Motivation of Atheists and Christ Deniers?

Motivation of Atheists and Christ Deniers?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

Moves
24 Mar 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
27 accounts here and he still can't process that.
Trolling ‘cause you ran out of gas on substance? No surprise there. Try visiting the petrol station once or twice a year.

P

Moves
24 Mar 23

@moonbus said
“They”? To whom are you referring ? I don’t (use the theory of evolution to explain anything other than speciation).
It doesn’t explain speciation. It explains changes within a species. Two very different things.

P

Moves
24 Mar 23

@ghost-of-a-duke said
It's as daft as thinking all Capricorns are grumpy and will be traveling abroad this week.

I had lunch this afternoon with 2 colleagues who would both describe themselves as atheists. The first doesn't believe in gods but does believe in ghosts, the second thinks we owe our existence to visiting aliens while I advocate for an eternal universe.

Go figure.
Who picked up the check? I know you didn’t. When you see the waitress bringing the check is usually when you head to the bathroom.

Am I right?

P

Moves
24 Mar 23

@moonbus said
Yeah, just as daft as thinking all Christians think the world is only 6,000 years old.

Verily, verily, the Church is no humble carpenter. I sometimes think the Quakers got closest to the original communities of Jesus' followers in the Levant: no priesthood, no monolithic 'corporation' which tells people what to believe and tortures people for believing something else; just ...[text shortened]... ing nothing. Sometimes they confess something. And they're pacifists. Makes pretty good sense to me.
I choose not to take advice on Christianity from an atheist. No offense.

F

Moves
24 Mar 23

@kellyjay said
What is it you are saying here that there is no "proof" for God, the evidence in all of creation does not point to God because that would be kin to proof, not faith. Do you believe that all faith is blind faith?
How is "all of creation" "proof" that - specifically - your God figure is real?

Über-Nerd

Moves
24 Mar 23

@plantermoo said
I choose not to take advice on Christianity from an atheist. No offense.
As Suzianne points out, we have free choice. So believe what you choose. But as I suppose even KJ must admit, truth is truth even if spoken by the devil.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Mar 23

@plantermoo said
Darwin didn’t follow scientific standards, not when it comes to his wild guess that the diversity of life arose by the same mechanism that produces changes within a species.
I think he was shooting for the best possible explanation given what he thought he knew at the time.

Moves
24 Mar 23

@plantermoo said
Trolling ‘cause you ran out of gas on substance? No surprise there. Try visiting the petrol station once or twice a year.
Trolling is the thing Russ has banned you for on multiple occasions.

Über-Nerd

Moves
24 Mar 23
1 edit

@kellyjay said
I think he was shooting for the best possible explanation given what he thought he knew at the time.
Organic molecules have been detected on an asteroid:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/21/world/ryugu-asteroid-organic-molecules-scn/index.html

So maybe life did come 'from above' after all. Both literally and allegorically.

Über-Nerd

Moves
24 Mar 23

@plantermoo said
You’ve adopted a position with no evidence or justification to support it.

Do you buy the lie that the human genome and chimp genome are 99 percent similar and that only that 1 percent difference accounts for all of the anatomical and intellectual differences between humans and chimps?
You wonder at the gigantic difference between humans and all other animals. It really comes down to only one thing, and it's just what Suzi says it is: we have free choice. They don't. Apes and every other creature just does what their physiologies tell them, eat, sleep, procreate, avoid predators. We, uniquely among the animals, can do something else than what our physiologies tell us to do; we can stay at our posts under fire when our amygdalas are screaming "run for your life!" And that makes all the difference there is. We have reasons for doing what we do; apes have only physiological causes for what they do. No further explanation required.

P

Moves
24 Mar 23

@moonbus said
You wonder at the gigantic difference between humans and all other animals. It really comes down to only one thing, and it's just what Suzi says it is: we have free choice. They don't. Apes and every other creature just does what their physiologies tell them, eat, sleep, procreate, avoid predators. We, uniquely among the animals, can do something else than what our physiologi ...[text shortened]... we do; apes have only physiological causes for what they do. No further explanation required.
Where did this free choice come from?

And you think free choice alone accounts for us walking on the moon when chimps, our so-called closest relatives, are still swinging from trees, eating bananas and flinging poo at each other?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Mar 23

@moonbus said

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/21/world/ryugu-asteroid-organic-molecules-scn/index.html

So maybe life did come 'from above' after all. Both literally and allegorically.
I posted about this type of thing years ago with a link from a chemist that worked on one who consulted with I believe Miller from the URI Miller experiment. This isn’t what you think 🤔!

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Mar 23

@moonbus said
As Suzianne points out, we have free choice. So believe what you choose. But as I suppose even KJ must admit, truth is truth even if spoken by the devil.
Satan quotes scripture but there is no truth in him.

Über-Nerd

Moves
24 Mar 23
2 edits

@plantermoo said
Where did this free choice come from?

And you think free choice alone accounts for us walking on the moon when chimps, our so-called closest relatives, are still swinging from trees, eating bananas and flinging poo at each other?
Where free choice came from is having the intellectual capacity to understand the consequences of our actions. It's about seeing causal relations and saying, 'this would be a good outcome, that would be a bad outcome.' Chimps have a rudimentary ability to 'see' consequences; ours is slightly better, but unevenly distributed across individual specimens. Dogs can be trained not to follow their desires and instincts, they can be trained to sit and stare at a bowl of food until their masters say 'ok.' It's the same ability we have to follow a Commandment rather than immediate gratification of desire; it's only a difference of degree and of usage, not a quantum leap which only a god could bridge.

Where we got the smarts to send rockets to the moon was by throwing off the yoke of Christian dogma which held mankind in the Dark Ages for 1,000 years.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Mar 23

@moonbus said

First life is the topic pushing it off world doesn’t answer the questions.

Life comes from life, God is life the uncaused cause He started life here, and told the life He created to multiply.

He made Adam and with Adam made Eve, they sinned fell away from God. The 2nd Adam Jesus Christ came and restored us to God, out of Christ life was given to God’s people, God’s church now has life from God.

I heard someone say like God used Adam to create Eve, God used Jesus to create His church. Driving home the point outside of Christ there isn’t life that is found in God, outside of Christ we die in our sins.