1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 23:00
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Again, have you ever had a course in physics or genetics? The bible has some interesting fables an an occasional moral principle, but it was written thousands of years ago by people who did the best they could at the time, but would you want to see a surgeon who was trained 2000 years ago, or even fifty years ago? I don't think so. You can stick with the ...[text shortened]... ee the falsities in all other belief systems but don't apply the same thinking to your own. ?
    Yes. No. No. Because Christianity is the truth.
  2. Maryland
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 23:33
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Yes. No. No. Because Christianity is the truth.
    Let me get this straight. You believe in resurrections, virgin births, and that Christ will come again? Sir, your are a lost soul, delusional and clearly beyond redemption. You are fooling yourself and your whole life is built on a lie. Further more, you are missing out on establishing a true meaning for your life because a meaning built on lies is no meaning at all.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 23:58
    Let me get this straight. You believe in resurrections, virgin births, and that Christ will come again? Sir, your are a lost soul, delusional and clearly beyond redemption. You are fooling yourself and your whole life is built on a lie. Further more, you are missing out on establishing a true meaning for your life because a meaning built on lies is no meaning at all.
    I'll second that. And the biggest problem is 2 billion people think exactly the same way. 2 billion people obsessing about a god and devoting all that energy to worship and such when the world really needs all the human intelligence it can muster to tackle REAL problems like global warming, poverty, education, the study of medicine, the study of evolution and genetics without all the obsessively god based distractions that robs us of our real gift, intelligence.

If 1000 people are working on a common problem, whatever that is, genetics, cancer, energy, whatever, and 200 of them are actively devoted to destroying the science behind it, then those 200 are killing 20 percent of our common intelligence pool.

We need all the help we can get to get us out of the corner we have painted ourselves into.

All the prayer and religious wars on the planet will not make the climate come back a bit faster. What it needs is real science, and that may in fact involve the study of evolution and genetics. We don't need millions of people robbing us of our real heritage, intelligence. The more we have to respond to specious attacks on evolution, the less brain power we have to devote to REAL problems in the world, for instance genetically altered bacteria that can poop oil. That is being done but creationist forces would have us firmly back in the tenth century forced to cut off any science or engineering in that direction or the use of placental stem cells for instance, for real medical breakthroughs.

Religion holds us back more than any other single negative force on the planet from the fight for survival we are desperately fighting for now. If you don't think it is a fight of desperation, you have your head in the sand and all the praying to your deaf god comes to absolutely nothing, zero, nada. Meanwhile, we are destroying species at a rate not seen for 65 million years and all the religious set can do is rail over the rights of gay people to get married or women to control their own bodies however they want. In short, religious people want to, no, DEMAND, to be in charge and direct the flow of intellectual effort in a vain attempt to get god like.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 00:37
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I'll second that. And the biggest problem is 2 billion people think exactly the same way. 2 billion people obsessing about a god and devoting all that energy to worship and such when the world really needs all the human intelligence it can muster to tackle REAL problems like global warming, poverty, education, the study of medicine, the study of evolution a ...[text shortened]... to be in charge and direct the flow of intellectual effort in a vain attempt to get god like.
    I am content to let you and your kind solve all the problems of the world.
    Hop to it!
  5. Maryland
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 02:06
    I am content to let you and your kind solve all the problems of the world.
    Hop to it!
    I am sure you are content to let others solve the problems of the world.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 03:201 edit
    I am sure you are content to let others solve the problems of the world.
    Yep. That's right.
    HalleluYah!
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 03:241 edit
    Yep. That's right.
    HalleluYah!
    I rest my case.

I did my bit, helped the Apollo astronauts get to the moon, held a moon rock in my hand.

Designed microscope RF analysis stages, optical objectives, did 4 years in Israel as the only Varian field service engineer in the country, at Intel in Jerusalem, saved Intel's butt many times by innovating tool design saving months of downtime on my specialty there, ion implanters. You probably don't know what that is, so google them.

3 of my kids attended the Anglican International School in Jerusalem, one graduated there.

Played music on national tv network seen by several million people, played music for 5000 people at times, had three separate bands playing folk music.

Have amateur radio license, talk to people all over the world, my personal favorite catch, scientists at McMurdo science station in Antarctica.

Worked on underwater hydrophone projects in the Bahama's, AUTEC, andros Island, google them if you want to know about them.

Worked as a microwave communications tech in Thailand for 2 years, right on the Mekong river.

Went to high school in Anchorage Alaska before it was a state.

As a field service engineer, I worked in just about every cleanroom in the US for 20 years, solving problems the PHd's could not.

Worked in such places as Bell Labs in New Jersey, RCA's David Sarnoff research center, Micron in Boise Idaho, where they offered me a job on the spot for fixing a 200,000 volt power supply that had their engineers baffled.

I solved the tough problems, saw what other folks missed.

So I think I have done my intellectual bit for the human race.

What have you done intellectually speaking?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 03:38
    I rest my case.
    You didn't have one to begin with. It was rested before you got started.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 03:41
    You didn't have one to begin with. It was rested before you got started.
    Why don't you read my whole post?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 04:09
    Why don't you read my whole post?
    Religion doesn't have anything to do with people being held back.
    It is their godliness and laziness that does that.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 05:173 edits
    Religion doesn't have anything to do with people being held back.
    It is their godliness and laziness that does that.
    You mean right wing christian nut jobs who kill abortion clinic doctors are not being held back by religion?

You mean the muslims in Africa killing tribesman when they refuse to convert to islam are not being held back by religion?

You mean creationists doing their best to force creationism myth to be taught by force in a science classroom they are not being held back by religion.

Just what is being held back then if not those examples?

So you admit 'godliness' holds people back. About time you saw that. Your word.

But you haven't answered my question: what have you done intellectually speaking for the good of mankind outside of your religious obsession?

I showed you my list, which, btw, also includes 4 years in the US military.

Tell me what you have done.
  12. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 05:41
    You mean right wing christian nut jobs who kill abortion clinic doctors are not being held back by religion?

You mean the muslims in Africa killing tribesman when they refuse to convert to islam are not being held back by religion?

You mean creationists doing their best to force creationism myth to be taught by force in a science classroom they are n ...[text shortened]... y list, which, btw, also includes 4 years in the US military.

Great example of actions speaking louder than words.

Thanks Sonhouse.

RJ Hinds you are worse than a disgrace.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 11:11

You mean creationists doing their best to force creationism myth to be taught by force in a science classroom they are n ...[text shortened]... y list, which, btw, also includes 4 years in the US military.

I served 20 years in the U.S. Military (Army), 1 year in the Veterans
    Administration Hospital, and 23 years in the U.S. Postal Service.
  14. Maryland
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 16:57
    I served 20 years in the U.S. Military (Army), 1 year in the Veterans
    Administration Hospital, and 23 years in the U.S. Postal Service.
    You have been a reputable citizen, and you are older than I would have guessed. I can understand why it's hard for you to acknowledge the absurdities of religion, because you have invested so much of your life in it. Life has no innate meaning, but you can dedicate it to a lie, or dedicate it to something of real meaning, or dedicate it to nothing at all.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 18:53
    You have been a reputable citizen, and you are older than I would have guessed. I can understand why it's hard for you to acknowledge the absurdities of religion, because you have invested so much of your life in it. Life has no innate meaning, but you can dedicate it to a lie, or dedicate it to something of real meaning, or dedicate it to nothing at all.
    I dedicate my life to the truth that is in the Holy Bible.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree