1. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Feb '12 15:51
    I have to say, Divegeester, that I'm with Rajk999 on this one.
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    05 Feb '12 16:06
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    This is a very important point that many Christians miss totally. Christ has no interest in groups or denominations. Christ knows who his people are. My opinion is that the Christians Christ will choose will come from all denominations and from all people in general. It will come as no surprise to me [if Im fortunate to be present] if there are Hindus, Muslims and people from all over the globe chosen by Christ when he returns.
    Just a thought but did not Jesus say his followers would all be in "agreement"? Who in this forum is in agreement on every point in the Bible?
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    05 Feb '12 16:14
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Just a thought but did not Jesus say his followers would all be in "agreement"? Who in this forum is in agreement on every point in the Bible?
    And who wrote the bible? It wasn't Jesus.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    05 Feb '12 16:25
    Originally posted by rwingett
    And who wrote the bible? It wasn't Jesus.
    His Father was the author.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '12 16:544 edits
    Here is where we part company.

You belong to a group that places great emphasis on professing Christ with your mouth. That plus baptism gives salvation .. eternal salvation apparently.

My interpretation of all the doctrines of Christ and the Apostles lead me to conclude that Christ is interested in those who have changed their heart and have walked i e hearts of all people.

The Grace of God which is salvation through Christ, is for ALL men.
    I don't belong to any group, and I'm not sure you and I, despite getting along mostly here, were ever in the same "company".

I don't disagree with your post generally speaking but my comment beforehand was referring to you stating that you would not be surprised to meet Hindus and Muslims who have entered into Christ (you said in heaven or something similar).

In my understanding of the Christian faith this cannot happen, despite it [i.e. other religions being included) feeling all very multicultural and non-exclusive. Sorry I completely disagree with you.

To be clear, my belief is that there is only one name given under heaven by which men can be saved - Jesus.

Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." Act 4:12
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '12 16:551 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I have to say, Divegeester, that I'm with Rajk999 on this one.
    I'd be very surprised if a [hard] atheist thought otherwise.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '12 16:57
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I believe that the denomination system with all its arms, cults, creeds, financial entanglements and social manipulation is the mystery described in Revelation as the whore [and her daughters] of Babylon who sits on many waters, who has decked herself with purple robes and precious stones.

And you are correct in identifying the paradox trying to actua ...[text shortened]... OP; to see if others recognise the whore and how they congregate in the spirit of Jesus.
    I will re-look at the other replies now that I have verified where you were going with this. It does seem as the old JW - non-JW split is coming into play, yet again.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '12 17:00
    Originally posted by JS357
    I will re-look at the other replies now that I have verified where you were going with this. It does seem as the old JW - non-JW split is coming into play, yet again.
    My OP has nothing more than an incidental inference to JW's, it's about temporal religious organisations, cults and groups generally, which through their various machinations detract from the glory of Christ's completed redemptive work.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    05 Feb '12 17:27
    My OP has nothing more than an incidental inference to JW's, it's about temporal religious organisations, cults and groups generally, which through their various machinations detract from the glory of Christ's completed redemptive work.
    And in turn your passive opinion of "just believe in the lord and you are saved" detracts from what Jesus COMMANDED Christians to do.
    Matt the 24th and 28th chapters.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '12 17:412 edits
    Are there any in the this forum other than myself?

Do you congrgate elsewhere and how is it going?
    Wikipedia's entry on denominationism lists varieties of Christianity that generally recognize one another, and are recognized by one another, as Christian denominations. Does anyone disagree with this listing? Agree with it? Note that JW and LDS are not listed. Edit: Nor is UCC, at least by that name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denominationalism

quote:

Adventism
    Anglicanism
    Anabaptists
    Baptists
    Catholicism, although the Roman Catholic Church considers itself the original Church (and as such, "pre-denominational"😉, not a denomination Edit 2. Darn smileys!
    Congregationalism
    Lutheranism
    Methodism
    Eastern Orthodoxy The Orthodox churches consider themselves churches and not denominations.
    Pentecostalism
    Presbyterianism
    Reformed churches
    Restorationism

These families of churches can be further sub-divided.

Individual denominations or communions include:

The Anglican Communion (Anglican family)
    The Continuing Anglican churches (Anglican family)
    The Southern Baptist Convention (Baptist family)
    The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (Lutheran family)
    The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod (Lutheran family)
    The United Methodist Church (Methodist family)
    The Free Methodist Church (Methodist family)
    The Christian Reformed Church (Reformed family)
    The Reformed Church in America (Reformed family)
    The Roman Catholic Church (Catholic family)
    The Old Catholic churches (Catholic family)
    The Disciples of Christ (Restorationist family)
    The Churches of Christ (Restorationist family)
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Feb '12 17:57
    Which did Christ say "in agreement" or " in agreement on every point in the Bible" ? Do you have a reference ?
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Feb '12 18:05
    I don't belong to any group, and I'm not sure you and I, despite getting along mostly here, were ever in the same "company".

I don't disagree with your post generally speaking but my comment beforehand was referring to you stating that you would not be surprised to meet Hindus and Muslims who have entered into Christ (you said in heaven or something s ...[text shortened]... there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."
    Act 4:12[/b]
    It appears that you are telling Christ that he cannot grant salvation to whoever He wants. Christ will decide that.

That is what is meant by there is only ONE NAME .. ITS CHRIST that will decide who is acceptable. Those who simply CALL ON HIS NAME then do evil works, all the calling on his name is not going to help them.

I notice that you have no comment on Romans 2 : 11-16.
    Can you explain what it means?This is the Good News Bible version :

For God judges everyone by the same standard.

The Gentiles do not have the Law of Moses; they sin and are lost apart from the Law. The Jews have the Law; they sin and are judged by the Law.

For it is not by hearing the Law that people are put right with God, but by doing what the Law commands. The Gentiles do not have the Law; but whenever they do by instinct what the Law commands, they are their own law, even though they do not have the Law. Their conduct shows that what the Law commands is written in their hearts. Their consciences also show that this is true, since their thoughts sometimes accuse them and sometimes defend them.

And so, according to the Good News I preach, this is how it will be on that Day when God through Jesus Christ will judge the secret thoughts of all.
    (Romans 2:11-16)
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '12 18:291 edit
    It appears that you are telling Christ that he cannot grant salvation to whoever He wants. Christ will decide that.

That is what is meant by there is only ONE NAME .. ITS CHRIST that will decide who is acceptable. Those who simply CALL ON HIS NAME then do evil works, all the calling on his name is not going to help them.

I notice that you have no co ...[text shortened]... hen God through Jesus Christ will judge the secret thoughts of all.
    (Romans 2:11-16)
    [/quote]
    I don't like the way you are putting words in my mouth and softening it with "appears".

You are ignoring:

Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." Act 4:12

You are free to interpret Paul's message of 'inclusion' of the gentiles as an excuse to bypass the exclusivity of the name, personage diety of Jesus Christ as the sole route to salvation. I will not join you in that.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Feb '12 18:301 edit
    And in turn your passive opinion of "just believe in the lord and you are saved" detracts from what Jesus COMMANDED Christians to do.
    Matt the 24th and 28th chapters.
    You know very little of me and this post reveals that.
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    05 Feb '12 18:31
    Which did Christ say "in agreement" or " in agreement on every point in the Bible" ? Do you have a reference ?
    1 Corinthians 1:10
    Good News Translation (GNT)

Divisions in the Church
    10 By the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ I appeal to all of you, my friends, to agree in what you say, so that there will be no divisions among you. Be completely united, with only one thought and one purpose.

John 17:21

21 I pray that they may all be one. Father! May they be in us, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they be one, so that the world will believe that you sent me.

Philippians 1:27-28

27 Now, the important thing is that your way of life should be as the gospel of Christ requires, so that, whether or not I am able to go and see you, I will hear that you are standing firm with one common purpose and that with only one desire you are fighting together for the faith of the gospel.28 Don't be afraid of your enemies; always be courageous, and this will prove to them that they will lose and that you will win, because it is God who gives you the victory.

Jude 1:17-19

Warnings and Instructions
    17 But remember, my friends, what you were told in the past by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ.18 They said to you,
    When the last days come, people will appear who will make fun of you, people who follow their own godless desires.19 These are the people who cause divisions, who are controlled by their natural desires, who do not have the Spirit.
    Cross references:Jude 1:18 : Jude 1:18; 2Pet 3:3;

Do you need more?

When the word "agreement" is used by Jesus and the apostles, it means to agree.
    They did not say to argue, disagree, have your own opinions, cause divisions, splinter off and start your own churches, etc, etc.
    They said to agree on all things. If ones do not agree on all things, then they are not agreeing and are now disagreeing.

So now that Jesus told his followers to agree and you have ones who are Christians that do agree on all things but on the other hand you have Christians that do not agree on all things as none of the Christians here at RHP agree on all things ever, with the obvious exception, who is following Jesus's words and who is not?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree