Mothers & Wives - as its Mothers Day

Mothers & Wives - as its Mothers Day

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
12 May 14

Originally posted by Rajk999
To JS357 and Stellspalfie, if this thread is about women why would I be interested in discussing men? And do you really have to ask me if men need to have good qualities as well? Are you serious?

It appears you people are hell bent on condemning everything that comes out of the Bible. What a waste of time you jokers are.

My last post in this thread.
if this thread is about women why would I be interested in discussing men?

because we are discussing sexism. which involves comparing the attitude towards woman with the attitude towards men.

And do you really have to ask me if men need to have good qualities as well?

thats not the question that was asked....and you have the cheek to question my reading comprehension.

It appears you people are hell bent on condemning everything that comes out of the Bible.

the bible has lots of good messages. my criticism was actually aimed at you and not the bible for suggesting modern woman should aspire to a specific set of outdated, gender specific roles.

i think thats probably a good idea.

rc

Moves
12 May 14

Originally posted by stellspalfie
[b]She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.

seems pretty literal to me, especially when the content of nearly every line is relating to housework. even more so when you add the context of the time it was written and the attitude towards woman during that time.

question for you - do you think the list also applies to men?[/b]
seems pretty literal to me

then i suggest that you engage your imagination for clearly the passage refers to industriousness, practical ability, creativity, not merely to spinning wool or cotton.

Moves
12 May 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Rajk999
To JS357 and Stellspalfie, if this thread is about women why would I be interested in discussing men? And do you really have to ask me if men need to have good qualities as well? Are you serious?

It appears you people are hell bent on condemning everything that comes out of the Bible. What a waste of time you jokers are.

I didn't think my questions were loaded and don't care to be lumped together with Stells (or anyone) -- it's informative to see you do that. But you clearly didn't understand my questions the way I intended. I didn't ask you if men need to have good qualities.

Personally I think that after seeing the Bible summary for the woman, the Bible could just say a good man is a man who deserves a good woman. Maybe that's implied.

Moves
12 May 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
seems pretty literal to me

then i suggest that you engage your imagination for clearly the passage refers to industriousness, practical ability, creativity, not merely to spinning wool or cotton.
"clearly"

go ahead robbie, explain to me why it is clear the author is using metaphor?

rc

Moves
12 May 14

[b]"clearly"

go ahead robbie, explain to me why it is clear the author is using metaphor?[/b]
I have not said the author is using a metaphor, what i have actually said is that certain principles can be derived if one is prepared to use ones imagination. For someone that claims to be open minded as you do, you sure have a narrow perspective when it comes to scripture.

Moves
12 May 14

I have not said the author is using a metaphor, what i have actually said is that certain principles can be derived if one is prepared to use ones imagination. For someone that claims to be open minded as you do, you sure have a narrow perspective when it comes to scripture.
ah, well thats slightly different. if you are deriving principles from a text does not mean the text is not literal. if it is not literal then it is metaphor/analogy/simile. you are just taking its literal meaning then applying the principle to other things.

if you extrapolate the literal text then you have no guidance by the other to the limits of his meaning. you are therefore guessing. the only thing we do know for certain is the literal meaning of the text. which happens to be rather sexist, regardless of the extra meaning you are imagining for it.

rc

Moves
12 May 14
3 edits

ah, well thats slightly different. if you are deriving principles from a text does not mean the text is not literal. if it is not literal then it is metaphor/analogy/simile. you are just taking its literal meaning then applying the principle to other things.

if you extrapolate the literal text then you have no guidance by the other to the limits of ...[text shortened]... xt. which happens to be rather sexist, regardless of the extra meaning you are imagining for it.
just guessing? sexist? what is this nonsense? When we were at school we were issued with interpretation exercises all the time, you were given a piece of literature and asked to interpret it based upon certain features, apparently this art is now just sexist guessing😲

Moves
12 May 14

just guessing? sexist? what is this nonsense? When we were at school we were issued with interpretation exercises all the time, you were given a piece of literature and asked to interpret it based upon certain features, apparently this art is now just sexist guessing😲
what features did you use to interpret the text?

rc

Moves
13 May 14

what features did you use to interpret the text?
ummm my brain

Moves
13 May 14

ummm my brain
you were given a piece of literature and asked to interpret it based upon certain features

your brain???

rc

Moves
13 May 14

[b]you were given a piece of literature and asked to interpret it based upon certain features

your brain???[/b]
ok features in the literature, ok, what about the language? that might be a starting point, the words!

Moves
13 May 14

ok features in the literature, ok, what about the language? that might be a starting point, the words!
like what, give an example. what literary clues are there that extra meaning is intended?

rc

Moves
13 May 14

like what, give an example. what literary clues are there that extra meaning is intended?
literary clues? there was an entire passage produced for you to interpret!

Moves
13 May 14

literary clues? there was an entire passage produced for you to interpret!
the literary clues are within text indicating that there is more meaning than the literal text. the ensures that the reader can interpret the text to correct way. if no clues are given then how does the reader know if any extra meaning is intended.

you believe that there is extra meaning. im asking you how you know? what is in the text that indicates extra meaning is intended?

rc

Moves
13 May 14

the literary clues are within text indicating that there is more meaning than the literal text. the ensures that the reader can interpret the text to correct way. if no clues are given then how does the reader know if any extra meaning is intended.

you believe that there is extra meaning. im asking you how you know? what is in the text that indicates extra meaning is intended?
I have not added any extra meaning that is not there, the spinning wheel has been used as a symbol of simplicity and anti colonialism by Ghandi as on the Indian flag, is it so much of a stretch of the imagination to say that it may also be used to express industriousness, practical ability, resourcefulness, i don't think so. But if you wish to take a literal view then I suspect that the symbolism of Ghandis spinning wheel will also be lost on you, for there are many levels of understanding and a literal interpretation is at the base.