Narrow path.....

Narrow path.....

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
08 Nov 18

@philokalia said
That would be an inappropriate characterization of my goal.
You introduced the words "lies" into the conversation, not me.

F

Moves
08 Nov 18

@philokalia said
That when something becomes repetitious, we could both say, "Alright, so this is my final word on it," and then the tone of the other's response would be a friendly one also seeking to resolve it, as opposed to one where new questions come up.

What do you think of that idea?
Post whatever you want.

F

Moves
08 Nov 18

@philokalia said
I know that they are not all folktales at all.
I am referring to the Bhagavad-Gita etc. etc. etc. Of course they are folktales.

F

Moves
09 Nov 18

@philokalia said
I would also say that Muslims are terrific allies of Christians but I do believe that their religion is wrong and has many teachings which are explicitly counter to the Gospels.
Be that as it may, but Muslims can go toe to toe with you when it comes to Appeal to Authority.

S. Korea

Moves
09 Nov 18

@fmf said
I don't characterize their folktales are "lies". Nor do I characterize the stories you related as "lies"; I characterize them as folktales.
So, are folktales generally considered to be true?

And are these considered as 'folktales' by those who believe them?

S. Korea

Moves
09 Nov 18

@fmf said
I am referring to the Bhagavad-Gita etc. etc. etc. Of course they are folktales.
The Bhagavad-Gita is described as this:

The Bhagavad Gita (/ˌbʌɡəvəd ˈɡiːtɑː, -tə/; Sanskrit: भगवद्गीता, IAST: bhagavad-gītā, lit. "The Song of God"[1]), often referred to as the Gita, is a 700 verse Hindu scripture in Sanskrit that is part of the Hindu epic Mahabharata (chapters 23–40 of the 6th book of Mahabharata).

It is referred to neutrally as scripture because scriptures are different from folktales.

How do you think most Hindus would feel if you put their religion in the same category as Paul Bunyan?

F

Moves
09 Nov 18

@philokalia said
So, are folktales generally considered to be true?
They are usually myths and legends embellished by the oral history and storytelling traditions.

F

Moves
09 Nov 18

@philokalia said
And are these considered as 'folktales' by those who believe them?
People can believe what they want ~ including you ~ but Appeal to Authority doesn't add any credibility.

F

Moves
09 Nov 18

@philokalia said
How do you think most Hindus would feel if you put their religion in the same category as Paul Bunyan?
Hindus are welcome here on this forum to share their perspectives.

S. Korea

Moves
09 Nov 18

Alright, FMF, but why do you think Wikipedia, other encyclopedias, professional publications, etc., would refer to the Bhagavad-Gita as scriptures, and not as folktales?

Why does this category exist?

I think it comes down to the concept of respect, right, and to agree to classify things along a set of terms that appeal to both people who believe the material and the people who respect the people who believe the material.

I respect Hindus, and so I will use respectful terms when I refer to their material.

Why don't you use terms that convey respect about the Bhagavad-Gita or the sayings of Saints? What is your angle on this one>?

F

Moves
09 Nov 18

@philokalia said
It is referred to neutrally as scripture because scriptures are different from folktales.
I see ancient Hebrew mythology [for example] as a set of ~ in many cases self-aggrandizing ~ folktales, and, when the ancient Hebrews were talking about things before there were humans and involving angels and demons etc., they're something akin - in terms of source and nature - to fairy stories. Is that not politically correct enough for you?

S. Korea

Moves
09 Nov 18

@fmf said
They are usually myths and legends embellished by the oral history and storytelling traditions.
And those things are not true, then, right. They're false. They are a long series of false claims.

Basically, you are trying to refer to these all as unbelievable lies and exaggerations, and trying to write them off every time you use the word.

At least, that is how I perceive it, and that is how mos tnative speakers of English perceive it, and that is why they use respectful language when referring to the beliefs of others, right?

F

Moves
09 Nov 18

@philokalia said
Alright, FMF, but why do you think Wikipedia, other encyclopedias, professional publications, etc., would refer to the Bhagavad-Gita as scriptures, and not as folktales?
I don't care. I am not "Wikipedia".

F

Moves
09 Nov 18

@philokalia said
I think it comes down to the concept of respect, right, and to agree to classify things along a set of terms that appeal to both people who believe the material and the people who respect the people who believe the material.
I think I am being respectful enough. I think I am being respectful to you.

S. Korea

Moves
09 Nov 18

@fmf said
I see ancient Hebrew mythology [for example] as a set of ~ in many cases self-aggrandizing ~ folktales, and, when the ancient Hebrews were talking about things before there were humans and involving angels and demons etc., they're something akin - in terms of source and nature - to fairy stories. Is that not politically correct enough for you?
But why don't you refer to it as their scriptures or as their religious views?

You are using terms that others find to be disrespectful. You are totally free to believe that, but when you employ certain terms, you are using language that they find to be disrespectful to their beliefs.

You fully well lknow that as a native speaker of English.

So, why do you want to bother and disrespect people? That's really the question.

As you have said to me before... I suggest that you answer this directly.