1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 05:59
    Originally posted by nook7
    Yest another example of where modern christianity has diverted away from its original path.

Look at the Funadmentalist Protestant groups in the US, they are about a polar opposite to christs words of inclusion and support and community.
    This is interesting. Atheists claiming to understand Christ's words.
  2. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 06:341 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    atheists generally understand the bible better than christians [probably because, unlike most christians, they've actually read it]. that's why they're atheists.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 06:44
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    atheists generally understand the bible better than christians [probably because, unlike most christians, they've actually read it]. that's why they're atheists.
    Even if they read it, they do not understand it. They do not have the
    Holy Spirit to teach them. They are relying on their own understanding,
    which is inferior to the understanding received from the Holy Spirit.
  4. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 06:51
    the "holy spirit" hasn't done a very good job of teaching you anything.

but it is not the "holy spirit" that guides you. no, your spirit guide is coyote, or perhaps you send your praises to eris.
  5. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 10:15
    well my lifestyle choices (apart from not believing in a false god) are far more inline with the purported words of christ than what l have seen from you.

The bigotry on display in many fundamentalist groups is sickening.
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 10:26
    Looking at your postings on this forum it seems the Holy Spirit hasn't done that good a job. For instance, this pearler -

I do not help people because they are poor. I do not believe it is my fault they are poor. So it does not matter to me if a person is rich or poor. I will only help a person if I feel like helping them. I do not believe Jesus requires me to help the poor before He will save me. I believe He will save me because I believe He is the Son of God and He has the power to raise me from the dead. I believe I
    have to treat other people the way I would like them to treat me. Nothing more than that. The poor should work to earn money so they are not poor. It is not my responsiblity to give them money for nothing. I do not owe anyone anything because they are poor.

Quite possibly the most Un-Christian diatribe i have ever read.
  7. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 10:52
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Looking at your postings on this forum it seems the Holy Spirit hasn't done that good a job. For instance, this pearler -

I do not help people because they are poor. I do not believe it is my fault they are poor. So it does not matter to me if a person is rich or poor. I will only help a person if I feel like helping them. I do not believe Je ...[text shortened]... cause they are poor.

Quite possibly the most Un-Christian diatribe i have ever read.
    RJ Hinds and his ilk are classic examples of the living contradiction that christianity has become. The post you quoted is a sickening example of this.

If l was a christian l would be asking him to please not describe himself as one (as some posters have!) to be compared to someone like this is a grave insult.
  8. St. Peter's
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 11:35
    Don't you see any risk in the master trusting his slaves or servants
    with his money? The one that hid the money was trying to play it
    safe by not taking any risk with his masters money so that he might
    not loose it. But this was not what the master wanted.
    he is a harsh and cruel master, one that reaps where he does not sow. In other words: you had better make a profit, or its coming out of your pay.
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 13:03
    ===================================
    =====================================

Atheists generally do not understand the Bible at all, except in the selective warped way in which their unbelief is reinforced.

In other words when they do read the Bible, it is like a man sitting down at a turkey dinner only to hunt for bones to choke on.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 13:21
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [b]===================================

Atheists generally do not understand the Bible at all, except in the selective warped way in whic ...[text shortened]... e Bible, it is like a man sitting down at a turkey dinner only to hunt for bones to choke on.[/b]
    But you believe every word of the bible? As objective reality?
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 13:301 edit
    Sharing is one thing and a good thing which can be done in capitalism
    as well; but communism is another thing and we have had many
    governments demonstrate it is not good.
    ===============================
    Sharing is one thing and a good thing which can be done in capitalism
    as well; but communism is another thing and we have had many
    governments demonstrate it is not good.
    ====================================

My purpose is not to champion communism or capitalism. My post is to balance your zeal to teach a kind of "God is on our side" Gospel, as if to be born under American capitalism is to already be halfway to heaven.

Christ does the right thing at the right time and in the right
    way.

Even in the Old Testament Solomon said that there is a time for everything. There is a time to seek and a time to lose. There is a time to keep and a time to throw away. (See Ecclesiastes 3:1-15)[/b]

The point is that to follow God one must be firm yet flexible. One must realize that right thing to do at the right time. There is a time to possess one's own guardedly, conservatively. And there is a time to relinquish liberally, to invest in others. I speak of, for the building up of the kingdom of God.

It is not ALWAYS time to be one way except to be attuned to what God is doing.

Besides this, for the disciples of Jesus to become unattached to personal property did not necessarily mean NOT having things. Quite the contrary. When God sees that a man can be freed from greed, He may just intrust more into his hands because He knows he will use it for God's purpose.

For example, consider the passage:

"Jesus said, Truly I say to you, There is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for My sake and for the gospel's sake, But that he shall receive a hundred times as much now at this time, houses and brothers and sisters an mothers an children and fields, with persecutions, and in the coming age, eternal lfie." (Mark 10:29,30)

Here Jesus spoke of reliquishing personal possessions for His sake only to be granted 100 times more things even in this age, not to speak of the coming age.

This is an economy not man made. This is God's economy. We cannot call it any "ism" invented by human wisdom. For the sake of Christ and the gospel you loosen your grip on personal possessions. And as a result of giving up God grants an encrease of possessions.

He knows that what passes through your hands will profit His kingdom.
  12. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    20 Aug '11 13:512 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    But you believe every word of the bible? As objective reality?
    Sonhouse,

I spoke very and unconstomarily harsh words to you which I cannot erase now.
    You got on my last nerve.

Though occasionally you do bring out some things which would make discussion more often your tone is really not at all openminded, but thoroughly destructive to the good news.

There is a point where Christ told His disciples not to cast pearls before hogs and not to give holy things to dogs.

This may sound like an insult. But I sincerely think Jesus did not mean it to be an insult as to call people hogs and dogs. I think He meant that some people are eaten up by their unclean, hostile, God opposing sinful nature. And we should CARE for them. We care for them in this case by not giving them more opportunity to be devoured by their unclean God opposing reactions.

In this case, love would be to not fuel you any longer. You are being eaten up by your vicious rebellion.

Go now. Count yourself as having won every argument with this gospel preacher.
    But know this. The Lord Jesus sent me to tell you of His death and resurrection for your salvation.
  13. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    21 Aug '11 00:57
    [b]===================================

Atheists generally do not understand the Bible at all, except in the selective warped way in whic ...[text shortened]... e Bible, it is like a man sitting down at a turkey dinner only to hunt for bones to choke on.[/b]
    unfortunately, this is generally not the case. in general, atheists do know the bible better than christians. most christians get their bible from the pew, most athestis get it from the bible.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Aug '11 03:351 edit
    Sonhouse,

I spoke very and unconstomarily harsh words to you which I cannot erase now.
    You got on my last nerve.

Though occasionally you do bring out some things which would make discussion more often your tone is really not at all openminded, but thoroughly destructive to the good news.

There is a point where Christ told His disciple ...[text shortened]... know this. The Lord Jesus sent me to tell you of His death and resurrection for your salvation.
    I have said some uncommonly harsh things in the past for sure and I apologize for that.

The main thing I rail against is the idea that the leaders of your faith mainly want to increase the size of their congregation and they just coincidentally live the live of luxury. I think you know just the hypocritical set I am talking about, like the old movie Elmer Gantry, remember that?

I have nothing against the common folk of the faith except for my observation they are all deluded.

I also rail against right wing christian nut jobs who try to force evolution, a science, to be taught along side of creationism, a faith. The two do not belong in the same classroom and I will fight the nut job factor to the limit of my ability.

It occurred to me if somehow they won the creationist fight over evolution, they would drop the pretend anti science stance in a heartbeat and let the rest of the world quibble over the meaning of evolution since they would have won.

All of a sudden they would be lovers of science and new science foundation money would flow.

It just seems hypocritical to me to force a faith based subject into a science classroom and I will never stop saying that.

It is clear there is some deeply felt need by some people, the majority, it seems, to have some kind of supernatural being in their lives, which I call delusion on a grand scale, whether it is Dasa and his ridiculous claim that humans have been around for billions or more years to the YEC, who think the Earth and all of us are less than 10,000 years old.

That in spite of continual discoveries like the rock core samples from under the ice at McMurdo Sound, showing clear year by year layers where we can actually see the last 50 years already known and made and accounted for, and then see the core samples in the rock under McMurdo taken at depths of thousands of feet.

Showing for instance, in the case of Antarctica, it was warm till about 14 million years ago, counting back the layers we know go in year by year and seeing certain kinds of diatoms that will live only at certain temperatures, we can chart the temperature year by year for the last 15 million years and see a lot of regular Antarctican cold weather with bouts of warm where actual plant fossils are found showing the place had to be warmer in the past, with implications for global warming in our own time.

The young earthers can't wrap their mind around real data like that because it goes against their own cognitive dissonance, a term which means rejecting common sense data that can prove to open minded people the earth is billions of years old but when they hear scientists disagree over whether the Earth is 4.5 billion years old or 4.4 billion years old, they take that as meaning the entire issue is now dead, look at all those scientists, they can't even make up their minds so clearly I am right and they are wrong. The calculations made in the bible tales are right, the Earth is less than 10,000 years old.

That is the kind of thing a rail at. Stuff like missionaries who go into cultures not their own and totally destroy the indigenous culture so they can feel so great they brought salvation to people who have had their culture for thousands of years brought to an end and now they have to attend some church, get their kids educated in western schools when what they really want is to be left alone to their own destiny. But NO, missionaries think they are WAY superior to ANY indigenous culture and can't wait to destroy it all in the name of their lord.

That makes me sick.

I saw that happen when I worked in Thailand.

It happened my mother is Mormon. When I was assigned a long term contract to work in Thailand, I had a weight allotment of 66 pounds I could carry with. So my mother asks me if I could carry this big box of mormon bibles and pass them out.
    I politely declined.

Well it wasn't two weeks later, in the town of Nakom Phenom on the shores of the Mekong river, I saw a mormon missionary family walking through town. They were walking single file, almost tip toeing through like they were stepping around dog doo doo, disdain clearly written on their faces.

Well I duly noted that rude behavior, the Thais are much more gracious in that regard than I. They have been conquered many times in the past, they just absorb them and a few hundred years later you can't tell them from Thai's.

Anyway, the crux of that tale is this:

About 6 months later, that same family went to Bankok on vacation and took pictures of the Emerald Buddha, a highly religious shrine there. So they took their films to the local photo shop (this is way before digital cameras) and had them developed.

So the job of the developer is to examine the photos and decide if there are dudes that need to be eliminated before charging the customer for blank positives.

So what he saw was this:

One of the mormon family members GOT UP ON THE HEAD of the Emerald Buddha. Now in the Buddhist faith, the butt is the low part of the body, spiritually speaking and the head the top of the spiritual body food chain.

So there he is astride the Emerald Buddha and his brother takes a picture, you can imagine, arms akimbo, smiling and such.

Then he gets down and the OTHER idiot brother gets astride the head of the Buddha. Same thing, arms akimbo, shyte eating grin on his face.

So they are so stupid and culturally dead, they take those photos to the local photo shop and guess what. Surprise, the photo dude is a Buddhist monk.

He was, to say the least, incensed. He called the police, showed them the pics.
    The brothers got thrown in jail for 6 months ( I thought it was a light sentence at the time) and THEN got deported with instructions never to come to Thailand again.

That I saw with my own eyes. But I also think of the destruction of the Axtecs by Cortez and the forced conversion of aborigines in Australia and Indians in the US.

Those things I will rail against till I am pushing up daisy's and I hope the message goes on with impressions on the daisy petals.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
  15. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Aug '11 14:091 edit
    unfortunately, this is generally not the case. in general, atheists do know the bible better than christians. most christians get their bible from the pew, most athestis get it from the bible.
    =================================
    ======================================

Some academic atheist philosophers you may anticipate have studied selectively the Bible. The average street atheists is not so Bible knowledgeable as you imagine.

That many Christians are not terribly familiar with the Bible, I would not contest. That many of them are passive and take for granted what they hear from a pew, may be true.

You are not talking to such a Christian now. And since I have participated in this Forum and many others I have not once in 12 or 15 years come across an Atheist who I thought knew the Bible better than I did. That would include Richard Dawkins, Chris Hitchens, and Sam Harris.

Bertrand Russell wrote "Why I am not a Christian". Bertrand Russell, though eloquent doesn't impress me as knowing the Bible all that well. They know it in a selective and warped manner in which their bias can be supported. That's all.

Famous Atheists like Madelene OHair wouldn't waste their time READING the Bible. And more often Atheists dispise the Scriptures so as to steer clear of reading it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree