1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Nov '14 12:13
    http://phys.org/news/2014-10-scientists-enzyme-life.

Getting closer to the explanation of the origin of life creationists hate.
  2. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '14 12:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://phys.org/news/2014-10-scientists-enzyme-life.html
    Fixed.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Nov '14 14:02
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Fixed.
    Oops, chopped off part of the URL. My bad.
  4. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '14 15:28
    Oops, chopped off part of the URL. My bad.
    Excellent article though. Very exciting news indeed. 😀
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 08:38

"When I start to tell people about this, they sometimes wonder if we're merely suggesting the possibility of such an enzyme—but no, we actually made it," said Gerald F. Joyce, professor in TSRI's Departments of Chemistry and Cell and Molecular Biology and director of the Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation.

My dear sonhouse, this would be evidence of intelligent design and creationism, not evolution. 😏
  6. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 15:26
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    "When I start to tell people about this, they sometimes wonder if we're merely suggesting the possibility of such an enzyme—but no, [b]we actually made it," said Gerald F. Joyce, professor in TSRI's Departments of Chemistry and Cell and Molecular Biology and director of the Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation.

My dear sonhouse, this would be evidence of intelligent design and creationism, not evolution. 😏[/b]
    If leaving chemistry to itself and observing a new enzyme form is intelligent design in your view, I'm really hoping you yourself are not a designer - but if you are, hopefully it's in graphics or something equally harmless.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 17:36
    "When I start to tell people about this, they sometimes wonder if we're merely suggesting the possibility of such an enzyme—but no, [b]we actually made it," said Gerald F. Joyce, professor in TSRI's Departments of Chemistry and Cell and Molecular Biology and director of the Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation.

My dear sonhouse, this would be evidence of intelligent design and creationism, not evolution. 😏[/b]
    Now you moved the goalpost again. A couple of years ago, I mentioned science is on its way to making life in the labs and you said, that will never happen since you can't make life from rocks.

Now, presented with solid evidence that maybe we CAN make life from scratch, your goalpost has flown back about 50 yards.

You really need to keep your stories straight. I am older than you and I can still remember what went on in the past, and it looks to me like that would be because I don't live my life in fear of devils under every rock which has to be taking up a significant portion of your brain cpu power, that is, the few cells left for such things.

You really need to work on improving your memory so you don't make this kind of literary blunder in the future.

Knowing you, I think we will just be going over the same ground as we always do and you will inevitably do more literary blunders.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 20:421 edit
    If leaving chemistry to itself and observing a new enzyme form is intelligent design in your view, I'm really hoping you yourself are not a designer - but if you are, hopefully it's in graphics or something equally harmless.
    He said himself, "We actually made it." That is not leaving chemistry to itself, my young idiot. 😏
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Nov '14 20:48
    Now you moved the goalpost again. A couple of years ago, I mentioned science is on its way to making life in the labs and you said, that will never happen since you can't make life from rocks.

Now, presented with solid evidence that maybe we CAN make life from scratch, your goalpost has flown back about 50 yards.

You really need to keep your stories ...[text shortened]... be going over the same ground as we always do and you will inevitably do more literary blunders.
    I haven't moved any goalpost. I stand by my statement. It is up to them to prove me wrong. An enzyme is not life, old man. 😏
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 00:29

You'll hate it even more when it never happens.

We already have the only viable explanation. Creation.
  11. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 08:35
    He said himself, "We actually made it." That is not leaving chemistry to itself, my young idiot. 😏
    They assisted in the selection process (it would have been a million times slower in nature), but the enzyme formed as a result of leaving each batch to itself - hence they describe it as test tube evolution.

You're welcome. 🙂
  12. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 08:48
    I haven't moved any goalpost. I stand by my statement. It is up to them to prove me wrong. An enzyme is not life, old man. 😏
    The creationists ability to ignore the obvious when it doesn't suit them, and create elaborate structures of subterfuge to make their ill-supported ideas appear solid, is an interesting topic for research in and of itself. Enzymes are the catalysts without which life would be impossible, as you well know. This is, ignore it or not, a significant discovery in how life could begin.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 17:38
    They assisted in the selection process (it would have been a million times slower in nature), but the enzyme formed as a result of leaving each batch to itself - hence they describe it as test tube evolution.

You're welcome. 🙂
    Making the conditions to produce an amino acid did not produce any life and neither will making the right conditions for producing an enzyme. It is all fantasy land thinking. 😏
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 17:39
    The creationists ability to ignore the obvious when it doesn't suit them, and create elaborate structures of subterfuge to make their ill-supported ideas appear solid, is an interesting topic for research in and of itself. Enzymes are the catalysts without which life would be impossible, as you well know. This is, ignore it or not, a significant discovery in how life could begin.
    The obvious is that no life was produced. 😏
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Nov '14 18:35
    Making the conditions to produce an amino acid did not produce any life and neither will making the right conditions for producing an enzyme. It is all fantasy land thinking. 😏
    Come back and say that in another 20 years.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree