Mississippi passes religious 'Freedom' bill:

Mississippi passes religious 'Freedom' bill:

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
06 Apr 16

Originally posted by googlefudge
It's none of those things.

But as I have said many times before, this rubbish about being 'natural' or not is irrelevant.

Being 'natural' or 'unnatural' is not any indication of being good or bad [particularly since those
terms have no clear or well defined meanings]. Many plants and animals contain perfectly
'natural' poisons or toxins [like c ...[text shortened]... ot [your favourite, and indeed only argument out side of 'god said so']
is totally irrelevant.
Actually the Bible itself states that its unnatural.😵

Moves
06 Apr 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Actually the Bible itself states that its unnatural.😵
That falls under the aforementioned category of "god said so".

It also falls into the category of things I don't care about by definition because I am an atheist.

Additionally, as morality [as opposed to sin] has nothing to do with god's wishes it's irrelevant to
determining whether or not anything is moral or immoral.

Cape Town

Moves
06 Apr 16

Originally posted by checkbaiter
In a perfect world, yes. But then again you wouldn't be there.
Question dodging.
If it came up for vote in your state would you vote to make blasphemy in public illegal?

Cape Town

Moves
06 Apr 16

Originally posted by checkbaiter
My, my, what have I done?
You have aired your bigoted views and failed to support them.

I said what I had to say and will not be answering any more foolish questions.
Not surprising really. Anyone who disagrees with you is 'asking foolish questions'.

Cape Town

Moves
06 Apr 16

I thought you might mention those Angles who ....
Are you dissing the English?

Moves
06 Apr 16

more codswallop! I also resent these appeals to personal considerations so beloved by those desperadoes devoid of objective reasoning. As an existentialist philosopher I reject a genetic argument. Why? because a predisposition is not the same thing as a causation otherwise if I was a kleptomaniac I should evade prosecution for my crimes blaming it ...[text shortened]... fe and became homosexuals nor those who abandoned homosexual practices and became heterosexuals.
Appeals to personal considerations sir are only necessary when you demonstrate a difficulty in empathizing with the considerations of others. A predisposition is a causation when we are dealing with something as humanly fundamental as a sex drive or sexual orientation. Comparing this impulse with a compulsion to shoplift is a nonsense.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Apr 16

Originally posted by googlefudge
It's none of those things.

But as I have said many times before, this rubbish about being 'natural' or not is irrelevant.

Being 'natural' or 'unnatural' is not any indication of being good or bad [particularly since those
terms have no clear or well defined meanings]. Many plants and animals contain perfectly
'natural' poisons or toxins [like c ...[text shortened]... ot [your favourite, and indeed only argument out side of 'god said so']
is totally irrelevant.
This is why Christians who are in the "know" are at loggerheads with Atheist's position of the natural and unnatural. When you mentioned plants, poison, etc., you fail to understand the curse.
In the beginning there were no "thorns or thistles". This was brought about after sin. When the new earth is finally restored, there will be no poisons, roses or other plants with thorns.
So what you see here now is the result of the Devil who opposes all that God deemed good. He has corrupted almost everything. Plants, animals, sex, etc. He is in full control of his world.

T

Moves
06 Apr 16

One problem with condemning homosexuality purely on the basis that it's condemned in the Bible is that there are many other things that are condemned in the Bible that they don't similarly condemn, e.g., the wearing of garments made of more than one type of fiber, the eating of shellfish, etc. So clearly they don't actually believe that everything in the Bible that is condemned should be condemned. Yet they condemn homosexuality purely on that basis. They pick and choose to support their prejudice whether they want to admit it or not.

For that matter, in general they pick and choose what teachings to believe and not to believe. As an example I cited the belief that "women should be silent in the church." This comes from Paul. Paul said a number of things about women that, from what I can tell, the vast majority of Christians do not believe are true. They typically dismiss Paul's beliefs about women as being a product of the prejudices of his time and culture. But aren't Paul's beliefs about homosexuality also a product of the prejudices of his time and culture? Once again they pick and choose to support their prejudices whether they want to admit it or not.

Fortunately there are many Christians who have come to understand the bigotry that underlies such a position and are fighting against it - just as many Christians have come to understand the immorality of slavery even though the Bible has God explicitly condoning it in the Bible. That Mississippi remains a backward state should come as no surprise to anyone given their ongoing history.

Cape Town

Moves
06 Apr 16

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
One problem with condemning homosexuality purely on the basis that it's condemned in the Bible is that there are many other things that are condemned in the Bible that they don't similarly condemn,...
And as I pointed out, paedophilia is not condemned in the Bible, but checkbaiter clearly has reasons to think it is immoral or sinful (not quite clear). Oddly enough he was extremely reluctant to explain why he believes it is immoral - even though he brought it up as an immoral act closely tied to homosexuality.

T

Moves
06 Apr 16

Those who seek to fight against the bigotry exhibited by some Christians on this forum should look at the following website. By and large it is well thought out and points out how bigotry underlies their position.

Bible Abuse Directed at Homosexuals

Goals

To make it clear, it is not the goal here either to debate the relevance or infallibility of biblical scripture or to proselytize; the two goals are as embodied in the two major sections. The first goal is to look at exactly who it is that commits abuse of the Bible and directs it at homosexuals – and why. This is not, as some would have you believe, everybody except the homosexual fringe.

Second, the site tries to determine what the original biblical texts actually say (as opposed to what people with political – not Christian – agendas would have them say). Unfortunately, this is not at all a simple process. The languages in which the Bible was first written down have all changed beyond recognition by modern native speakers of those languages. In addition, the cultures for and about which the Bible was written – both before the Exile and once the remnants of Judah had returned from captivity in Babylon – were strikingly different from modern society (in particular, it must be hoped, in the regard for individual human life). No longer do we prescribe death for an entire city, tribe, or nation for the sins of a few people; no longer are slavery or racial superiority just taken for granted; no longer are women treated as property – women are even able and allowed to read the Bible! Times and languages have changed, and unless a person is seriously deranged enough to advocate the extermination of entire populations simply because models for it occur in the Bible, we must use judgment in applying the lessons of this scripture.

http://stopbibleabuse.org/

From the Conclusions page:
As you may have observed by now, attempts to distort the Bible into a message of hate are badly misguided. The passages in Leviticus and Paul’s three letters specifically apply to people engaging in ritual activity in pagan temples, a feature absent from modern society except in such places as Wall Street. The references to ‘sodomites’ in Deuteronomy, etc., are a clear error in translation that refer to the same thing. The Sodom and Gomorrah references clearly refer to inhospitality and not to homosexuality at all. In addition, there are sections in the Bible that – if adequately translated – confirm God’s love for all of his children, gay included...In the Real World, rabid fundamentalists are doing nothing more than citing Biblical passages to support their pre-existing anti-gay prejudice – precisely doing what Southerners once did to justify slavery (which the Bible condones with considerably more clarity).

T

Moves
06 Apr 16
3 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
And as I pointed out, paedophilia is not condemned in the Bible, but checkbaiter clearly has reasons to think it is immoral or sinful (not quite clear). Oddly enough he was extremely reluctant to explain why he believes it is immoral - even though he brought it up as an immoral act closely tied to homosexuality.
Positions that are built upon bigotry are never rational. All one need do is shine the light of truth upon their position to expose them as you have done in the example you cite with Checkbaiter. They love the darkness and hate the light. Don't expect CB or the others to offer any rational explanations anytime soon.

rc

Moves
06 Apr 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Appeals to personal considerations sir are only necessary when you demonstrate a difficulty in empathizing with the considerations of others. A predisposition is a causation when we are dealing with something as humanly fundamental as a sex drive or sexual orientation. Comparing this impulse with a compulsion to shoplift is a nonsense.
now you are just falling into fiction and making it up as you go along.

Moves
06 Apr 16

now you are just falling into fiction and making it up as you go along.
Not at all sir. I have merely read books you haven't.

You have differentiated between a predisposition and a causation and i have demonstrated that they are not mutually exclusive. Why is your opinion factual and mine fictional and made up?

Please answer in 38 words.

rc

Moves
06 Apr 16
3 edits

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Not at all sir. I have merely read books you haven't.

You have differentiated between a predisposition and a causation and i have demonstrated that they are not mutually exclusive. Why is your opinion factual and mine fictional and made up?

Please answer in 38 words.
You have demonstrated nothing of the sort except an enviable propensity for talking unadulterated balderdash! all you have done is make a claim, a ludicrous claim that predisposition is a causation which I have ably and admirably demonstrated is nonsense. If it were the case then any rapist could make the claim that 'it woz is genes wot made him done it.' Is that what you are saying? Is it? Go on I dare you to say it!

I reject all such quackery!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
06 Apr 16

You have demonstrated nothing of the sort except an enviable propensity for talking unadulterated balderdash! all you have done is make a claim, a ludicrous claim that predisposition is a causation which I have ably and admirably demonstrated is nonsense. If it were the case then any rapist could make the claim that 'it woz is genes wot made him do ...[text shortened]... Is that what you are saying? Is it? Go on I dare you to say it!

I reject all such quackery!
It's a lot more complex than just genes. There is 'epigenetics' which is the effect of environment on genes, such as poppa being an alcoholic, giving weakness in genes of the children and even grandchildren.

There are sibling effects also, a boy raised with say, 3 sisters only, no brothers, will tend to pick up feminine traits and vice versa.

That just scratches the surface of the whole subject of sexual orientation.

The fact is, it is with us now at some low percentage, 2 ish percent of the population will be gay no matter what the punishment like in Nigeria, I think is the country that recently enacted laws making it illegal to be gay. All a law like that will do is ensure gay men will be put in prison with other men....

It has been here in the past thousands of years ago and will be here in the future a thousand years from now and there is nothing your gnashing of teeth and wailing will do anything about that fact.