Non fundamentalist Christians

Non fundamentalist Christians

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
07 Nov 12

The type who don't take the Word at its word. Who might find the idea of doing so ridiculous. Are there any on this board?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Nov 12

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
The type who don't take the Word at its word. Who might find the idea of doing so ridiculous. Are there any on this board?
Not defined in that fashion, no.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Nov 12
1 edit

Accepting the fundamentals of the faith does not make one a "fundamentalist" within the meaning you present here. Extreme fundamentalism is possibly a clearer definition. I see a few in here and know a few in real life. The ones I know in real life are good people trapped in a paradigm of ever decreasing [thought] circles which can lead to them exhibiting a somewhat misanthropic and even aggressive demeanor. If I ever come across this way, it's because I'm a being miserable git, not because I'm an extreme fundamentalist (which I’m not).

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
08 Nov 12

Originally posted by divegeester
Accepting the fundamentals of the faith does not make one a "fundamentalist" within the meaning you present here. Extreme fundamentalism is possibly a clearer definition. I see a few in here and know a few in real life. The ones I know in real life are good people trapped in a paradigm of ever decreasing [thought] circles which can lead to them exhibiti ...[text shortened]... cause I'm a being miserable git, not because I'm an extreme fundamentalist (which I’m not).
Here's the thing: the possibly total untrustworthiness of the Bible was not considered incompatible with the fundamentals of the faith until advent the Gutenberg era. With print came a shift from negative to positive theology that has had the undesirable result of fostering wide-spread idiocy among semi-literate believers.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
08 Nov 12

Is Kirk still around?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Nov 12

Fundamentalism may have different meanings for different people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_fundamentalism

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
08 Nov 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Fundamentalism may have different meanings for different people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_fundamentalism
He means Christians that aren't like you.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Nov 12

Originally posted by bbarr
He means Christians that aren't like you.
Suzianne doesn't think she is like his definition. However, she probably does not feel she is a Christian like me either.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
08 Nov 12

Originally posted by bbarr
Is Kirk still around?
I don't think he posts here anymore.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Nov 12

I would say that Christians who think it is ridiculous to believe in the Bible as the Word of God aren't Christians at all, fundamentalist or not.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Nov 12

Here's the thing: the possibly total untrustworthiness of the Bible was not considered incompatible with the fundamentals of the faith until advent the Gutenberg era. With print came a shift from negative to positive theology that has had the undesirable result of fostering wide-spread idiocy among semi-literate believers.
You're starting your argument with a false statement, thus rendering it all false.

Just saying "total untrustworthiness of the Bible" makes me stop listening. Even with the pansy modifier "possibly".

Add in "idiocy" and "semi-literate" and your ignorance is complete.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
08 Nov 12

Originally posted by rwingett
I don't think he posts here anymore.
*grumble* ...good 'ol days... *grumble*.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
08 Nov 12

Seems to be a catch 22 around here..

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
08 Nov 12

Originally posted by Suzianne
You're starting your argument with a false statement, thus rendering it all false.

Just saying "total untrustworthiness of the Bible" makes me stop listening. Even with the pansy modifier "possibly".

1) Christians are dumb.
2) Jesus loves the dumb.

Therefore...

3) Jesus loves Christians.

Is everything in the above argument false, because it starts with a false premise? Right. So that's a brief lesson in logic. You're welcome.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
08 Nov 12

Originally posted by Suzianne

My post is a condensed summary of historical opinions held by various Christian thinkers and recorded in Karen Armstrong's book The Case For God.

There was even a spiritual exercise that consisted in bringing to mind all the patent flaws and absurdities that the Bible contains, the better to enter the 'cloud of unknowing'.

Idolatry of the Bible is one of the more pitiful dispositions of semi-literate idiots.

Anyhow: a thought experiment: imagine all the Bibles in the world burnt up in a flash, every one of them, digital versions, paper versions, clay versions, the lot. Would your faith go up in smoke along with it? Or would you discover that you didn't need the Bible all along?