1. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    06 May '12 13:25
    Originally posted by Taoman
    That's the spirit!
    I wish I can contribute my bit to the discussions on Taoism or its predecessor Buddhism, but I have not much knowledge about these two except what I had read in " The Tao of Physics " by Fritjof Kapra. In one of my posts on some other thread, I had in fact, asked you and blackbeetle both, whether you two had read this book ? You must have missed this post. Anyway, please do have a look at this book esp.chapter 6 on Buddhism and chapter 8 on Taoism. ISBN 978-0-00-727292-1, 3rd edition published by Flamingo an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 May '12 00:20
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    I wish I can contribute my bit to the discussions on Taoism or its predecessor Buddhism, but I have not much knowledge about these two except what I had read in " The Tao of Physics " by Fritjof Kapra. In one of my posts on some other thread, I had in fact, asked you and blackbeetle both, whether you two had read this book ? You must have missed this po ...[text shortened]... 978-0-00-727292-1, 3rd edition published by Flamingo an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.
    I've read it.
    Although a re-read is in order.
    I think the understanding of the title (and general message) of that book is a very pivotal one.
    Its that "both religious and scientific yet neither" sound of the title that sets me into a clear space in my head .
  3. Joined
    24 May '10
    Moves
    07 May '12 04:161 edit
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    I wish I can contribute my bit to the discussions on Taoism or its predecessor Buddhism, but I have not much knowledge about these two except what I had read in " The Tao of Physics " by Fritjof Kapra. In one of my posts on some other thread, I had in fact, asked you and blackbeetle both, whether you two had read this book ? You must have missed this po ...[text shortened]... 978-0-00-727292-1, 3rd edition published by Flamingo an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.
    That's fine. My comment was also meant for robbie too. Good spirit.)

Sorry, must have missed that post but have been "away" for a bit.

Yes, I have read "Tao of Physics", but extended discussion would not be appropriate for this thread. Its pretty dated now and I found it heavy with maths and physics detail. But he did get the ball rolling with the Eastern philosophy connections. Goswami's "The Self Aware Universe" (or, perhaps just Awareness without a "Self" 😉 ) also comes to mind. I haven't got it, but I think it is more readable than Capra.

Here's the first of an interesting set of vids you may find interesting. Infinite Universe?

YouTube&feature=related

Probably need to start new thread if you want to discuss further. Way off topic here.
  4. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    07 May '12 06:53
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I've read it.
    Although a re-read is in order.
    I think the understanding of the title (and general message) of that book is a very pivotal one.
    Its that "both religious and scientific yet neither" sound of the title that sets me into a clear space in my head .
    Thanks for the comment. Yes, this book deserves a reread and a reread.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree