1. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 00:42
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The parable of the Talents immediately follows the parable of the ten virgins.
    Matthew 25:14-30 again referring to the kingdom:

“For it is just like a man about to go on a journey, who called his own slaves
    and entrusted his possessions to them. To one he gave five talents, to
    another, two, and to another, one, each according to his own ability; and
    h ...[text shortened]... place
    there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Again this sounds like capitalism to me.
    me thinks someone needs to teach you the significance of those parables. suffice it to say, they are not about capitalism. you should instead look to the concrete things jesus said about how you should behave. those are the epitome of communism as it should have been.

once you learn that, read the history of the early christians. before the empire of rome "mandated" christianity and brought it into its pagan roots by introducing pagan ideas like the trinity, many christians lived in agricultural communes.
  2. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 00:44
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    me thinks someone needs to teach you the significance of those parables. suffice it to say, they are not about capitalism. you should instead look to the concrete things jesus said about how you should behave. those are the epitome of communism as it should have been.

once you learn that, read the history of the early christians. before the empire ...[text shortened]... s by introducing pagan ideas like the trinity, many christians lived in agricultural communes.
    Yest another example of where modern christianity has diverted away from its original path.

Look at the Funadmentalist Protestant groups in the US, they are about a polar opposite to christs words of inclusion and support and community.
  3. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 00:56
    Originally posted by nook7
    Yest another example of where modern christianity has diverted away from its original path.

Look at the Funadmentalist Protestant groups in the US, they are about a polar opposite to christs words of inclusion and support and community.
    i would say complete polar opposites, to the point of being anti-christ.

they are for war and even make up the bulk of soldiers
    against public health care
    for capitalism (but against darwin ?! -- mental fart on that one )
    against tax raises
    nationalists/patriots--heavily involved in national politics--want church nationalized

and then we have christ:
    don't kill
    keep church separate from the nation
    on taxes, pay double the asking price
    live in fellowship, for each other
    don't lust after possessions
    care for the poor

nice man. i hope he doesn't return, the christians would crucify him!
  4. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 01:011 edit
    i would say complete polar opposites, to the point of being anti-christ.

they are for war and even make up the bulk of soldiers
    against public health care
    for capitalism (but against darwin ?! -- mental fart on that one )
    against tax raises
    nationalists/patriots--heavily involved in national politics--want church nationalized

and then w
    care for the poor

nice man. i hope he doesn't return, the christians would crucify him!
    Indeed.

Seems like a top bloke - the sort you would happily buy a beer for at your local.

l think when he next drops in for a visit (he is rather erratic - first he drops in 3 days after leaving and now it has been like 2000 years!) he would be rather shocked at how more people & things are excluded than included.

He would surely have some fundy pop him for spouting the very things they hold as sacred (insert maniacal laughter here at the absurdity of it all....)
  5. St. Peter's
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 01:11
    Another example of Christ's kingdom being more like capitalism than
    communism.

Matthew 25:1-13

Parable of Ten Virgins

“Then the kingdom of heaven will be comparable to ten virgins, who took their
    lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish, and
    five were prudent. For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil
    wi ...[text shortened]... at in a communist system there is no need to be prudent because
    all will share what is needed.
    you make Christians look like a bunch of ignorant boobs. You are not helping. Please stop, you are embarrasing yourself.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 01:29

once you learn that, read the history of the early christians. before the empire ...[text shortened]... s by introducing pagan ideas like the trinity, many christians lived in agricultural communes.
    Sure there is a deeper significance to these parables, but still it is
    capitalism at work. Yes, I know there have been various group,
    many of them cults, that have experimented with communism;
    none of them were able to make it work.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 01:30
    Originally posted by Doward
    you make Christians look like a bunch of ignorant boobs. You are not helping. Please stop, you are embarrasing yourself.
    You can't take the truth either, huh?
  8. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 01:33
    Sure there is a deeper significance to these parables, but still it is
    capitalism at work. Yes, I know there have been various group,
    many of them cults, that have experimented with communism;
    none of them were able to make it work.
    it didn't work because the capitalists came in and killed them all.
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 03:042 edits
    The early churches as communities also testified of a kind of "heavenly communism," if you will.

God definitely used the liberation from the covetousness of personal property as a strong evidence of His power in men's hearts.

"And the heart and soul of the multitude of those who had believed was one; and not even one said that any of his possessions was his own, but all things were common to them. " (Acts 4:32)

"For neither was anyone among them in need; for as many as were owners of lands or of houses sold them and brought the proceeds of the things which were sold and placed them at the feet of the apostles; and it was distributed to each, as anyone had need." (Acts 4:34,35)

In the first local church God demonstrated His power in men's hearts by moving them to share all things in common.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 03:13
    Do I understand you correctly, are you poking fun a capitalism? Do you
    really think living under the communist system would be better?
    I think you got it a bit off here. You have to undergo remedial sarcasm training again.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 04:53
    Originally posted by jaywill
    The early churches as communities also testified of a kind of "heavenly communism," if you will.

God definitely used the liberation from the covetousness of personal property as a strong evidence of His power in men's hearts.

[b]"And the heart and soul of the multitude of those who had believed was one; and not even one said that any of his possessi ...[text shortened]... God demonstrated His power in men's hearts by moving them to share all things in common.
    Sharing is one thing and a good thing which can be done in capitalism
    as well; but communism is another thing and we have had many
    governments demonstrate it is not good.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 05:42

It sounds like you have been influenced by the Jehovah's Witnesses.
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 05:461 edit
    Originally posted by jaywill
    Since most of my posts are verbose and I think some people don't endure to read them all the way through, this thread I reserve for very very short things I want to say.
    If you are successful in keeping them very very short, then maybe we can call this the jaywill fortune cookie thread.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 05:49
    Sharing is one thing and a good thing which can be done in capitalism
    as well; but communism is another thing and we have had many
    governments demonstrate it is not good.
    Actually we have had situations where the people who take over the government and tell you they are going to install communism, never seem to think the time is right to install it.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 05:51
    Originally posted by Doward
    mmmm..no sorry. At the end of the day one assumes the risk upon oneself. In the parable the master assumes no risk, capitalism is predicated upon risk/reward

but the parable isn't about that. its spiritually and intellectualy dishonest to try and represent it that way
    Don't you see any risk in the master trusting his slaves or servants
    with his money? The one that hid the money was trying to play it
    safe by not taking any risk with his masters money so that he might
    not loose it. But this was not what the master wanted.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree