06 May '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '13 15:342 edits
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    The owners of the company hold views that matter to them, the gov is saying
    that the company must do what the owners don't want to. Taking the rights
    away from the people who own it.
    Kelly
    Ok.. So where is the limit where the views of owners give them the right to override the law?

The company doesn't have the right to pay workers less than minimum wage either. Is this a violation of church and state if my religion states that I can't pay workers that much?

Where is the limit in your opinion where the views that a company's owners can or can't give them authority to not obey the law?

Do you think that all government regulations on how a company is run are violations of a person's rights?

People do not have the absolute right to run their companies in absolutely any way they want.
  2. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '13 15:401 edit
    You put a "?" behind something you asked I answered, if you have something
    else you want answered be clear.
    Kelly[/b]
    It is unclear how you have actually answered the following questions. You haven't yet. You have made a claim about it violating the supposed rights of the company's owners to run the company how they want, but you haven't actually addressed the actual questions.

How is this specifically redefining church and state separation??

What do you mean by moving rights from individual to institutional?
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Jan '13 06:373 edits
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Obama Care Verses the First Amendment
    It would have been unthinkable at one time in our country, but not anymore. The federal government is running rough shod over an individual’s conscience and religious faith.

This past January 1st, the Hobby Lobby company began being punished by the federal government with a $1.3 million dollar daily fine for not ...[text shortened]... And while you still have rights under the Constitution of the United States, defend your rights.
    It is part of an ideological struggle -- good versus evil.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aKEsSzO34SQI

I see it as Satan's quest to redefine good and evil and turn evil into good and good into evil.
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '13 10:14
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Obama Care Verses the First Amendment
    It would have been unthinkable at one time in our country, but not anymore. The federal government is running rough shod over an individual’s conscience and religious faith.

This past January 1st, the Hobby Lobby company began being punished by the federal government with a $1.3 million dollar daily fine for not ...[text shortened]... And while you still have rights under the Constitution of the United States, defend your rights.
    should non-smokers refuse to pay for treatments of lung cancer caused by smoking?
    should fit people refuse to pay for treatments for obese people?

most civilized countries and a couple of other less civilized countries recognize one thing: in order for citizens to be productive and helpful for a society, they must have the certainty said society will care for them when they cannot work. the old, the sick, the cripple, the young. the society must care for them and they in turn will be productive members.

it is downright evil to say to a person they are going to die because a drug that might save them has been priced at 1 million dollars even if it costs 10 bucks to make and they do not have the right kind of medical insurance.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '13 16:55
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    should non-smokers refuse to pay for treatments of lung cancer caused by smoking?
    should fit people refuse to pay for treatments for obese people?

most civilized countries and a couple of other less civilized countries recognize one thing: in order for citizens to be productive and helpful for a society, they must have the certainty said society ...[text shortened]... lars even if it costs 10 bucks to make and they do not have the right kind of medical insurance.
    What do you think is going on with the Christians who, unlike you, do not embrace the teachings of Jesus?
  6. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    10 Jan '13 22:30
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    What do you think is going on with the Christians who, unlike you, do not embrace the teachings of Jesus?
    they are embracing the teachings of their pastors, priests. they are listening to glenn fukin beck instead of someone smart, like maher for example. who even if is an atheist, proud of it, and mocking religion, one can see how intelligent he is. how he is not afraid to reason for himself.

in the words of the 13th apostle, they are mourning their faith, not celebrating it.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Jan '13 18:06
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    they are embracing the teachings of their pastors, priests. they are listening to glenn fukin beck instead of someone smart, like maher for example. who even if is an atheist, proud of it, and mocking religion, one can see how intelligent he is. how he is not afraid to reason for himself.

in the words of the 13th apostle, they are mourning their faith, not celebrating it.
    Seems like there has to be more to it than that. If they had the teachings of Jesus as their foundation, it seems unlikely that listening to someone like Glenn Beck could change it. From what I can tell, many of them have the belief that they have been guaranteed "eternal life" / "heaven" / "salvation" as their foundation. As such, they are prone to adopt the teachings of others even if they are antithetical to the teachings of Jesus. What do you think?
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 11:03
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Ok.. So where is the limit where the views of owners give them the right to override the law?

The company doesn't have the right to pay workers less than minimum wage either. Is this a violation of church and state if my religion states that I can't pay workers that much?

Where is the limit in your opinion where the views that a company's owners c ...[text shortened]... ople do not have the absolute right to run their companies in absolutely any way they want.
    You got it backwards where does the govenment have the right to over ride
    the owner's religious views? The law protects people from the government, but
    now days those parts are cast aside as the government takes upon itself more
    power.
    Kelly
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 11:46
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Seems like there has to be more to it than that. If they had the teachings of Jesus as their foundation, it seems unlikely that listening to someone like Glenn Beck could change it. From what I can tell, many of them have the belief that they have been guaranteed "eternal life" / "heaven" / "salvation" as their foundation. As such, they are prone to adopt ...[text shortened]... ngs of others even if they are antithetical to the teachings of Jesus. What do you think?
    they don't have the teachings of jesus as their foundation. they replaced it with the pathological need to listen to someone else's opinions. there really is no other explanation why a christian, a follower of jesus, would say with a straight face that obamacare, something that would heal the sick, is anti christian.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 12:06
    The law protects people from the government, but now days those parts are cast aside as the government takes upon itself more power.
    Kelly
    In your view, when did these "now days" begin?
  11. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    12 Jan '13 20:553 edits
    The owners of the company hold views that matter to them, the gov is saying
    that the company must do what the owners don't want to. Taking the rights
    away from the people who own it.

I knew things were going downhill when my religious peyote was outlawed, and also when it was made clear we could have no more religious marriages of 12 year old girls to ...[text shortened]... t encroachment of religion. They have no right to tell us what to do in our religion.

Kelly
    Kind of like forcing companies to pay minimum wage or to adhere to child labor laws, or to pay overtime for working more than 40 hours per week. Sad. What has this country come to when owners of companies cannot employ 8-yr olds in sweatshop conditions at 70 hours per week for 10 cents a day. My religion tells me it is a good thing to work 8-yr olds.

I knew it was going downhill when the government outlawed my religious peyote, and also when it became clear that our religious marriage of 12 year old girls to 50 year old men was illegal. This should not stand. The government controlling our religion.

If I own a company and I want to discrimate against my women employees based on my religion and violate law and deny insurance coverage these employees are entitled to as with all employers, I should be able to.
  12. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 15:281 edit
    the owner's religious views? The law protects people from the government, but
    now days those parts are cast aside as the government takes upon itself more
    power.
    Kelly
    I'll repeat FMF's question because it's a good one.

When did these now days start???

the owner's religious views?

When there is a logical, secular reason that is to lead to a benefit within society and/or the employees who are directly affected. That's just off the top of my head and it's purposely vague because there is a gray area and I do believe the government should not be too involved in people's religious practices - but when those practices involve the treatment of their employees then there is a place for rules and regulations and people do not have an absolute right to treat their employees in any way they want no matter what their religion dictates.

Now I am assuming that your answer to your own question is "never". Correct me if I'm wrong.

Whether I'm wrong or not, if my religion includes animal sacrifice, should it be exempt from animal cruelty laws? Does the government have a right to override those religious views?

If my religion includes having gay marriage, can the government ban gay marriage since it would be violating my religion?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 19:271 edit
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    I'll repeat FMF's question because it's a good one.

When did these now days start???

[b]You got it backwards where does the govenment have the right to over ride
    the owner's religious views?

When there is a logical, secular reason that is to lead to a benefit within society and/or the employees who are directly affected. That's just off the arriage, can the government ban gay marriage since it would be violating my religion?[/b]
    He was referring to Christian religious views I believe. I doubt if he gives a crap about other religious views. I know I don't. 😏

P.S. Freedom of religion to the founding fathers of these United States of America was referring to the Christian denominations and not to any and all other false religions, such as witchcraft.
  14. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 03:27
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    He was referring to Christian religious views I believe. I doubt if he gives a crap about other religious views. I know I don't. 😏

P.S. Freedom of religion to the founding fathers of these United States of America was referring to the Christian denominations and not to any and all other false religions, such as witchcraft.
    You're a christian theocrat, we know that already.

You should have replaced that first P with a B and it would be an accurate preface to what followed.
  15. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 10:47
    Originally posted by RJHinds

heh, i believe more an more that you are a troll.

you created this incredibly idiotic persona and you come here spewing garbage to trigger a response from us. then you sit in your armchair and laugh your ass off at how stupid we are to believe anyone can be as stupid as you, and still be able to operate a computer.

the alternative would be that you really are this stupid and that would be kind of sad. and a clear sign we as a species are doomed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree