1. Maryland
    Moves
    07 Jul '11 16:21
    As an atheist, I generally avoid going into churches. Sometimes, though, it is unavoidable such as for weddings and funerals. Every time I go , though, I leave with an unclean feeling. This is because I think of all the lies and untruths, all of the bloodshed, the torturing of innocent (witches and unbelievers),the anti gay propaganda, child molestation, human sacrifice, drinking of blood and eating of flesh (even though it's symbolic), the blocking of stem cell research, etc. etc.

I am glad to get this off my chest!
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    07 Jul '11 16:33
    Originally posted by 667joe
    As an atheist, I generally avoid going into churches. Sometimes, though, it is unavoidable such as for weddings and funerals. Every time I go , though, I leave with an unclean feeling. This is because I think of all the lies and untruths, all of the bloodshed, the torturing of innocent (witches and unbelievers),the anti gay propaganda, child molestation, ...[text shortened]... olic), the blocking of stem cell research, etc. etc.

But are not atheist also gulity of these things?
  3. St. Peter's
    Moves
    07 Jul '11 18:181 edit
    As an atheist, I generally avoid going into churches. Sometimes, though, it is unavoidable such as for weddings and funerals. Every time I go , though, I leave with an unclean feeling. This is because I think of all the lies and untruths, all of the bloodshed, the torturing of innocent (witches and unbelievers),the anti gay propaganda, child molestation, olic), the blocking of stem cell research, etc. etc.

either that or you are dealing with some personal latent guilt...whatever...
  4. Maryland
    Moves
    07 Jul '11 18:31
    Originally posted by galveston75
    But are not atheist also gulity of these things?
    So far, I have not molested any children or burned any one at the stake.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '11 19:25
    As an atheist, I generally avoid going into churches. Sometimes, though, it is unavoidable such as for weddings and funerals. Every time I go , though, I leave with an unclean feeling. This is because I think of all the lies and untruths, all of the bloodshed, the torturing of innocent (witches and unbelievers),the anti gay propaganda, child molestation, ...[text shortened]... olic), the blocking of stem cell research, etc. etc.

Do you feel the greed, exploitation, incompetence, corporate fraud, and 'funny hand-shake' network every time you go into a bank?
  6. Maryland
    Moves
    07 Jul '11 19:44
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Do you feel the greed, exploitation, incompetence, corporate fraud, and 'funny hand-shake' network every time you go into a bank?
    Yes, but with a bank, I know that their purpose is to make money, and they are not hypocrites about it. Churches, however, are wolves in sheep's clothing. Some bankers may molest children, but not under the guise of their official duties.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Jul '11 19:46
    Charles Darwin discovered a love of killing. He wrote, "How well I remember
    killing my first snipe. My excitement was so great that I had difficulty in
    reloading my gun from the trembling of my hands. This taste continued
    long, and I became a very good shot."

Sigmund Freud believed that a female is a failed boy and a woman, a castrated
    man. He also believed that faith in God was a primative belief in an archetypal
    father and that giving credence to immortality was an attempt to compensate
    for man's earthly inadequacies. As a result of accidently seeing his naked
    mother, Freud became obsessed with an incestuous conquest of her and rivalry
    with his father. This desire to have sex with his mother, coupled with a disdain
    for his father, led him to the predictable conclusion that all boys desire to have
    sex with their mothers and to kill their fathers.

Friedrich Nietzsche wrote, "Man shall be trained for war, and woman for the
    recreation of the warrior: all else is folly." And, "Thou goest to women! Do not
    forget thy whip." Nietzsche spent his later years a victum of syphilis and an
    obsessively bi-sexual life. Nietzsche also wrote, "I call Christianity the one
    great curse, the one great innermost corruption, the one great instinct of
    revenge . . . I call it the one immortal blemish of mankind."

Only three examples of what Atheism has produced in our society.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '11 19:461 edit
    Yes, but with a bank, I know that their purpose is to make money, and they are not hypocrites about it. Churches, however, are wolves in sheep's clothing. Some bankers may molest children, but not under the guise of their official duties.
    So it's ok to molest children as long as you don't pretend you're not doing it?
  9. Maryland
    Moves
    07 Jul '11 19:58
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Charles Darwin discovered a love of killing. He wrote, "How well I remember
    killing my first snipe. My excitement was so great that I had difficulty in
    reloading my gun from the trembling of my hands. This taste continued
    long, and I became a very good shot."

Sigmund Freud believed that a female is a failed boy and a woman, a castrated
    man. He als ...[text shortened]... lemish of mankind."

Only three examples of what Atheism has produced in our society.
    There are religious people guilty of all the 3 things you listed. Years ago, for example, a woman in Texas drowned all of her children to be sure they went to heaven.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '11 20:09

That's too bad. Weddings and funerals are for the family and friends, gathered to honor, celebrate, commemorate, and/or support, in a major event of life. I hope you get to the point where these other associations don't intrude. You aren't asking for advice or to be analyzed, and I don't know if I have anything to say on that, so, best wishes.
  11. Maryland
    Moves
    07 Jul '11 20:21
    Originally posted by JS357
    That's too bad. Weddings and funerals are for the family and friends, gathered to honor, celebrate, commemorate, and/or support, in a major event of life. I hope you get to the point where these other associations don't intrude. You aren't asking for advice or to be analyzed, and I don't know if I have anything to say on that, so, best wishes.
    Thank you!
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jul '11 20:25
    Lol
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    07 Jul '11 20:31
    I didn't mean you, just in general.
  14. Maryland
    Moves
    07 Jul '11 20:38
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I didn't mean you, just in general.
    I was just pointing out that people are capable of doing good and bad whether they are religious or atheists. No one has a corner on either market.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    09 Jul '11 03:18
    I was just pointing out that people are capable of doing good and bad whether they are religious or atheists. No one has a corner on either market.
    Okay, I think you have your head in the right place now with this last
    statement. Now you don't need to avoid churches anymore than any
    other place, since you realize that you can find good and bad anywhere
    there are people.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree