1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 21:15
    I'm always bashing religion - especially Christianity and to a lesser extent Islam. I know about Benny Hinn the Healer, the Inquisition, Muslim terrorists, bla bla bla.

Tell me some nice stuff. Give me the other side.
  2. At the Revolution
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 21:36
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I'm always bashing religion - especially Christianity and to a lesser extent Islam. I know about Benny Hinn the Healer, the Inquisition, Muslim terrorists, bla bla bla.

Nice stuff?!?
  3. Joined
    01 Feb '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 22:09
    my local priest gave me some candy and i posed naked for him as it was God wanted.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 10:21
    Originally posted by PawnChop
    my local priest gave me some candy and i posed naked for him as it was God wanted.
    ewww
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 10:24
    http://www.alltruebible.com/

read from this site for a complete guide of how to mess up your child by reading directly from the bible without alteration
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 11:26

I went to a Catholic Secondary School and have never met any more dedicated teachers before or since.
    The Catholic Church also runs many hospitals, orphanages etc.

What I do not know is whether or not religious people give more to charity on average than non-religious people. I do know that a lot of money people give at church goes where it shouldn't - but then that is a major problem with all aid organizations.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 11:55
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I went to a Catholic Secondary School and have never met any more dedicated teachers before or since.
    The Catholic Church also runs many hospitals, orphanages etc.

What I do not know is whether or not religious people give more to charity on average than non-religious people. I do know that a lot of money people give at church goes where it shouldn't - but then that is a major problem with all aid organizations.
    often believers give for the wrong reasons. most believers would give because god says so rather than because it's just. atheists don't have this problem. then again, the orphan getting the money doesn't care the reason. and neither does the pope benny when he gets a new gold(Au - real gold, not the color gold) robe and prada shoes(me wants to strangle that guy)

well i am a cynic in this matter so i might be subjective. i believe that most if not all acts of compassion are selfish(to feel righteous or good about ones self)
  8. Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 12:11
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    often believers give for the wrong reasons. most believers would give because god says so rather than because it's just. atheists don't have this problem. then again, the orphan getting the money doesn't care the reason. and neither does the pope benny when he gets a new gold(Au - real gold, not the color gold) robe and prada shoes(me wants to strangle that ...[text shortened]... hat most if not all acts of compassion are selfish(to feel righteous or good about ones self)
    Absolutely right!

Everything humans do have a self-serving motive. Whether or not it's a conscious decision is beside the point.

You name the deed, and I'll prove it's selfish.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 13:01
    well i am a cynic in this matter so i might be subjective. i believe that most if not all acts of compassion are selfish(to feel righteous or good about ones self)
    I disagree. I think a lot of people do acts of compassion simply because they think it is the right thing to do. They do not knowingly include the need to feel righteous in the decision. I do think that you are right about some people, and that some people do good simply to buy their way into heaven.

If you saw a child fall over in the middle of the street and a car is coming, would you rescue the child in order to feel righteous or good about yourself?
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 13:11
    I disagree. I think a lot of people do acts of compassion simply because they think it is the right thing to do. They do not knowingly include the need to feel righteous in the decision. I do think that you are right about some people, and that some people do good simply to buy their way into heaven.

If you saw a child fall over in the middle of the st ...[text shortened]... d a car is coming, would you rescue the child in order to feel righteous or good about yourself?
    that is true also, but i bet the thought of being a hero would still enter your mind as you jump to the rescue. also we (men) feel much better if we save a beautiful woman than a fat, less "miss universe" kind of beautiful woman. when we save a grandma we hope she will have lot's of money and name us sole heirs. or a gorgeous "miss universe" kind niece that would fall in love with us as a result. and so on. (don't know what selfish thought women have, can i get an opinion here from one? 😀)
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 14:08
    that is true also, but i bet the thought of being a hero would still enter your mind as you jump to the rescue. also we (men) feel much better if we save a beautiful woman than a fat, less "miss universe" kind of beautiful woman. when we save a grandma we hope she will have lot's of money and name us sole heirs. or a gorgeous "miss universe" kind niece that ...[text shortened]... o on. (don't know what selfish thought women have, can i get an opinion here from one? 😀)
    I agree that we may often have selfish reasons but that does not mean they are the primary reasons. I believe we have a fairly strong instinct to help others - especially children.
  12. Joined
    04 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 18:41
    I agree that we may often have selfish reasons but that does not mean they are the primary reasons. I believe we have a fairly strong instinct to help others - especially children.
    Is the instinct not selfish?

Think of selfish as a definition of the human state, not in negative connotation as it is often used.

We are selfish beings that serve our own purpose. Self-preservation is the greatest motive we have.

The strong instinct you mention is debatable, but it can be said that children are an extension of ourselves which is why some may have that feeling.

Also, to look in a different way, you may not save the child because you want to be a hero, but you save the child because you knew you couldn't live with yourself if you didn't, and that's the selfish motive.
  13. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 01:15
    Originally posted by brobluto
    Is the instinct not selfish?

Think of selfish as a definition of the human state, not in negative connotation as it is often used.

We are selfish beings that serve our own purpose. Self-preservation is the greatest motive we have.

The strong instinct you mention is debatable, but it can be said that children are an extension of ourselves which i ...[text shortened]... ecause you knew you couldn't live with yourself if you didn't, and that's the selfish motive.
    Um, why not just save the child because the child needs to be saved? Why not help people because they need it and you happen to be able to at that point in your life?
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 01:57

Matt 5: 3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
    5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
    6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
    7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
    8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
    9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
  15. round and round
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 02:14

First, some questions, mostly rhetorical:
    Why do you think you're always bashing religion?
    Why especially Christianity?
    If you can give some honest answers to those questions, perhaps you' ll know what motivated you to start this thread to begin with.

I don't know if this is what you had in mind when you asked for 'nice' stuff, but here goes (somewhat along the lines of things that have been discussed here already) -

"Scarcely on behalf of a good man will one die, yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree