the feeling of lust or love.
    In all things have no preferences.
    Be indifferent to where you live.
    Do not pursue the taste of good food.
    Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need.
    Do not act following customary beliefs.
    Do not collect weapons or practice with weapons beyond what is useful.
    Do not fear death.
    Do not seek to possess either goods or fiefs for your old age.
    Respect Buddha and the gods without counting on their help.[1]
    You may abandon your own body but you must preserve your honour.
    Never stray from the Way.

Not perfect, but good. Some points are debatable, but not here.

I was hoping to get some ideas about the benefit of meditation as it relates to dealing with pain and illness, and the prospect of death.

I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree