Moses was a terrorist

Moses was a terrorist

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
04 Feb 15

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
If your beef with googlefudge is based on a feud from past threads, then I'll butt out now. But I couldn't help but notice that the offense seemed a bit forced, based solely on the content of this thread.
It is.

But it's exactly the same feud repeated over and over again.

Never with any greater cause than here.

We have incompatible beliefs, and she doesn't like hers being questioned...

Which makes me wonder why she's here, not that I want her to leave,
but it's a bit rich to complain about people criticising her beliefs and
trying to change her mind when she does the same to others.

Moves
04 Feb 15

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Human emotions are designed to appreciate;
they have zero capacity for rational thought,
without which discussion is impossible.
Gibberish speech is designed to confuse;
It has zero capacity to convey meaning;
Without which discussion is impossible.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
04 Feb 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
Am I allowed to walk down a street in Indonesia?
Why wouldn't you be?

Cape Town

Moves
04 Feb 15
1 edit

Why wouldn't you be?
I just thought I might have more of a chance of getting you to eat your hat if I walked down an Indonesian street. They have local terrorists there. They are also not primarily English speaking as far as I know, so are lest likely to be affected by western media.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
04 Feb 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
I just thought I might have more of a chance of getting you to eat your hat if I walked down an Indonesian street. They have local terrorists there. They are also not primarily English speaking as far as I know, so are lest likely to be affected by western media.
Tell you what. If you buy a ticket to Indonesia from Zambia, and actually go there, I'll get out my best flatware and chow down.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Feb 15
2 edits

If your beef with googlefudge is based on a feud from past threads, then I'll butt out now. But I couldn't help but notice that the offense seemed a bit forced, based solely on the content of this thread.
Oh, that he will deny with his dying breath, but yes, he and I have 'gone around' several times already.

Once I wrote a post that turned into an essay on respect, and how we should respect each others' beliefs. (Not respect, as in 'take them to heart' or follow them, but to merely allow that people are different and what one believes need not be what everyone believes, or vice versa.) I included that not only should atheists respect that theists believe in God, but that theists also need to respect that atheists have no belief in any god and that we can disagree, but we just need to show each other some simple human dignity. It got thumbs up from theist and atheist alike, that is, until GF showed up. He raked me over the coals (I do not mean simple disagreement, but an almost-literal raking over the coals) for writing that an atheist shouldn't respect a theist for anything, how they are not entitled to respect of any kind. How theism has killed more people than any other human condition, all in the name of a fictional "god-figure", and that theism should be vilified as the evil it is and that atheists should fight against theism at every opportunity: in governemnt, in business and in personal relationships. As you can well imagine, this started a whole chain of events, and saw the end of my fantasy of reducing some of the activism and fundamentalism in this thread that results in the screaming matches. Even I got it into my head that if you can't make peace with your opponents, then you should prepare for war, and war it has been ever since. Things have indeed mellowed a little with time, but the antagonism is still there. This is why I tend to not turn the other cheek, but to slap back on occasion. 😕

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Feb 15

Originally posted by FMF
You think so? I think people quite often display outrage instead of engaging an argument or stance. Sometimes they do both. Sometimes they set the outrage aside and debate. But I think it isn't even controversial ~ let alone "bottom feeding" ~ to point out that people will try to make their own protestations of being offended take the place of making a counter-argument against what it is that is said to have offended them. It happens all the time.
Stop taking your "generally acknowledged to be true" statements about the general population and applying them to me. Then, typically, when I take offense you stand back and say "What? What I said is true." Well, yes, but not in this particular instance (actually, every time you try to apply it to me). And you know this. It never stops you from painting with the wide brush, though. So, yeah, bottom-feeding. But that's what you do. It happens all the time.

You don't know the background of why certain things are being said here, and so I'd advise you to stay out of it. You were doing well, but I imagine you couldn't resist the opportunity to appear "chummy" with someone who apparently disagreed with me. Butt out.

F

Moves
04 Feb 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
Oh, that he will deny with his dying breath, but yes, he and I have 'gone around' several times already. Once I wrote a post that turned into an essay on respect, and how we should respect each others' beliefs. (Not respect, as in 'take them to heart' or follow them, but to merely allow that people are different and what one believes need not be what everyone believes, or vice versa.) I included that not only should atheists respect that theists believe in God, but that theists also need to respect that atheists have no belief in any god and that we can disagree, but we just need to show each other some simple human dignity. It got thumbs up from theist and atheist alike, that is, until GF showed up. He raked me over the coals (I do not mean simple disagreement, but an almost-literal raking over the coals) for writing that an atheist shouldn't respect a theist for anything, how they are not entitled to respect of any kind. How theism has killed more people than any other human condition, all in the name of a fictional "god-figure", and that theism should be vilified as the evil it is and that atheists should fight against theism at every opportunity: in governemnt, in business and in personal relationships. As you can well imagine, this started a whole chain of events, and saw the end of my fantasy of reducing some of the activism and fundamentalism in this thread that results in the screaming matches. Even I got it into my head that if you can't make peace with your opponents, then you should prepare for war, and war it has been ever since. Things have indeed mellowed a little with time, but the antagonism is still there. This is why I tend to not turn the other cheek, but to slap back on occasion. 😕

This must have all been really galling for you, what with your own implacable opposition to antagonism and all. 😉

F

Moves
04 Feb 15

Stop taking your "generally acknowledged to be true" statements about the general population and applying them to me. Then, typically, when I take offense you stand back and say "What? What I said is true." Well, yes, but not in this particular instance (actually, every time you try to apply it to me). And you know this. It never stops you from painting with the wide brush, though. So, yeah, bottom-feeding. But that's what you do. It happens all the time.

You don't know the background of why certain things are being said here, and so I'd advise you to stay out of it. You were doing well, but I imagine you couldn't resist the opportunity to appear "chummy" with someone who apparently disagreed with me. Butt out.

Your "outrage" on this thread ~ and just about all threads where you seem to be brandishing "outrage" ~ always seems manufactured and exaggerated. I think many people, including you, dodge points and questions by portraying themselves as outraged. This is my observation after reading your posts for years. 🙂

Moves
04 Feb 15

Oh, that he will deny with his dying breath, but yes, he and I have 'gone around' several times already.

Once I wrote a post that turned into an essay on respect, and how we should respect each others' beliefs. (Not respect, as in 'take them to heart' or follow them, but to merely allow that people are different and what one believes need not be what eve ...[text shortened]... still there. This is why I tend to not turn the other cheek, but to slap back on occasion. 😕
i agree that people should show each other certain levels of dignity.

i agree we should try to respect each others beliefs, but with an exception -

- if peoples beliefs threaten violence, or subjugation then that persons beliefs should not be respected.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
05 Feb 15
1 edit

Originally posted by googlefudge
Gibberish speech is designed to confuse;
It has zero capacity to convey meaning;
Without which discussion is impossible.
There's no need whatever to become threatened by points of view which are diametrically opposed to your own.

Footnote: Unless you're privately experiencing a gnawing conviction that the views you hold may be dead wrong.

F

Moves
05 Feb 15

There's no need whatever to become threatened by points of view which are diametrically opposed to your own.
Oh the irony.

P

Moves
05 Feb 15

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
Christian Bale was interviewed about his portrayal of Moses.

His view is that Moses was a terrorist.

-He claims he is doing God's work, that he speaks for God.
-He engaged in 10 plagues. These plagues targeted Egypt's water supply, crops, etc. All of them target civilians and the military indiscriminately.
-The last plague killed children, a chil ...[text shortened]... rom the supernatural factors, what difference is there between moses and palestinian terrorists?
Was it Moses that caused the plagues?

The terrorists cause the terror.

If Moses caused the plagues, he would be the most powerful human that ever was. But he was not.

Moves
05 Feb 15
1 edit

Once I wrote a post that turned into an essay on respect, and how we should respect each others' beliefs. (Not respect, as in 'take them to heart' or follow them, but to merely allow that people are different and what one believes need not be what eve ...[text shortened]... still there. This is why I tend to not turn the other cheek, but to slap back on occasion. 😕
The search functions on this forum are terrible, I wanted to post what I actually
said because it's not what Suzianne says it said.

What I said then, before, and after, is that wrong, harmful, unsupported faith based
beliefs [such as religious people hold] do not deserve respect.

This is entirely not the same as not respecting the person or their right to hold such
beliefs.

I have said this countless times but Suzianne still doesn't get it.

As an example, she believes that her god will cause an Armageddon [probably in our lifetimes]
in which the world will be wrecked and I [along with everyone else who isn't part of her special
magic club] will be unceremoniously killed...

And she expects and demands that I respect THAT BELIEF????

This is, was, and always will be my point.

At some point I hope Suzianne will understand it, but as ever I don't have much hope.

EDIT: Also... I will deny we have been fighting?? since when? Particularly since I
already said that we have such a feud earlier this thread.

Moves
05 Feb 15

Footnote: Unless you're privately experiencing a gnawing conviction that the views you hold may be dead wrong.
I wasn't threatened by your post.

I was baffled by it.

Due to it being incomprehensible gibberish.