1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Oct '17 08:16
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    This reality you speak of can it be objectively verified or is it only subjective?
    More importantly, can you ever tender a sentence that doesn't include the words objectivity and subjectivity?
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    29 Oct '17 18:44
    Originally posted by @kellyjay
    This is what I said, if morality was up to us, which one of us? If you claim all of us than every view and opinion are equal, if you say just those that X, whatever X is, how do you put X above everyone else? ...
    I think it's a mistake to assume that if morality is up to us then all opinions are equal. What you did there is to take the idea that morality is not proscribed to us via some overarching objective view, and forced that idea to exist only within that objective view!

You say that if morality is subjective, then all of those subjective views must be equal. 'Equal' according to what view now? Clearly you are asking for the individual views to submit to some sort of objective standard.

The bible advocates slavery. According to the objective standard you advocate.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    29 Oct '17 18:58
    Originally posted by @kellyjay...
    This is what I said, if morality was up to us, which one of us? If you claim all of us than
    every view and opinion are equal, if you say just those that X, whatever X is, how do you
    put X above everyone else? You are claiming a our views are what matters, yet our
    views do not agree with each other, so there is a problem....
    We all decide right from wrong. We do this as individuals, and we don't do it from a vacuum. Nature and nurture. So many interesting aspects to consider!

But I don't think that being told right from wrong is good enough anymore. Since santa died, really.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Oct '17 20:01
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    This reality you speak of can it be objectively verified or is it only subjective?
    Humans are not objective. Even if there is an objective moral code, our ability to interpret is subject to our limitations [experiences, bias, etc.] and necessarily subjective.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Oct '17 20:06
    Originally posted by @apathist
    We all decide right from wrong. We do this as individuals, and we don't do it from a vacuum. Nature and nurture. So many interesting aspects to consider!

But I don't think that being [b]told
    right from wrong is good enough anymore. Since santa died, really.[/b]
    So there really isn’t such thing according to you.
  6. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    30 Oct '17 16:14
    So there really isn’t such thing according to you.
    What? How did you get that?

There is right and wrong. Which? depends on whether you are feeding or being eaten. This is what your god built.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Oct '17 16:54
    I think it's a mistake to assume that if morality is up to us then all opinions are equal. What you did there is to take the idea that morality is not proscribed to us via some overarching objective view, and forced that idea to exist only within that objective view!

You say that if morality is subjective, then all of those subjective views must be equ ...[text shortened]... tive standard.

The bible advocates slavery. According to the objective standard you advocate.
    A standard, okay who and then why should anyone listen to someone else’s standards they may disagree with it for any reason? What makes one human point of view better than any other?
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    30 Oct '17 17:09
    A standard, okay who and then why should anyone listen to someone else’s standards they may disagree with it for any reason? What makes one human point of view better than any other?
    Bingo. Don't think you must be told right from wrong. Instead, decide for yourself.

It's funny because that is what everyone already does. Everyone.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Oct '17 17:17
    Bingo. Don't think you must be told right from wrong. Instead, decide for yourself.

It's funny because that is what everyone already does. Everyone.
    I do think that, but it should only be done with someone with the proper authority. You have any one in mind whose authority covers the whole human race?
  10. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 15:37
    I do think that, but it should only be done with someone with the proper authority. You have any one in mind whose authority covers the whole human race?
    "should only be done with someone with the proper authority" you say.

You have the proper authority to say so, right? AND 'proper authority' must meet your requirements, right?
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 21:29
    A standard, okay who and then why should anyone listen to someone else’s standards they may disagree with it for any reason? What makes one human point of hview better than any other?
    Listen to all points of view.

The more generally inclusive, human(e) ,wholistic ideas are always more relevant than the divided and narrow views that theists have . They aren't 'better' but definitely more practical
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 23:05
    I do think that, but it should only be done with someone with the proper authority.
    Why should it?
    Seems to be working fine at the moment.

In fact I would argue that the more secular a society is the better the rules governing that society have become.

I would not want to go back to laws which torture and kill as punishment.
    Burn witches.
    And outlaw certain sexual practices.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    31 Oct '17 23:30
    "should only be done with someone with the proper authority" [b]you say.

You have the proper authority to say so, right? AND 'proper authority' must meet your requirements, right?[/b]
    It is a matter of authority, you want to claim a standard, than by what, or whose authority should be used? Someone who makes claims of authority will be listened to why? If there isn’t a central authority than, to repeat the obvious there isn’t one.

I believe we are aware of a standard, because we spend a great deal of time making excuses for our bad behavior. I believe we know we are in a world with love as a standard, so when we treat others with anything short of love is always done with excuses and some justification due to our guilty conscience.

I believe we are all under a standard of love now, therefore we need salvation because of our ugly sinful lives. A standard will never come from one of us or any group of us. God has created a world with one built into it.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 03:53
    It is a matter of authority, you want to claim a standard, than by what, or whose authority should be used?
    In the modern world we give authority.
    We give it to the police.
    We give it to the judiciary.
    We give it to politicians.
    In the main it works.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Nov '17 04:361 edit
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    In the modern world we give authority.
    We give it to the police.
    We give it to the judiciary.
    We give it to politicians.
    In the main it works.
    I strongly disagree.

In the main it does work .... at keeping people subdued and stupid.
    I'll let those type have their authority if they can first prove they deserve it, and we should all know that about half the cops just dont deserve it.

Dont even get me started on pollies.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree