1. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 14:334 edits
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Q: Why Did God Forsake Jesus on the Cross? I have heard it taught it was because Jesus became sin for us and God cannot stand sin. Is this true?

A: We do not believe that God forsook Jesus on the cross. The following transcription will cover this question in great detail.

We are going to be looking at one of the more difficult verses of scripture i ...[text shortened]... .truthortradition.com/articles/eloi-eloi-lama-sabachthani-my-god-my-god-why-have-you-forsaken-me
    I don't think that anyone is actually claiming that God did forsake Jesus, we are more interested in the interpretation of Christ's words. Also the link you gave makes no mention of the verse.

Are we to understand that Jesus cried out, 'My God My God why have you forsaken me', because Jesus actually became sin and because God cannot stand sin this is why Jesus cried out 'My God My God why have you forsaken me?' If this is the case then its a new interpretation to me.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 14:42
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I don't think that anyone is actually claiming that God did forsake Jesus, we are more interested in the interpretation of Christ's words. Also the link you gave makes no mention of the verse.

Are we to understand that Jesus cried out, 'My God My God why have you forsaken me', because Jesus actually became sin and because God cannot stand sin this ...[text shortened]... y God My God why have you forsaken me?' If this is the case then its a new interpretation to me.
    The link or transcript talks of both, the meaning and the verse..
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 14:522 edits
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    The link or transcript talks of both, the meaning and the verse..
    Yes but i cannot find where it states why Jesus uttered these words other than a reference to Psalm 22 which the article says Jesus quoted because he wanted people to know that he was the Messiah. I did read it rather quickly though because it was very long and wordy, like a jaywill post only longer and wordier.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 15:06
    Yes but i cannot find where it states why Jesus uttered these words other than a reference to Psalm 22 which the article says Jesus quoted because he wanted people to know that he was the Messiah. I did read it rather quickly though because it was very long and wordy, like a jaywill post only longer and wordier.
    Try reading it slowly, I don't think you will be disappointed...🙂
  5. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 15:54
    I heard a teaching on Psalm 22 and Jesus on the cross not long ago. Apparently, when the Jews memorized scripture they would recite the first few sentences of a book because they had no reference like we do today. When Jesus said "My God, My God why have you forsaken me" he was referencing what is known to us as Psalm 22. Can you imagine the realization of the deception that those present (those crucifying, Pharisees) felt when he uttered those words? Psalm 22 depicts the very scene at crucifixion and those present, astounding!

I don't know if I accept Jesus saying what he did because because he wanted people to know who he was/is, he was dealing with something way more than what people thought of him at that moment. I cannot even begin to understand it.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 16:071 edit
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    I heard a teaching on Psalm 22 and Jesus on the cross not long ago. Apparently, when the Jews memorized scripture they would recite the first few sentences of a book because they had no reference like we do today. When Jesus said "My God, My God why have you forsaken me" he was referencing what is known to us as Psalm 22. Can you imagine the realization ...[text shortened]... way more than what people thought of him at that moment. I cannot even begin to understand it.
    Yes, it is however a direct quotation form Pslam 22 and very interesting indeed.

I read that what Jesus was feeling was the weight of sin and he was experiencing separation from God for the only time in all of eternity. I don't know if I agree with that either. Jesus was not a sinner, he did not sin, he was perfect, sinless, blameless, an unblemished sacrifice. There is not a shred of evidence in the account which states that Jesus became overwhelmed by the weight of sin and I don't know where the idea originates from either.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 16:24
    I think the title of this thread does pose a challenge to those who adhere to the doctrine of the trinity, as it does seem strange that Jesus would effectively be asking the question to himself. (To me at least).
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 16:30
    Yes, it is however a direct quotation form Pslam 22 and very interesting indeed.

I read that what Jesus was feeling was the weight of sin and he was experiencing separation from God for the only time in all of eternity. I don't know if I agree with that either. Jesus was not a sinner, he did not sin, he was perfect, sinless, blameless, an unbl ...[text shortened]... became overwhelmed by the weight of sin and I don't know where the idea originates from either.
    Yes, even the phrase "My God, My God why have you forsaken me", or similar was commonly used in the old testament Psalms.
    I think Jesus was reminding the people of the account in Psalm 22, especially what was happening right before their eyes. I think Jesus was and is incredible!
  9. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 17:22
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I think the title of this thread does pose a challenge to those who adhere to the doctrine of the trinity, as it does seem strange that Jesus would effectively be asking the question to himself. (To me at least).
    Don't forget, Jesus was man and experienced that thing that all men feel.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 17:39
    Originally posted by yoctobyte
    Don't forget, Jesus was man and experienced that thing that all men feel.
    Understood. 🙂

In my first post in this thread i wrote:
    'I always understood as an expression of Christ's humanity. Don't all humans cry out to their God or to justice when experiencing such physical (and unwarranted) torment?'

It was not my intention to question the humanity of Jesus, but to understand why he would cry out to God, if he was indeed God himself. Have studied the Trinity, but still can't get my head around it.
  11. Joined
    03 Sep '13
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 17:43
    Understood. 🙂

'I always understood as an expression of Christ's humanity. Don't all humans cry out to their God or to justice when experiencing such physical (and unwarranted) torment?'

It was not my intention to question the humanity of Jesus, but to understand why he would cry out to God, if he was indeed God himself. Have studied the Trinity, but still can't get my head around it.
    I'm with you on this.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 18:38
    Understood. 🙂

I read one text which stated that God could not have forsaken Christ because that would have meant breaking the triune God.😲
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 20:02
    I read one text which stated that God could not have forsaken Christ because that would have meant breaking the triune God.😲
    Someone sent you a text stating God could not have forsaken Christ?

The texts i get usually involve reminders to buy milk.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 20:41
    A challenge indeed!😉
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Oct '15 20:45
    Someone sent you a text stating God could not have forsaken Christ?

The texts i get usually involve reminders to buy milk.
    no silly, i mean the text of an article 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree